Looking to buy a fiero! by pickerbenny
Started on: 04-19-2015 08:51 PM
Replies: 9 (228 views)
Last post by: FIEROPHREK on 04-20-2015 10:12 AM
pickerbenny

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2015 08:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pickerbennySend a Private Message to pickerbennyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey everyone, new to the fiero world. Just spotted a 1986 Fiero GT v-6 automatic with a brand new black mate black and new tires. engine has 78k on it. Of course the lights are a little sticky going up and a few chips but other than, its in beautiful shape. The thing that has me concerned is the guy is asking only $2000 for it. The engine runs ok, but the radiator fan wont go when the car first starts up, is that normal? Sounds like a few sticky valves when running. Interior is amazing. Apparently the guy is getting divorced and he originally bought it for his daughter and she didnt like it so he has to sell it?

Should there be a red flag for only $2000 asking price?

Thanks!

Ben
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2015 09:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It could be a very fair price, but don't let the body panels fool you. Do you know how to check for rust?
pickerbenny

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2015 09:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pickerbennySend a Private Message to pickerbennyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yea, checked the wheel wells and they look fine with minor surface rust.
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2015 09:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The radiator fan can by checked by running the AC. The fan doesn't come on unless the engine gers hot or the AC is on. Did you check for rust in the trunk?

[This message has been edited by tshark (edited 04-19-2015).]

pickerbenny

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2015 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pickerbennySend a Private Message to pickerbennyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yea, just looked like a dirty carpet. but i will check next time i take a look at it.

Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2015 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pickerbenny:

Yea, checked the wheel wells and they look fine with minor surface rust.

Just to be clear.....did you REMOVE the wheel wells? they are made out of plastic.

I would expect to find some rust at that price....the question becomes....how much?

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 04-19-2015).]

pickerbenny

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2015 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pickerbennySend a Private Message to pickerbennyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
no i did not remove the wheel wells. There isnt a single flake of rust on the outside of the car, however i will get a better look underneath it sometime this week.
David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2015 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

There isnt a single flake of rust on the outside of the car, however i will get a better look underneath it sometime this week.

There isn't a single visible body part that will rust, unless you're underneath.
Shine a flashlight up behind the rear wheel wells to see the bottom of the side shelves of the trunk.
Or, pull the carpet away from above to have a look.
Not a big deal to fix but may be an indication of the frame rail condition.
ltlfrari

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2015 11:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

no i did not remove the wheel wells. There isnt a single flake of rust on the outside of the car, however i will get a better look underneath it sometime this week.

That's because it's plastic!
Look at places like the trunk corners BEHIND the carpet, frame area under the batter box area etc. Basically, anywhere you can see metal!
If what you can see looks bad you can bet what you cannot see is worse!

------------------
Anything I might say is probably worth what you paid for it, so treat it accordingly!

Dave

www.ltlfrari.com

FIEROPHREK

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 137
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2015 10:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROPHREKSend a Private Message to FIEROPHREKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pull the left and right side of the trunk carpets back to reveal the sheetmetal underneath. Those areas are prone to rust out. Also look under the car in the rocker panel area. It will becovered with a plastic rocker cover but you will see the coolant transfer tubes and the underbody of the car. Also look at the battery mount on the passenger side of the car in the engine compartment. That area is prone to corrosion as well. To check the fan turn on the AC, the fan should kick on. Even if it does be aware that the fan switch on the engine sometimes fails and the fan will not come on when the engine gets to temprature. As long as you can kick it on with the ac you will be fine until the fan switch is replaced. That is of course if its bad. One more thing to look for is damaged coolant transfer tubes. shops are notorious for lifting the car and using those tubes as lift points, therefore damaging them.Most coolant tube damage happens just forward of the rear wheels. Check for sticking calipers 84-87 original calipers had phenolic piston that would swell in the bores when sitting for long periods.

------------------

ARCHIES JUNK IS FASTER THAN SHAUNNA'S JUNK

12.3 is faster than a 13.2

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock