Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  86 Coilovers and front shocks fit an 88?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
86 Coilovers and front shocks fit an 88? by DKcustoms
Started on: 04-07-2015 09:45 PM
Replies: 6 (536 views)
Last post by: Raydar on 04-08-2015 08:31 PM
DKcustoms

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2015 09:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DKcustomsSend a Private Message to DKcustomsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Haven't been able to find a good answer, so I have to ask.

Recently bought brand new Koni Shocks as well as coilovers from my 86.

But last week I bought an 88 formula that I am putting my 3800 in instead.

Therefore, will these shocks and coilovers fit on my 88? (Haven't looked up front to see the differences yet).
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2015 10:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The shocks won't.

The coilovers... should. You might have to swap on the top plate assembly from the 88, though. The struts are supposed to fit all years. You might find that the rear springs are a little short, if they were designed for the earlier cars. The 88 places the struts at a steeper angle.

The front springs... Were they designed for the 86?
They will fit under the 88, but they might be a little bit long. All things being equal, they should have a higher spring rate than the 88 springs. That is generally considered a good thing. 88 front springs are generally considered to be slightly-to-extremely soft, from a performance standpoint. Depending upon who you ask, of course.
I would just put 'em on and see how the car looks and handles. ESPECIALLY if they are lowering springs. I would definitely try them before buying something else (or cutting them.)

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 04-07-2015).]

DKcustoms

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2015 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DKcustomsSend a Private Message to DKcustomsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yea I noticed how much further inboard the rear struts are. That's one reason why I asked.
I'd definitely swap over the top hats.

I know the coilovers need to be adjusted anyway, when I bought them from a member here they have been adjusted differently, as the picture shows.

The springs are supposed to be either 1" or 1.5" lowering springs for the 86. And I know the 88's already sit a bit lower up front, or at least thats what I've been told. I might throw them in anyway.
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2015 11:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My 88 has 86 GT springs in the front. IIRC, they were cut down 1 1/4 coils.

DKcustoms

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2015 01:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DKcustomsSend a Private Message to DKcustomsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks good.
Thanks for the help.

What size wheels are those?

I have wheels from my SSEi that are 17s, was thinking about running 235/45 rubber.
But my formula came with 17s that are 225/45 I believe, might just replace those.
qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2015 12:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know that others have used the front 86/87 springs on the back of 88 struts to get a nice drop w/ good spring rate, not sure if they need cut or not. Don't toss the old springs, they will sell if you want to.

Rob
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2015 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DKcustoms:
What size wheels are those?

I have wheels from my SSEi that are 17s, was thinking about running 235/45 rubber.
But my formula came with 17s that are 225/45 I believe, might just replace those.

The wheels are:
17x7 w/ 48mm offset on the front. 215/45-17
17x8 w/ 35mm offset on the rear. 235/45-17

I'm thinking that the front might accommodate 225s, on those wheels, and still look okay.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 04-08-2015).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock