Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Vendor review-GMTuners / Sinister Perf. FAIL!

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Vendor review-GMTuners / Sinister Perf. FAIL! by Isolde
Started on: 04-06-2015 06:32 PM
Replies: 38 (2007 views)
Last post by: Fierotregg on 04-15-2015 08:07 PM
Isolde

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 133
Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2015 06:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IsoldeSend a Private Message to IsoldeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As I posted on thirdgen.org,
So Ryan got on his high horse again, this isn't the first time he's contradicted all the big names on turbo stuff, and now he won't even do, at any price, a speedometer correction on a complete reprogramming he already did for me. That's not acceptable customer support. I've been polite and civil, I didn't insult his parentage, I always add a tip for a beer or a steak dinner.
I found another tuner with very similar pricing, more reasonable than most, in fact, and does what I ask without arguing nor acting like a teen geek in his momma's basement.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2015 07:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Isolde:
I've been polite and civil, I didn't insult his parentage,

So instead, you come here and re-post the drama from a completely different forum, here in general chat? Sure....... that's far better LOL!

[This message has been edited by JohnWPB (edited 04-06-2015).]

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2015 08:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Certainly the exception, Ryan has always done good work for me on many projects. Getting ready to send some more work to him in the next few days.
MadMark

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2015 11:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadMarkSend a Private Message to MadMarkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have had Ryan do my tuning on my 3800 SC III swap and it has always been good work. He has also done some other mechanical work for me too and it again has been very good. I don't know what happened with your car, but my experience has always been good when I deal with Ryan.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 257
Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2015 12:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is the thirdgen thread he alludes to posting... not much detail beyond what he posted here, just the same with a difference user name... looks like a poor attempt at an internet smear campaign.
http://www.thirdgen.org/for...ister-perf-fail.html
cam-a-lot

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2015 06:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am sorry you had a bad experience. Ryan has always been very helpful to me, offering free technical advice, great write-ups, and his swaps look top notch. I hope things work out for you in the end
RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2015 07:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

Here is the thirdgen thread he alludes to posting... not much detail beyond what he posted here, just the same with a difference user name... looks like a poor attempt at an internet smear campaign.
http://www.thirdgen.org/for...ister-perf-fail.html

Totally off topic, but thank you for sending me back to thirdgen.org. It's been a long time since I visited. Nice to see them still going strong.

Bob
Slammed

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 79
Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2015 07:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SlammedSend a Private Message to SlammedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Another guy here who has been very happy with Ryan's service
tesmith66

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2015 07:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Same here. Ryan did the chip for my DOHC swap. Quick, courteous, thorough- and it worked the first time.

------------------
1986 SE Aero coupe.

3.4 DOHC swap is complete and running, now just have to finish the rest of the car...

dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post04-07-2015 07:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I haven't bought any parts or services from Ryan, but I can say that all the exchanges I've had with him on this forum, have been respectful and worthwhile.

I cannot say the same for you Isolde, and that resonates again in your smear post here:

As I posted on thirdgen.org,
So Ryan got on his high horse again, this isn't the first time he's contradicted all the big names on turbo stuff, and now he won't even do, at any price, a speedometer correction on a complete reprogramming he already did for me. That's not acceptable customer support. I've been polite and civil, I didn't insult his parentage, I always add a tip for a beer or a steak dinner.
I found another tuner with very similar pricing, more reasonable than most, in fact, and does what I ask without arguing nor acting like a teen geek in his momma's basement.

See how you claim to be polite and civil, and not insult his parentage, and then immediately turn right around and do the exact opposite by insulting him and his parentage? That is not how being polite and civil works.
GODFATHER

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2015 09:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GODFATHERSend a Private Message to GODFATHEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ryan has program 2 computers for with with no issues and when I had one problem that was my fault he responded quickly and was very helpful.
PFF
System Bot
Grantman

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2015 09:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GrantmanSend a Private Message to GrantmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ryan has been terrific to work with. will use again.
Jefrysuko

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2015 11:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JefrysukoSend a Private Message to JefrysukoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I fully support a vendors right to refuse continued support or sales to a irrational customer.
Isolde

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 133
Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2015 06:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IsoldeSend a Private Message to IsoldeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ryan did wrong, refused to man up, so now punish him by not giving him any business, ever again. That's the only intelligent way. So says a tested and proven genius. The end.
Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2015 06:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jefrysuko:

I fully support a vendors right to refuse continued support or sales to a irrational customer.

+1

... so now punish him by not giving him any business, ever again....

This is definitely your right. The rest of it...gotta be careful what you say and how you say it. Just keep it factual, don't embellish. Never turn things into mud slinging fights.

[This message has been edited by Neils88 (edited 04-07-2015).]

Mike Gonzalez

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 130
Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2015 06:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike GonzalezSend a Private Message to Mike GonzalezEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ryan has done at least 5 PCM's for me and always worked perfectly. I will be sending him another in a week or so. Also if I ever have questions he always give good answers and explanations.
IROCTAFIERO

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2015 06:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IROCTAFIEROSend a Private Message to IROCTAFIEROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
He has never been anything less than helpful to me. Enjoy your butthurt.
Chris_narf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2015 11:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris_narfSend a Private Message to Chris_narfEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I suppose everyone is entitled to their own opinions. At some point, when/if I decide to go turbo, I'll go back to Ryan. In the meantime, I'm enjoying the car as is. (See sig for link to Ryan's page with my car)

Unless you've got some extremely specific facts and can list those facts w/o injecting emotion or your personal opinion on the matter, you may not find this as the ideal method or form to "settle your score".

------------------
-Chris
'85 V6 SE 4sp (SOLD)
'88 GT - Series 3 SC3800 w/ 3.5" pulley, 1.8" rockers, 3" exhaust, 3.5" intake, 3.29 gearing. Installed and tuned by Sinister Performance
'99 Kawasaki Vulcan 500, owned since new
'09 G37x Sedan w/ Premium & Nav (wife's car)
'13 G37xS Sedan (new daily driver)
'14 Yamaha FJR - 0-60 in 2.8s w/ 34MPG!!!

Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2015 06:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In before the trash.
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2015 10:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My own experience with Ryan has been very agreeable. So it will take a lot more than some incoherent rantings to convince me otherwise. I'm guessing that'll be the case for most of his customers. But if copying and pasting hateful rantings all over the internet makes you feel better, then have fun with that.

On a side note, I also agree that a vendor shouldn't be forced to serve a problematic customer (contracts and warranties notwithstanding). And likewise, the customer has the right to find another vendor. That's the beauty of living in a free society: we get to make our own decisions. My suggestion to you would be to find another vendor, and get on with your life.

[This message has been edited by Blacktree (edited 04-08-2015).]

dizmon_85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2015 10:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dizmon_85GTSend a Private Message to dizmon_85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nothing but KUDOS for Ryan myself. I personally don't believe that if you stop sending him business will cause him to go under.... but slamming a very helpful vendor on here will get you nothing... other than a lot of negativity. From the looks of your ratings bar.. it may be too late.

[This message has been edited by dizmon_85GT (edited 04-08-2015).]

PFF
System Bot
Tom Slick

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2015 01:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tom SlickSend a Private Message to Tom SlickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ryan did my LS4 swap and I could not be more pleased will all his help, workmanship and customer service. I tell everyone I know who did my swap and wouldn't hesitate to do it all over again given I had extra money laying around.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2015 03:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Ryan did wrong, refused to man up, so now punish him by not giving him any business, ever again. That's the only intelligent way. So says a tested and proven genius. The end.

I've had no experience with either party, but geez... this is one of the strangest posts I've ever read here.

Any chance that the PFF account of Isolde has been hacked? I find it difficult to believe that anyone rational would've posted this. It sounds like crazy-talk.
GODFATHER

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2015 03:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GODFATHERSend a Private Message to GODFATHEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Plus the OP hasn't posted anything more.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2015 03:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mike Gonzalez:

Ryan has done at least 5 PCM's for me and always worked perfectly. I will be sending him another in a week or so. Also if I ever have questions he always give good answers and explanations.

He's given me free advice that fixed issues for me as well.
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post04-08-2015 04:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:
I've had no experience with either party, but geez... this is one of the strangest posts I've ever read here.

Any chance that the PFF account of Isolde has been hacked? I find it difficult to believe that anyone rational would've posted this. It sounds like crazy-talk.

I don't think he's posted anything in a long time until this thread. While it's certainly possible the account was hacked, I wouldn't necessarily think so. The same post was also made on thirdgen, and he wasn't exactly rational in his previous posts either. :-/

edit: Yeah, he hasn't been active on rft for the last 3 years either. Looks like he gave up on Fieros and started bugging the Camaro guys instead. He's been pretty active on the Camaro forums the past couple of years.

[This message has been edited by dobey (edited 04-08-2015).]

fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2015 05:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Oh that post is quite typical behavior for Isolde.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2015 08:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

I don't think he's posted anything in a long time until this thread.

Originally posted by fieroguru:

Oh that post is quite typical behavior for Isolde.

It's most unfortunate when this type of situation occurs.

I don't recall any bizarre posts/threads by Isolde previously, but of course that doesn't mean there weren't any.
Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 361
Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2015 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
First off, I want to thank everyone for the kind words. I haven't responded to Mr. Stephens' (aka "Isolde" on this forum) posts here on Pennocks until now because I've been so busy I can't see straight right now. As soon as the warm weather hit, it was like a dam broke and everybody decided they wanted their cars tuned and worked on.

Anyway, concerning said defamatory posts made by Mr. Stephens, they are in about the same tone as some recent emails I received from him after I broke off communications with him some time ago - which I did after receiving some emails he sent to me that contained the same kind of language as these recent forum posts.

I have decided, as a matter of policy, that I would simply stop responding to people when they fill their emails with insults and that is what I did in this case. I did not respond to Mr. Stephens' inflammatory emails, in kind, but rather I just ignored them. Long story short - I did some tuning work for Mr. Stephens starting about 4 years ago and everything went fine until he asked my advice about something and I give advice that he did not agree with. Back then the same thing happened and he began sending me insulting emails - at that time I simply refused to do any more work for him because of this. Fast forward a couple of years and I received an email from Mr. Stephens basically containing his apology for the way he acted toward me in the past and he asked me if I would do some more tuning work for him. Against my better judgment, I agreed to help him once again - but this inevitably led to the same situation repeating itself.

This was never about me taking somebody's money and not supplying a paying customer with a product they paid for. I have never done that and never will do that.

What this is about is my outright refusal to accept payment and provide services to an individual who insults my intelligence and now drops to the level of making defamatory posts on public forums in an attempt to hurt my business. Mr. Stephens is welcome to find another vendor to take care of his needs as I am no longer interested in doing business with him.

Again, I wanted to thank everyone who posted kind things about me and my services in this thread. It is appreciated. Thank you.

-ryan

------------------
OVERKILL IS UNDERRATED

Custom GM OBD1 & OBD2 Tuning | Engine Conversions & more | www.gmtuners.com

IanT720

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2015 12:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IanT720Send a Private Message to IanT720Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
He did a pcm for me, it worked flawless and was a very easy transaction. However he also contained to help me when I was working on setting the transmission up for AN fittings etc... He's the man!

------------------
1987 Fiero GTX 3800 Turbo... My Build, ST3 Cam, Lowered, Wheels, and pics enjoy!//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/089483.html

IanT720

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2015 12:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IanT720Send a Private Message to IanT720Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

IanT720

1703 posts
Member since Sep 2010
Did I mention all that transmission advice and information was free? He took time out to help me, more than I expected! Great guy!

------------------
1987 Fiero GTX 3800 Turbo... My Build, ST3 Cam, Lowered, Wheels, and pics enjoy!//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/089483.html

PFF
System Bot
mitchjl22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2015 02:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IROCTAFIERO:

Enjoy your butthurt.

+1
Mickey_Moose

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2015 04:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
IMHO Darth Fiero has been most helpful and would not hesitate in future purchases from him either.

Sounds like to me someone didn't like the answer they were given and went on a rant (and being really vague about the whole story as well).
jediperk

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2015 01:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jediperkSend a Private Message to jediperkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's amazing how the OP's intent to defame and hurt Ryan's business has only led to loud and ringing endorsements of Ryan's business and work.
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 252
Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2015 04:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jediperk:

It's amazing how the OP's intent to defame and hurt Ryan's business has only led to loud and ringing endorsements of Ryan's business and work.

And apparently the speedban function is broken.
fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2015 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

And apparently the speedban function is broken.

Doesn't really matter, he has at least one other user name currently registered from his typical collection.
hookdonspeed

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2015 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ive dealt with ryan several times, a few times just for advise / thoughts of things I was thinking about doing, and other times having him do tunes for me. he did the tune in my LX9 swap and it runs great.. I plan on having him do the base chip, and eventually the turbo chip in my LQ1 swap. not once has he ever been rude, or say anything bad about some of the insane idea's ive ran past him. just straight answers with reasoning's behind them, and always told me the limits of what I could / should do safely IN HIS OPINION.

~extremely satisfied customer of gmtuners / sinister performance.

Dragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2015 11:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DragonSend a Private Message to DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ryan did the L87 swap for me in 2005 and I was please with the install.

Since then he has always supported me either by reshipping the car when I had it up there or with positive advice

I would go back to him if need be without a qualm

------------------

Frank Martin
87 GT
3800 s/c - lowered with Held Motorsports suspension - Suicide Doors by Archie
Custom Paint
Fun To Drive Daily Driver

87 Convertible
Sunshine Car

Fierotregg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2015 08:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierotreggSend a Private Message to FierotreggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ryan has done work for me and has given me countless a tips and info. He has my respect as being straight forward and honest.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock