going all black interior by Detainabull
Started on: 03-28-2015 02:02 PM
Replies: 18 (801 views)
Last post by: Detainabull on 11-25-2015 07:49 PM
Detainabull

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2015 02:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DetainabullSend a Private Message to DetainabullEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just wanted to drop in and show my progress on converting over to all black interior. The dash and console were painted with a satin finish along with the upper half of my door panels. Headliner was wrapped with black wool felt and the back panel behind the seats were done in a black vinyl. Still need to finish my lower door panels and my seats. I will probably leave the carpet out for now but possibly go do black carpet as well in the future. I'll get some more pictures of the trim put back along with the headliner and door panels. I've done more work since I took these pictures.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2015 02:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm curious how the paint holds up on the vinyl. I'd worry that it would come off on my arm.

You can get a black headlight switch from an '84. I don't know about the dimmer.

You can get the smoked gauge covers from blacktop upgrades.

I know you've done work on the door panels already, but the Fiero Store sells black door panels. You can also get fitted black carpet from them.

Russ88TTop sells covers for the arm rests and lower door panels, as well as the sun visors.

You should be able to pick up black seat belt assemblies from a firebird.

Mr. Mikes can make some excellent seat covers for you.

If you haven't done so yet, make sure that the metal bracket behind the center vents is also painted black. Seeing that rusty thing won't set off your interior nicely.

[This message has been edited by tshark (edited 03-28-2015).]

Detainabull

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2015 03:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DetainabullSend a Private Message to DetainabullEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've spoken with Russ88TTop about the lowers already. Going To try it out myself first. I like to learn new things and upholstery work is all new so I'm gonna give it a go.

I'm eager to see how paint holds up as well but I've seen it done on other vehicles with no issue so I figured I'd try my luck.

What year firebird seatbelts will work? I've missed out on a few fiero seatbelts from eBay and I am def in favor of removing the tan ones. Thanks for the tips
psychosurfer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2015 03:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for psychosurferSend a Private Message to psychosurferEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Im interested to see how it looks when it's all done. Debating a few interior color options on the chop top. Regarding the paint, with proper preparation it should last a long time. Mine was a daily driver, parked outside for over ten years and still looked great when it went to inside parking (8 years ago). The arm rest on the driver door did need to be resprayed once in that time frame.
Detainabull

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2015 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DetainabullSend a Private Message to DetainabullEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Everything was prepped well. Cleaned and scuffed then sprayed with few coats. Pulling the interior was very easy on the car so if it does need to be touched up that won't be an issue.
skitime

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 332
Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2015 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skitimeSend a Private Message to skitimeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The gloss is really showing where the underlying foam has pulled from the base material. You should of re-glued those areas first but you still might be able to do it.
Adjustso3

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2015 05:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Adjustso3Send a Private Message to Adjustso3Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks great ! What kind of paint did you use ? What did you do for prep ? Did you spray it with a gun or was it in a rattle can ? Again, I love the way it looks ! Great job !
steve308

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2015 07:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hope your AC is in good shape. Could get a bit toasty in there on a warm summer day.
Detainabull

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2015 09:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DetainabullSend a Private Message to DetainabullEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I will def be regluing the foam to the base. I will be pulling a lot of it back out for my 3800sc swap so I will touch up most imperfections then.

I just used a general purpose spray paint with a satin finish. All parts were cleaned with soap and water then scuffed with steel wool and sand paper.

As far as AC goes...who needs AC. I'll be deleting it for the swap lol. I'm a window down type of guy. I will be tinting the windows to help block the sun.
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2015 10:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Detainabull

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2015 08:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DetainabullSend a Private Message to DetainabullEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A few more pictures of the trim added in. I def need to go with the dark gray seatbelts at the very least. The tan just isn't going to work for me.

PFF
System Bot
rogergarrison

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2015 05:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I always liked black interior when I could. You can do any kind or color of paint job and still match well. I used to strip down my custom cars every winter or two and completely redo them, at least with a new color or graphics. Car shows hate to see the same cars year after year. The ones with black interiors never needed anything redone.
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2015 06:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I saw a black chrome shifter on ebay.
Detainabull

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2015 10:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DetainabullSend a Private Message to DetainabullEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tshark:

I saw a black chrome shifter on ebay.

I saw that as well but after making this shift knob and changing the thread on my shifter I think I'll have to keep this one. I will however clearance drill about half the thread so the shifter sits a little bit lower than it does right now

HotWheelsFiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2015 10:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HotWheelsFieroSend a Private Message to HotWheelsFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is awesome. I will be doing this to my tan 88 next summer. Any more progress/photos/updates/tips?
CarolinaRigman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2015 12:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CarolinaRigmanSend a Private Message to CarolinaRigmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks Great! You gonna be ready for summer? I like the black too.
It does get awfully HOT here in the summer, I even find myself turning on
the ac and I'm a window down guy too!!

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2015 04:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Gonna have to get a black steering wheel?
Detainabull

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2015 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DetainabullSend a Private Message to DetainabullEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yea I will do the black wheel. Probably the black grant steering wheel. Possibly the dark grey GT steering wheel would fit as I think I'm going to lay down grey carpet and the grey GT seats until I get some black ones.

I've put the interior on hold is I'm breaking down a parts car now and need to get it gone asap so most of my time has gone to that lately.
Detainabull

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2015 07:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DetainabullSend a Private Message to DetainabullEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Detainabull

193 posts
Member since Jan 2015

Originally posted by HotWheelsFiero:

This is awesome. I will be doing this to my tan 88 next summer. Any more progress/photos/updates/tips?

I've got grey seatbelts to match the black pretty well but everything else is still the same.

As far as tips go. I'd just clean everything well and scuff it a little bit for the paint. I used the satin paint so it was sort of dull opposed to having a lot of shine. To much shine didn't look that great to me so I wanted the flat look.

Good luck on doing your 88!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock