Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Accurate Rear Decklid "decal" who has the best reproduction?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Accurate Rear Decklid "decal" who has the best reproduction? by fierocarparts
Started on: 03-20-2015 10:03 PM
Replies: 22 (719 views)
Last post by: paced84 on 05-21-2015 08:59 PM
fierocarparts

Feedback score:    (66)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2015 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierocarpartsSend a Private Message to fierocarpartsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ordered one and got it in. I went to replace it and noticed some differences in details. The most obvious was in the area of the top part of the "R". Also anyone have a better source for the "PONTIAC" on the rear bumper of the 87-88 Coupe/Formula than TFS? I notice theirs fade out quickly.

[This message has been edited by fierocarparts (edited 03-21-2015).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
GTMN

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2015 12:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GTMNSend a Private Message to GTMNEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would have to say Paul McKibbin at fierosails.com probably would have the most accurate decal for you. Anything I've got from him has been spot on.
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2015 01:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierocarparts:

Ordered one and got it in. I went to replace it and noticed some differences in details. The most obvious was in the area or the top part of the "R".

What decal are you looking for? I can not think of one that has an "R" in it.... 2M4 / 2M6 PONTIAC are all that I can recall on the back of the Fiero.

fierocarparts

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2015 11:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierocarpartsSend a Private Message to fierocarpartsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JohnWPB:

What decal are you looking for? I can not think of one that has an "R" in it.... 2M4 / 2M6 PONTIAC are all that I can recall on the back of the Fiero.

87 & 88 Coupe have "FIERO" on right side of Decklid.
I ordered mine from Paul because I've had good luck with his in the past.
I wish it was easier to post pictures directly here, I could show you the difference in OEM and Paul's.
The difference is slight but noticeable.
JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2015 12:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ahhhh I do recall seeing FIERO on the back of a Fiero or 2. I totally forgot about that.....
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2015 12:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If it isn't right, Paul will fix it. You may send him an image of your OEM one as a sample.
Neils88

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2015 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierocarparts:
I wish it was easier to post pictures directly here, I could show you the difference in OEM and Paul's.

It's really easy. Just install Pennock's Image Poster (click on the red/blue box at the bottom of the page to install, then follow directions). Once installed you just open that app, browse for the pic you want, upload, then paste (Ctrl V). Just remember to resize if your pictures are wider than 1024 pixels. I use Microsoft Paint to resize jpegs.
paulmckibben

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2015 12:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for paulmckibbenClick Here to visit paulmckibben's HomePageSend a Private Message to paulmckibbenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The "Fiero" deck lid sticker we make at fierosails.com is a copy from the Forumula we purchased in 1997 from the original owner. It is possible that the original owner, a young lady about 30 who worked at a Pontiac dealership, had the original decal replaced. (She said the car was completely original, and we found no reason to think otherwise.) If you have a known original "Fiero" deck decal (or any decal for that matter) we will happily re-create it for you. Just send a "rubbing" of the decal to the mailing address on our web site. In the case of the decal for fierocarparts, we will do this at no charge - we're curious to see the differences.

We have been making Fiero decals since 1998 and have made many measurements and rubbings over the years. We take great pains to be as true to the originals as possible. On decals which we believe were original to the Fiero, we have found variations in the "Fiero 2M4" and "Fiero 2M6" and suspect that GM may have had multiple vendors. This may be true on the "Fiero" decal, but we have not noticed it. We also found in the late '90s that decals from The Fiero Store did not have good fidelity to GM originals. They may be better now. So it is feasible a Fiero today has later generation decals that are assumed to be originals from GM. Unless you are an original owner, it is difficult to know. A typical decal subject to year-round weather exposure would have a life of 5-7 years, and less in sunny climates like Florida, California, and the Southwest. The decals will remain on the car after 5-7 years, but fade and start to peel.

Paul McKibben
fierosails.com
lateFormula

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2015 02:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lateFormulaSend a Private Message to lateFormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PM sent to Paul
fierocarparts

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2015 12:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierocarpartsSend a Private Message to fierocarpartsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Paul,
Wasn't a bash against your decal. I figured that like some other thing Fiero, there are variances.
I will get you a tracing of this one. I wonder if there is a difference between '87 and '88 also. This is from the 79 mile '87 I bought and VIN tag on Decklid is correct. There is another original '87 here in Texas, I'll check with him as well to establish if it is year specific or various vendors.

Originally posted by paulmckibben:

The "Fiero" deck lid sticker we make at fierosails.com is a copy from the Forumula we purchased in 1997 from the original owner. It is possible that the original owner, a young lady about 30 who worked at a Pontiac dealership, had the original decal replaced. (She said the car was completely original, and we found no reason to think otherwise.) If you have a known original "Fiero" deck decal (or any decal for that matter) we will happily re-create it for you. Just send a "rubbing" of the decal to the mailing address on our web site. In the case of the decal for fierocarparts, we will do this at no charge - we're curious to see the differences.

We have been making Fiero decals since 1998 and have made many measurements and rubbings over the years. We take great pains to be as true to the originals as possible. On decals which we believe were original to the Fiero, we have found variations in the "Fiero 2M4" and "Fiero 2M6" and suspect that GM may have had multiple vendors. This may be true on the "Fiero" decal, but we have not noticed it. We also found in the late '90s that decals from The Fiero Store did not have good fidelity to GM originals. They may be better now. So it is feasible a Fiero today has later generation decals that are assumed to be originals from GM. Unless you are an original owner, it is difficult to know. A typical decal subject to year-round weather exposure would have a life of 5-7 years, and less in sunny climates like Florida, California, and the Southwest. The decals will remain on the car after 5-7 years, but fade and start to peel.

Paul McKibben
fierosails.com

paulmckibben

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2015 12:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for paulmckibbenClick Here to visit paulmckibben's HomePageSend a Private Message to paulmckibbenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks! We would love to have a rubbing of your original and compare it to ours. "LateFormula" is going to try to send one from his car also. I'll post the results.

Paul McKibben
fierosails.com
PFF
System Bot

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2015 11:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The "r" would be be in "Fiero 2M4" or "Fiero 2M6", or in the 1985 "Fiero GT" or in 87 and 88 just "Fiero".

A Notchback thing

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 03-24-2015).]

erniehawk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2015 02:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for erniehawkSend a Private Message to erniehawkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Paul, please reproduce the under deck stickers! (Emissions, belt routing etc) Please?7
JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2015 02:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by erniehawk:

Paul, please reproduce the under deck stickers! (Emissions, belt routing etc) Please?7

I do not have the "Fiero" one mentioned above, but I do have just about every other sticker for the car available. I had a problem with the materials I am using, and stopped taking orders a week ago until I get it resolved. I hope to have everything up and running again in a couple weeks.

You can check out the stickers I make here.

lateFormula

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2015 04:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lateFormulaSend a Private Message to lateFormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

The "r" would be be in "Fiero 2M4" or "Fiero 2M6", or in the 1985 "Fiero GT" or in 87 and 88 just "Fiero".

A Notchback thing

Actually, the Fiero decal was different for 87 and 88. The lettering for Fiero on the back of the notchback for the 84-86 model years, each letter was a single stripe. But the 87 & 88 decals used a double stripe with a small gap between the stripes for each letter
no2pencil

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2015 05:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for no2pencilSend a Private Message to no2pencilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Paul,
How would I order a 3.4L sticker to replace the GT for the rear bumper?

I believe I saw a topic on here a while ago that had one.

Thanks!
paulmckibben

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2015 10:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for paulmckibbenClick Here to visit paulmckibben's HomePageSend a Private Message to paulmckibbenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
To erniehawk: The under-hood stickers are available from John at fierostuff.com. He does good work and we applaud his efforts. While we could make these also, the Fiero marketplace is too small for much competition. Too many vendors drives down prices such that you end up with Chinese-style results and good quality products disappear. I have witnessed a sort of unspoken gentleman's agreement among some of the smaller Fiero vendors; they won't make what someone else is already producing. There are exceptions. The Fiero Store is, understandably, one of the exceptions and we have no complaint that they must do what they can to stay alive. Fortunately, we don't rely on Fiero business to pay any bills!

To no2pencil: The 3.4L bumper sticker for the GT (or any decal or any custom decal) can be ordered by filling out the order form on fierosails.com and telling us what you have in mind. We apologize that the 3.4L decal is not already shown on the site. We have been having problems with our host, GoDaddy for several months since they changed servers; we can't modify any of the pages on our site. Customer service at GoDaddy keeps saying it's our fault that we can't get access. Maybe it is, but we have not changed our software; they changed theirs. I've got an expert who will review this "soon". Ha.

Paul McKibben
fierosails.com

silver 85 sc

Feedback score:    (40)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2015 05:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for silver 85 scSend a Private Message to silver 85 scEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I make the PONTIAC for the rear bumper out of stainless. I can make the Fiero 2M4 decals out of 22 ga stainless also. You will have to supply the 3M tape. Of course these will outlast the car.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/054658.html Scroll down and you can see the PONTIAC below the '88 formula with the lambo hinges.

Rich
fierocarparts

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2015 12:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierocarpartsSend a Private Message to fierocarpartsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Paul,
Example of '87 coupe FIERO will be on its way tomorrow (Monday 30th). Any word if '88 is different? TFS decal didn't even come close.
paulmckibben

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2015 12:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for paulmckibbenClick Here to visit paulmckibben's HomePageSend a Private Message to paulmckibbenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nothing received as yet. If I had to guess, it would be that '88 and '87 are the same.

Paul McKibben
fierosails.com

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2015 01:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lateFormula:
Actually, the Fiero decal was different for 87 and 88. The lettering for Fiero on the back of the notchback for the 84-86 model years, each letter was a single stripe. But the 87 & 88 decals used a double stripe with a small gap between the stripes for each letter

Yep. It didnt say 2M4 2M6 in 87 and 88 either.
PFF
System Bot
fierocarparts

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2015 02:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierocarpartsSend a Private Message to fierocarpartsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Now, Paul "FIEROSAILS" has an EXACT match to the 87 coupe trunklid decal (no verification of 88). It is perfect in every way. Thanks Paul for your attention to detail. That is why I ordered from Fierosails in the first place and was surprised when it wasn't exact. Paul with his customer service and attention to detail now has available an exact match.
THANKS!
paced84

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2015 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for paced84Send a Private Message to paced84Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Paul made me a decal set for my Indy go-cart. He scaled down the red stripe, tail light decal head light decal and much more. They are awesome. See photo of his work. He did the red ring on the wheels also (not in photo)
'
Ron T
Historian
Indy owner #305

------------------

signature by F-I-E-R-O (My Indy on right / #1 IMS)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock