308 Kit Find by 8bit88
Started on: 03-13-2015 10:34 AM
Replies: 30 (1214 views)
Last post by: steve308 on 03-23-2015 06:36 PM
8bit88

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2015 10:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 8bit88Send a Private Message to 8bit88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
http://huntsville.craigslis.../cto/4927342439.html
http://chattanooga.craigsli.../cto/4927375219.html

Between the two listings there are quite a few pics, plenty of them really show the details. I don't like picking on really anyone's car, let alone a Fiero, but this one does look a bit cobbled together. I have no idea (nor does the seller) what 6 cyl engine that is, paired with the 4 speed auto sure does add to that racecar appeal. Paint and trim looks tired, and so does most every bit of the car that's not covered by cheap looking Ferrari stuff. The seat covers and plastic computer speaker (?) in the console with exposed wiring scare me about the quality of the build, as does the plexiglass used to build quarterpanels. Other than that, the kit looks pretty nice, though the paint and wheels may not be to everyone's taste. Odometer seems to have clocked around 170k, but i'm not so sure, given most everything else in the car. Anyone care to weigh in their opinion? Is this a rough show car or a project gone wrong?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post03-13-2015 10:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Engine looks like the early 3800 or 3.3 version of it, that was pre-series 1.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2015 04:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
WOW. get me a flat black spray can for the outside and a small crowbar to strip out the inside and start over. I didnt even look for the price, but its worth $800.
8bit88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2015 05:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 8bit88Send a Private Message to 8bit88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Shame he only wants $6000... If it didn't need so much to fix it may be kinda cool.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2015 05:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Among other things... sounds like it needs an exhaust system.

IIKool

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2015 07:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IIKoolSend a Private Message to IIKoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The only thing on that car, that I would even look at would be the steering wheel
batousai666

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2015 08:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for batousai666Send a Private Message to batousai666Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
you as a Mera Owner there are 6 things I look for when discerning a kit from a Mera and this has 4 of them as far as these pics allow to observe........I like the headlight covers, tail pipes, tail lights and the engine covergrill.......as potential replacements for my Mera X should something happen in transit ...........and that engine looks quite fitting for the theme too.

really the only things missing are the ford reverse lights and the Vitaloni Mirrors.....oh and an 87-88 chassis

[This message has been edited by batousai666 (edited 03-14-2015).]

E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post03-14-2015 09:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't know.. The owner doesn't seem to know much about it, so ..It's safe to say he either got it to flip or in trade..
If I was looking for this type car ,I might waste my time to go look at it to see if the "kit" part of it was done correctly..
then might offer a price much lower that his pipedream. and leave my card..
Never know,, it's safe to say it needs work and you are only buying a roller with kit installed, the thing running/moving is a bonus but doesn't add value to it..
Don't forget some vehicles are priced so they won't sell..
CavScout

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2015 10:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CavScoutSend a Private Message to CavScoutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 8bit88:

Shame he only wants $6000... If it didn't need so much to fix it may be kinda cool.

Well, if you want to blow $8000, seems there's a nicer looking one listed near Rochester NY

http://rochester.craigslist.../cto/4925093128.html
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2015 11:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

http://huntsville.craigslis.../cto/4927342439.html
http://chattanooga.craigsli.../cto/4927375219.html

Between the two listings there are quite a few pics, plenty of them really show the details. I don't like picking on really anyone's car, let alone a Fiero, but this one does look a bit cobbled together. I have no idea (nor does the seller) what 6 cyl engine that is, paired with the 4 speed auto sure does add to that racecar appeal. Paint and trim looks tired, and so does most every bit of the car that's not covered by cheap looking Ferrari stuff. The seat covers and plastic computer speaker (?) in the console with exposed wiring scare me about the quality of the build, as does the plexiglass used to build quarterpanels. Other than that, the kit looks pretty nice, though the paint and wheels may not be to everyone's taste. Odometer seems to have clocked around 170k, but i'm not so sure, given most everything else in the car. Anyone care to weigh in their opinion? Is this a rough show car or a project gone wrong?

The last time I was at the Fiero Factory there was a nicer one there that I believe was for sale and it had the power Vitaloni mirrors.

Nelson
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post03-14-2015 01:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:
Among other things... sounds like it needs an exhaust system.

Eh, it sounds like a crappy recording of an untuned 3800 with short exhaust (maybe a glasspack or something).
PFF
System Bot
Formula88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2015 02:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2015 04:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

Eh, it sounds like a crappy recording of an untuned 3800 with short exhaust (maybe a glasspack or something).

Yeah, "short" for sure. Sounds like it's dumping right out of the exhaust manifold.

cam-a-lot

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2015 06:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry.... unless one is trying to impress a cousin (a.k.a.girlfriend) up in the Smokey Mountains by dangling a Ferrari keychain at the local trailerpark, this baby needs to be run over by an M1A1 main battle tank
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2015 07:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CavScout:

Well, if you want to blow $8000, seems there's a nicer looking one listed near Rochester NY

http://rochester.craigslist.../cto/4925093128.html

That's a nice car
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2015 07:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
darbysan

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2015 11:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darbysanSend a Private Message to darbysanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Saw this one listed in Austin CL. No pictures, but price $3k "might" be reasonable for a kit in good condition.

http://austin.craigslist.org/pts/4931661020.html
8bit88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2015 12:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 8bit88Send a Private Message to 8bit88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
3k is reasonable even for a rough one in my opinion, so long as the kit was built properly. Only thing that scares me is the rock bottom price and the lack of really any information whatsoever. I really do wish that people would build kits with some sense. I love kit cars, but so many of them are ruined by price, lack of power, or just poor finishing.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2015 05:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

1985 Ferrari 308 Replica

Nice looking car (except for the funky rear camber)... but it's a 4-banger! $12,500 for a duke!

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 03-16-2015).]

fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2015 06:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Nice looking car (except for the funky rear camber)... but it's a 4-banger! $12,500 for a duke!

Must have run out of money to do the engine swap afterward
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2015 07:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

Must have run out of money to do the engine swap afterward

Can't you imagine how embarrassing it would be to have a bunch of people standing around admiring this exotic, powerful looking car while it's parked, and then starting it up and hearing the rattle-trap duke... all 90 snarling horsepower of it.
PFF
System Bot
8bit88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2015 08:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 8bit88Send a Private Message to 8bit88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sad thing is that the vast majority of kit cars i've seen around here have stock motors, 4 cyl or 6 cyl, the performance doesn't match the body. Just look at Top Gear US's episode on faking luxury, Ruttledge had a Fiero kit.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2015 01:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Sad thing is that the vast majority of kit cars i've seen around here have stock motors, 4 cyl or 6 cyl, the performance doesn't match the body.
Just look at Top Gear US's episode on faking luxury, Ruttledge had a Fiero kit.

Very sad. But there are some spectacular builds where someone has also upgraded the engines to suit.
It almost seems like the shows deliberately "look" for the cheap builds so they can then mock them.
fireboss

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2015 09:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for firebossSend a Private Message to firebossEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Please tell me that's a " sub box " on the bottom of the console and not a heater.....

Sorry but that price and the arrogance of the ad..It looks like total junk.
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2015 10:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cam-a-lot:
this baby needs to be run over by an M1A1 main battle tank

It just so happens that I have a drivers license for one... Now, if I only still had access to one
fireboss

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2015 12:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for firebossSend a Private Message to firebossEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
]

Originally posted by JohnWPB:

It just so happens that I have a drivers license for one... Now, if I only still had access to one

Please Don’t Speed In Your Tank[
RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2015 06:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Sad thing is that the vast majority of kit cars i've seen around here have stock motors, 4 cyl or 6 cyl, the performance doesn't match the body. Just look at Top Gear US's episode on faking luxury, Ruttledge had a Fiero kit.

Just depends what you want out of it. It can always be the starting point to something better.

I'm biased though. Mine's far from done...

Bob
PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2015 07:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Shame he only wants $6000...

I think he's delusional for the price AND the paint job (but glad to see he didn't forget a ferrari logo (near the armrest) - no one with a mess ever does). Looks like a snowmobile engine to me.

The one for $8000 is maybe only a little high considering it's a stock engine, an 88, nice paint and has the $$$ wheels;

The black one from Lakewood, CA just shows why I left california,

and the red 288 GTO is not bad but too expensive and, from Kew Gardens, probably stolen . The 288GTOs look too long and narrow to me ...

[This message has been edited by PaulJK (edited 03-20-2015).]

8bit88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2015 12:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 8bit88Send a Private Message to 8bit88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good news, the price has been lowered. It's now a bargain priced $7000... If only it wasn't needing almost everything redone on it...
I FAR I

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2015 03:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for I FAR ISend a Private Message to I FAR IEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You guys need to get a life worth living........Posting up classified ads and then snickering at the cars and deriding the asking prices......smh......It's no wonder some people don't respect Fieros and think all the cars are crap.......Fiero owners in this thread are no different, acting like juveniles and bullies by disrespecting other Fieros.......That's likely why these cars will never be regarded seriously -- Because some of you are a joke!
steve308

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2015 06:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
^^^^^ Yep. Agree
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock