reupholster door panels by Detainabull
Started on: 03-08-2015 07:43 PM
Replies: 6 (301 views)
Last post by: Spoon on 03-13-2015 04:48 PM
Detainabull

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2015 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DetainabullSend a Private Message to DetainabullEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've got a quick question for anyone that has redone their door panels. I've currently removed them and painted the upper half. My question is should I remove the lower carpet before I redo it with vinyl or is it OK to lay vinyl over the carpet and secure it with staples on the back and a bead of hot glue at the seem with the upper half? Any recommendations. If I need to remove the carpet what is the easiest way to soften the glue?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
notwohorns

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2015 08:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for notwohornsSend a Private Message to notwohornsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The easiest way to remove the carpet is to spray it with starting fluid. Let it sit a little while and it'll peel right off. If you remove the carpet, you would have to put some kind of backing on the vinyl.
dobey

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post03-08-2015 09:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I suspect it won't look very good if you leave the carpet on.
Detainabull

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2015 09:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DetainabullSend a Private Message to DetainabullEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Perhaps a foam backing if I removed the carpet? I'm thinking the carpet won't show through esp if its not super tight. By no means would it be loose but I'm wondering how tight I could pull the vinyl without the carpet texture showing through.
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2015 06:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can use a piece of cardboard over the top of the carpeting. This will hide and smooth out any bumps. When you order the lower door upholstery kit from Mr. Mike, it actually has a backing I would closely compare to cereal box cardboard as a backing.

[This message has been edited by JohnWPB (edited 03-09-2015).]

Detainabull

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2015 08:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DetainabullSend a Private Message to DetainabullEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Easy enough... I have cardboard slip sheets at work that will do just fine as a backing. They're great for making templates too.
Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2015 04:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by notwohorns:

The easiest way to remove the carpet is to spray it with starting fluid. Let it sit a little while and it'll peel right off. If you remove the carpet, you would have to put some kind of backing on the vinyl.

I thought you were going to say " spray it with starting fluid and light it". Glad I read the whole post.

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock