Started on: 03-06-2015 09:28 PM
Replies: 5 (1185 views)
Last post by: E.Furgal on 03-07-2015 04:13 PM
82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2015 09:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey guys, so... I've been thinking long and hard about this post I made: //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/131288.html

... bottom line is I was seriously considering buying a FAST EZ fuel injection system for my Fiero. Ultimately, the biggest concern for me was that it wouldn't take full advantage of my distributor.

So, I was talking with the guys at MegaSquirt, and they said if I can get 9 people (10 including me) to commit to purchasing a MegaSquirt system, they will build (permenantly) a CUSTOM made Pontiac Fiero V6 ECM using their modern ECM system. The system would be entirely plug & play, and would have the advantage of the "Self Learn" capability that all the new aftermarket systems have. Again, it would be totally plug and play.

Here is the exact quote from the MegaSquirt guy:

Hello Todd,

We could make a fully plug and play system for these cars that plugs into the factory wiring with no wiring changes at all, but the cost of making a one-off plug and play setup is going to be rather expensive; it would be more cost effective to split this among a 10 unit group buy. We have found that the 2.8 multiport hardware is very similar to the TPI engine controllers, so this one could cover the V6 Fiero and F-bodies as well as '85-'89 Corvettes and F-bodies with the 350 or 305 TPI. The cost would be around $800, and we'd need 10 people to sign up.

http://www.megasquirtpnp.com/mspnp_on_demand.php

Let me know if you're interested. If not, we could build a system that would need rewiring but would work with all your stock sensors. In that case, I'd just need a full list of what features you want the ECU to control. Let me know which of these two approaches would be the best fit, and I'll go over what you're looking at for costs.

Anyone here willing to take the plunge with me?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
RTingey

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2015 10:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RTingeySend a Private Message to RTingeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd be interested if it would work with a turbo.
jmbishop

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 169
Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2015 12:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you don't know what megasquirt is, its a tunable ecm that isn't locked down, with a laptop and tunerstudio ($40 if I remember right) just about anyone can tune it using the autotune feature.

I'm assuming this is for the 2.8?
82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2015 09:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RTingey:

I'd be interested if it would work with a turbo.

Based on my understanding, it would because it's configured for self-learn.

Realistically, it doesn't matter what you have on the motor, it's just designed to be plug-and-play with our existing wiring harness.

But yeah... this is for the 2.8 configuration. (meaning only that it will be made for the 2.8's harness)
hookdonspeed

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2015 01:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:
Based on my understanding, it would because it's configured for self-learn.

Realistically, it doesn't matter what you have on the motor, it's just designed to be plug-and-play with our existing wiring harness.

But yeah... this is for the 2.8 configuration. (meaning only that it will be made for the 2.8's harness)

id be interested if it was a 7730 ecu replacement... (DIS)
then i could use it on my 3.4 TDC turbo build.

7730 ecu could also be used on 3.1, 3.4, 3100, 3400, 3500, 3800, 3800SC, 3900 and probably more also...

well wait... if theirs could run DIS with the stock 2.8 plugs... id still be interested :P

[This message has been edited by hookdonspeed (edited 03-07-2015).]

E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post03-07-2015 04:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The problem with this idea is those with a 2.8v6 most likely don't need a whole new engine management system..

and it only be plug and play with that, or if you had them make it plug and play for the 3800s/cseriesII swap with a tv cable controlled 4 speed automatic.. for example as I'm thinking the connectors on a 3800 series III s/c are different than a series II or a 3800n/a series II then different for series III n/a, the electronicly controlled automatics would have connections, and not sure the connector plugs are the same on all years, then the fiero 4-5spd g6 6 speed..
you'll need 9-10 owners with the same engine/trans combo.. and there are how many different ones just in the 3800 swap world??

you might get the integration of the M/S to the fiero harness to control the a/c cruise/gauges/idiot lights IF it's all wired the same in all v6 fieros , and the engine end if you find 9-10 people with the stock v6 and/or 3.1/3.4 swaps that used the same connectors as the original 2.8 and after reading the little I have on the 3.4 swap it seems many sensors are in different spots,

I'm "assuming" this is based on the msIII as you stated "self learn" they are not cheap... and for a stock 2.8 or n/a 3.1, 3.4 with batch fire or bank fire efi, it's over kill.. the msII will handle all that and ign/spark.. sure the self tune part is nice and all but the msII leaves you with at least 500.oo in your pocket to pay someone to program a tune for you.. or learn

does the msIII pro extra able to control an electronic trans??
you need to ask a bunch more questions, starting with cost.. bet it's 1200-1500 +for a plug and play msIII and harness and nothing else, you'll reuse all the stock sensors (other than changing to a wide band o2) your injectors,t/b etc..
a msII is last time I looked 258.00 relay board50.00 and harness 80.oo , cable to connect it to your laptop, and it'll do the batch/bank fire efi and ign spark.. but no self learn, or trans control..

now if you where doing this for a 3800 s/c swap, to run, sequential efi, and sequential ign control.. it might be worth the cost.. for the self tune, and all the other stuff it can do, data log,control a 2 step, nos, and if it can control transmissions.. then fine 10 people and hope all the connections are the same..

I'm willing to bet someone on the forums has a tune for a 2.8 v6 to get a person started and learns to tune the MSII so you would not need the self learn..

http://www.msextra.com/
http://www.msefi.com/index.php
http://www.diyautotune.com/faq/faq.htm#wherestart
http://www.diyautotune.com/faq/faq.htm

or
https://www.holley.com/prod..._kits/parts/550-605N

https://www.holley.com/prod...s_kits/parts/550-605
it also is overkill..

[This message has been edited by E.Furgal (edited 03-07-2015).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)