Started on: 03-05-2015 02:11 AM
Replies: 22 (1031 views)
Last post by: Patrick on 04-02-2015 10:21 PM
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2015 02:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had just gotten into my Formula (while parallel parked), and some guy in huge pick-up truck pulls in front of me and proceeds to back into me while I'm laying on the horn!

He was so far out from the curb, almost three feet, and the truck was so high, that he was seeing the cars behind me (but not me) in his driver's side mirror... and kept backing up until he hit me.

The underside of the back of the truck ripped the nose badge off. The plastic studs are broken off the mount which is also broken in half. There might be other damage to the nose, but it was dark. I'll take a good look at it tomorrow in the daylight and get some pictures.

He wanted to give me $50 and call it square. I said no way, I wanted to exchange info. He kept on saying my car was old and this and that and... well, you know, the regular BS.

My Formula is far from mint, but geez, I'm sitting in my car minding my own business and this happens.

Anyway, what's the availability of a replacement nose badge for a Formula? What are my options?

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 07-24-2023).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
rednotdead

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2015 02:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rednotdeadSend a Private Message to rednotdeadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Aren't they listed at the Fiero store as being 25 bucks? I didnt think the Forumla's was special in particular... but I could be wrong
http://www.fierostore.com/P...%20%208688&d=226&p=1

EDIT: I'll take a look at mine tomorrow morning before work. If it turns out there is actually a formula specific badge... well, Id been considering removing mine, make an offer and we'll see...

[This message has been edited by rednotdead (edited 03-05-2015).]

zzzhuh

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2015 02:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for zzzhuhSend a Private Message to zzzhuhEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The EXACT same thing happened to me as well....

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/134110.html

Tomorrow try to lift up the front hood carefully, or else your hood might end up looking like mine... Shredded.

Sorry to hear about that, I hope you got his insurance and get every $ you deserve. If only I had been as lucky to get the guys info.

I can't give any info on a new badge.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2015 03:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rednotdead:

Aren't they listed at the Fiero store as being 25 bucks? I didnt think the Forumla's was special in particular... but I could be wrong

84-88 Front Fascia Emblem

Thanks. Yeah, I found those after I posted. I believe the government car insurance (ICBC) we're required to use here would normally go through a GM dealership for parts, so I was wondering if GM still carries these things? I doubt it, but just in case someone knows?

The guy might agree to pay me a "fair" amount (instead of his original BS offer of $50) in lieu of going through ICBC, as a claim might increase his insurance premiums. The nose has to come off the Formula to properly attach a replacement badge. So even if nothing else is damaged, I'd at least want to be reimbursed for this labor as well. I don't want a shop touching the car. ICBC will pay a cash settlement if I wish to go that route.

If I had returned to my car two minutes later than I did, I probably would never even have known that the car had been hit (until a day or two later noticing the damage). One fear I have though is that the guy might try and concoct some story for ICBC about me rear-ending him. I had no camera of any type in the car.

Originally posted by zzzhuh:

The EXACT same thing happened to me as well....

Someone bumped into me.... AGAIN

Tomorrow try to lift up the front hood carefully, or else your hood might end up looking like mine... Shredded.

I remember your thread. That really sucked. Thanks for the advice to carefully check to see if my hood still opens now without catching the nose.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 03-05-2015).]

Csjag

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2015 06:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Its amazing how many of those people driving the huge pickup trucks don't have a clue and don't give a s**t either.
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2015 08:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by tshark (edited 11-05-2018).]

IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 252
Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2015 10:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is the physical emblem damaged or just the backplate?
bonaduce

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2015 04:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bonaduceSend a Private Message to bonaduceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nose badges are still available through Vintage Parts 1-877-846-8243

2 numbers listed
fiero, part# 10040813, they have 15 in stock
GT, part#10036681, they have 4 in stock

price is not listed, I know when we at the dealership get parts from they charge us 25% over GM cost.

dan

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2015 04:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tshark:

It is possible to replace the nose emblem without removing the front fascia.

Are you sure that's the case with the Formula ('87-'88 coupe) nose? On some model Fieros it is possible to reach where the nut holds the front emblem on without removing the nose. I'm not so sure about this nose. I'll take a good close look.

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

Is the physical emblem damaged or just the backplate?

The back plate is destroyed for sure. The actual emblem is out in the car. I'm going outside shortly to have a look at the nose (and emblem) in the daylight. I'll report back, maybe with some pictures.

Originally posted by bonaduce:

Nose badges are still available through Vintage Parts 1-877-846-8243

2 numbers listed
fiero, part# 10040813, they have 15 in stock
GT, part#10036681, they have 4 in stock

price is not listed, I know when we at the dealership get parts from they charge us 25% over GM cost.

Dan, excellent information. Thanks. This is exactly the type of info I need for the insurance company. They'll appreciate a GM part number.

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2015 06:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Patrick

36248 posts
Member since Apr 99
Okay, I've had a look at the car. I've also taken some pictures.

If I had a new paint job, or a mint condition car, I'd be plenty choked right now. However, the Formula has original paint which isn't all that great, so I can overlook some of the damage that's occurred. The paint is now scuffed along much of the topside of the nose towards the back of it. This is where the underside of the pick-up truck was starting to ride up on top of front of the car. Fortunately, the end of one of the truck's tail pipes hit the the black "belt" along the middle of the front of the nose straight on, and this prevented the truck from continuing up past the nose. The hood escaped damage, which I'm glad, as I've fiberglassed vents into it. The hood still opens fine.

The emblem was peeled off. Both studs were broken off the back plate and the plate itself was also broken in two. The emblem itself didn't break, but it's heavily scuffed by the truck sliding over it before the back plate let go of the nose. If worse comes to worse, it might be doable to cut-polish the scuffs off the emblem and glue it onto a replacement back plate. But I don't know for sure and I'm not going to try anything prior to the insurance adjuster seeing the car.

If regards to attaching the emblem back onto the nose, I see no way of getting a wrench in there without either removing the nose, or at least removing most of the mounting screws and tipping the nose up or down or whatever. This isn't like either the aero or bumper-pad noses (or maybe both of them) where it's easy to get a hand up under there where the emblem mounting nut goes.

Here's where you can see the imprint the end of the truck's tail pipe made. You can also see come of the scuffing over by where the emblem used to be.

And here's the emblem. It actually looks worse in real life than in the image, but it still might be salvageable with cut-polish and a new back plate if a whole new replacement can't be had.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 07-24-2023).]

tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2015 07:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
True, I've only tried on an aero nose. Doesn't the Formula have an aero nose? I had my arm bent at an odd angle for sure, but I did it. No matter. The fascia comes off in about 30 minutes, if you have someone to hold the hood.
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2015 07:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

True, I've only tried on an aero nose. Doesn't the Formula have an aero nose?

No sir. This is my Formula at autocross...

The fascia comes off in about 30 minutes, if you have someone to hold the hood.

Oh, I've removed and replaced every type of Fiero nose many times over the years. That isn't the issue. I just want to be reimbursed for my time when it comes to undoing the damage that this idiot did by backing into me. There was absolutely no excuse for what he did. And of course, no apology of any sort was offered.

tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2015 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The audacity. Why do people think it's OK to run into a car and not at least apologize? Sometimes, they blame you. That's why I keep my ”attitude adjuster” handy. I once was rear-ended when I stopped at a red light. The guy who hit me yelled for a while that I was making him late to work. Of course, since he wasn't there yet and was late before he hit me, I think the blame was missplaced. My ”attitude adjuster” calmed him down a bit.

Bummer. Nope, can't reach up that one. I've never seen a non-aero Formula before.

The tires on the right side look good up in the wheel wells. Is that a right hand drive vehicle?
fierogt28

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2015 08:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Patrick, the nose emblem on the formula is the same as the SE models.

I've seen many on e-bay (GM originals) for about 40$ but the stick on type.

If you need the backing plate, TFS has that but with the emblem included.

At 25$ USD, I don't think its that bad, but I heard the emblem hazes out after time.

I never bought one from TFS so I can't really confirm.

Let us know...

------------------

fierogt28

88 GT, Loaded, 5-speed.
88 GT, 5-speed. Beechwood interior, All original.

zzzhuh

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2015 09:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zzzhuhSend a Private Message to zzzhuhEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierogt28:

At 25$ USD, I don't think its that bad, but I heard the emblem hazes out after time.

I never bought one from TFS so I can't really confirm.

Let us know...

They do very quickly. It looks perfect when you get them, when you install them one of the prongs that go through the bumper is on the opposite side of OEM so you have to drill a new hole.

I bought one and within 4 months it was very hazy. It works but if you plan on going to a carshow and showing off your car, you better buy an extra. As you stated tho, for $25 it's not bad...
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2015 01:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Why do people think it's OK to run into a car and not at least apologize? Sometimes, they blame you.

Yeah... the guy jumps down from his raised truck after he pulls in front and then backs into me and snarls... "Your car is too low!"

That's why I keep my ”attitude adjuster” handy. My ”attitude adjuster” calmed him down a bit.

Tire iron?

The tires on the right side look good up in the wheel wells.

I had originally bought that tire/wheel combination for use during autocross with my '84 duke. I wasn't 100% sure they were going to fit on the front of the Formula because of the added width of the 88's front hubs, especially after I installed a set of lowering springs all around. The front tires just ever so barely go up and down without rubbing the inside of the upper lip of the front fenders. They're C-L-O-S-E.

Is that a right hand drive vehicle?

Where do you think I live? No, don't get fooled by my buddy in the right-hand passenger seat. We both have helmets on (as required at autocross).

I've never seen a non-aero Formula before.

Really? Because that's how they all came from the factory. Any notchie from the factory with the aero nose is either an '85 GT or an '86-'87 SE.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 03-06-2015).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2015 02:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Patrick

36248 posts
Member since Apr 99

Originally posted by fierogt28:

If you need the backing plate, TFS has that but with the emblem included.

They do very quickly. It looks perfect when you get them, when you install them one of the prongs that go through the bumper is on the opposite side of OEM so you have to drill a new hole.

I bought one and within 4 months it was very hazy.

I'm glad you fellas have mentioned that, as I'm not interested in replacing the emblem with something inferior. I want to be reimbursed financially for the same value emblem as I had, and I'll eventually track down a good used OEM emblem at the wreckers.

It works but if you plan on going to a carshow and showing off your car, you better buy an extra.

My cars will never be car show material. I want them to perform half decently, and if they look good from 50 feet, I'm happy.
Quad Raider

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2015 08:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad RaiderSend a Private Message to Quad RaiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That is a hot car. I love how the wheels and tires look. Perfect width and height.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2015 09:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Indy was also an aero notchie.

The GT emblem bases are pinned differently than the other emblem bases.
Any emblem base from a non-GT will fit your nose.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2015 06:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

The Indy was also an aero notchie.

Of course... how did I forget that?

Originally posted by olejoedad:

The GT emblem bases are pinned differently than the other emblem bases.
Any emblem base from a non-GT will fit your nose.

Interesting, I didn't realize the "locator" pin on the bases/back plate differed. Thanks.

Originally posted by Quad Raider:

That is a hot car. I love how the wheels and tires look. Perfect width and height.

Thanks, it looks pretty good from 50 ft.

Here's a couple shots of my '84 duke with the same wheels/tires as above. The hood and '87 rear decklid (with a Lumina spoiler installed) are now both on my Formula as well.

I don't dislike the look of my Formula, but to tell the truth I prefer the look of the aero trimmed notchies, especially from the side. And I don't like the factory wing. I don't mind the factory nose on my Formula, but I've often considered changing the other body panels over to the aero style.

Here's a couple of photoshopped images from HERE of how I had at one time envisioned modifying my Formula. The rims pictured are the Sunfire wheels that are normally on the car when I'm not autocrossing.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 03-07-2015).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2015 02:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

I had just gotten into my Formula (while parallel parked), and some guy in huge pick-up truck pulls in front of me and proceeds to back into me while I'm laying on the horn!

The underside of the back of the truck ripped the nose badge off. The plastic studs are broken off the mount which is also broken in half. There might be other damage to the nose, but it was dark. I'll take a good look at it tomorrow in the daylight and get some pictures.

He wanted to give me $50 and call it square. I said no way, I wanted to exchange info. He kept on saying my car was old and this and that and... well, you know, the regular BS.

The guy might agree to pay me a "fair" amount (instead of his original BS offer of $50) in lieu of going through ICBC, as a claim might increase his insurance premiums. The nose has to come off the Formula to properly attach a replacement badge. So even if nothing else is damaged, I'd at least want to be reimbursed for this labor as well. I don't want a shop touching the car. ICBC will pay a cash settlement if I wish to go that route.

I wanted to file a final report. It's actually good news.

I told the guy we were going to go through the proper channels with our provincial auto insurance company. I felt this was the fairest way to deal with the situation. He was contacted by the insurance company, and he at least admitted his liability.... which was the first and only decent thing he did after backing into me.

I went to have the damage assessed at one of the government auto insurance inspection centers. The end result... they cut me a cheque for just over $800. I was speechless. I think the adjuster must've liked Fieros.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 07-08-2015).]

PFF
System Bot
Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2015 10:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fiero Store emblem as stated is junk. Maybe you can re-polish yours?
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2015 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Alex4mula:

Maybe you can re-polish yours?

Possibly, but the back plate is toast. I'll get something decent on there eventually.

Originally posted by Patrick:

Both studs were broken off the back plate and the plate itself was also broken in two. The emblem itself didn't break, but it's heavily scuffed by the truck sliding over it before the back plate let go of the nose. If worse comes to worse, it might be doable to cut-polish the scuffs off the emblem and glue it onto a replacement back plate.

It actually looks worse in real life than in the image, but it still might be salvageable with cut-polish and a new back plate if a whole new replacement can't be had.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock