car cleaning by jim94
Started on: 03-04-2015 12:41 AM
Replies: 22 (513 views)
Last post by: jim94 on 03-11-2015 09:56 PM
jim94

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2015 12:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jim94Send a Private Message to jim94Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How many people would clean their car for 3 weeks for a car show. I removed all wheel wells, detailed everything. Removed brakes calipers and lubed pins, painted rotors and touched up the calipers. Tomorrow I clean the garage and then wash the car. Detail rubber seals, put mats back in and have my wife clean the windows because I can't clean windows to save my life. I should be done by Sunday. Then I can rest or take the scoot for a ride. Amelia island cars and coffee here I come, march 14 then Daytona march 28. March is the best month.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2015 08:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I admire your dedication. Sometimes I get on a tear like that too. Amelia Island allows Fiero's or are you going as a spectator?
Phil

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2015 03:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilSend a Private Message to PhilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Been there.......done that. Years ago Phil had his 3800SC Formula in the Wprld of Wheels show in Boston, MA in January no less. We spent New Year's Eve in the unseated garage replacing the trunk liner. Phil spent weeks preparing that car for the show and when club members showed up at the show they were convinced he had had the car painted. We had a hard time convincing them it hadn't been painted. Phil even messed up his shoulder detailing for that show and it took months to heal. Yes, we were those people back then. Did the crazy detailing for the Daytona show every year. We finally decided to leave that level of detailing to others and instead just do a nice cruise night detailing and enjoy ourselves, especially at the Daytona show.

Gwen (Phil's wife)
TXOPIE

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2015 04:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don't feel bad...I am so bad...I detail some part of one of my cars daily...its almost a routine
jim94

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2015 07:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jim94Send a Private Message to jim94Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Amelia island is on Saturday called cars and coffee and is free. The main show is on Sunday.
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2015 08:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jim94:

How many people would clean their car for 3 weeks for a car show. I removed all wheel wells, detailed everything. Removed brakes calipers and lubed pins, painted rotors and touched up the calipers. Tomorrow I clean the garage and then wash the car. Detail rubber seals, put mats back in and have my wife clean the windows because I can't clean windows to save my life. I should be done by Sunday. Then I can rest or take the scoot for a ride. Amelia island cars and coffee here I come, march 14 then Daytona march 28. March is the best month.

I was wondering how you managed to get into the show since a Fiero is too new to qualify. I was not aware of the distinction between Cars and Coffee and the main show so thanks for clarifying that for me.

Nelson
randye

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2015 10:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

How many people would clean their car for 3 weeks for a car show.

3 weeks?! Why the rush job?
I've been known to use an entire family size box of Q-tips cleaning my engine compartment before a big show.
We'll leave it at that......

------------------

[This message has been edited by randye (edited 03-04-2015).]

Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2015 06:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by randye:

3 weeks?! Why the rush job?
I've been known to use an entire family size box of Q-tips cleaning my engine compartment before a big show.
We'll leave it at that......

Wow, nice looking engine
Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2015 01:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I used to do the extreme detailing, even climbing under the car to clean the underside. After owning the car for 28 years and 152,000 miles, I'll use my power washer to clean the wheel wells, wheels and use Turtle Wax wash-wax solution to clean the car, then some detail spray. Most car shows I have to drive the car which will get dirty or drive in the rain, then have to start over.
css9450

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2015 01:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Amelia island is on Saturday called cars and coffee and is free.

At the same venue as the main show?

I'm actually in the area that day (well, St. Augustine) but probably won't have time to attend. But if my plans change... Its good to have options.

Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2015 01:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For me when I really get into the detailing it becomes a way to relieve stress because I forget about everything else and think only about what I am doing.
PFF
System Bot

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2015 02:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Maybe when I retire.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2015 03:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I detail high end cars as part of my 'retired' business, mostly from customers Ive done work for. Machine polish, hand wash everything including nooks and crannies of wheels, shampoo carpet and seats, treat all leather and vinyl, clean and shampoo trunk, touching up minor paint nicks, even wax inside door jams. Average job is 5 hours. I always kept all my cars pretty much spotless all the time, so cleaning for shows seldom took an hour. You could eat off my engines. All were drivers year round, rain, snow, ice didnt much matter. Ive been a car show judge many times myself...and I hate judging cars by how clean they are. As long as its acceptable, Id rather concentrate on things like custom touches, ingenuity, general condition of paint and interior, general engine appearance. I could care less if theres soot in the exhaust tips or a piece of lint on the carpet. Ive got an average car rated in 2-3 minutes. You need to get ready for a show with obvious things that pop first. Even judges at Pebble Beach Concours show dont spend 10-15 mins at one car. I think your overcleaning myself. What happens if you spend 3 weeks cleaning and get to Daytona and it rains for a whole day... If you just like cleaning, have at it.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2015 05:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

I detail high end cars as part of my 'retired' business, mostly from customers Ive done work for. Machine polish, hand wash everything including nooks and crannies of wheels, shampoo carpet and seats, treat all leather and vinyl, clean and shampoo trunk, touching up minor paint nicks, even wax inside door jams. Average job is 5 hours. I always kept all my cars pretty much spotless all the time, so cleaning for shows seldom took an hour. You could eat off my engines. All were drivers year round, rain, snow, ice didnt much matter. Ive been a car show judge many times myself...and I hate judging cars by how clean they are. As long as its acceptable, Id rather concentrate on things like custom touches, ingenuity, general condition of paint and interior, general engine appearance. I could care less if theres soot in the exhaust tips or a piece of lint on the carpet. Ive got an average car rated in 2-3 minutes. You need to get ready for a show with obvious things that pop first. Even judges at Pebble Beach Concours show dont spend 10-15 mins at one car. I think your overcleaning myself. What happens if you spend 3 weeks cleaning and get to Daytona and it rains for a whole day... If you just like cleaning, have at it.

Hey mind sharing some of the products you use? Also for Shampooing do you use a machine then? Thanks
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2015 10:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I use carpet/upholstery shampoo and an interior scrub brush on normal cars. Really bad carpets and seats, I have a Bissle Clean Machine that does great. I hand wax/polish paint, and charge extra if it needs machine buffed with compound. I use mostly 3M and Meguires supplies and some Turtle Wax stuff. Old Turtle Wax Ice (you cant buy anymore) is excellent for satin black paint and parts. I bought a bunch before they stopped making it. It waxes the satin colors but still leaves it with the same sheen its supposed to have. I buy microfiber clothes in bulk and use about 1/2 dozen per car. I only use them on one car, then they are shop rags. I recently done a Shelby Mustang with a tan interior that the carpet was completely blackened with dirt and oil and it came out a 9 out of 10 for looking new.
spirit

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2015 11:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for spiritSend a Private Message to spiritEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I use nothing but Liquid Glass to wax my car(s) and a toothbrush to clean the crevices. Then 303 on all rubber and unpainted plastic. 303 on the rubber and have never replaced any weatherstrips except the trunk from people leaning over to see the engine and using their hands to brace on the truck w/strip.
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2015 02:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When I can afford it I use Malm's pure carnauba wax
jim94

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2015 06:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jim94Send a Private Message to jim94Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well all the parts I took off had never been off the car(wheel wells). If I had a lift I would polish under the car. I did clean the original mats in the tub.if I clean parts made of metal I put boiled linseed oil on it for rust protection. I love clean
steve308

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2015 10:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I do a 'major' in the spring and a major for Carlisle show. I clean, steam and polish everything I can reach (and some areas I can't). The only areas I can't get to a mirror shine is the inner wheels but I get close! I go to a bunch of shows / C&C's and cruise ins and as long as I don't get caught in a storm I can keep things semi-show quality and I drive it every chance I can.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2015 05:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ive done 4-5 car shows a week for many years, when in season. I generally go everywhere in Ohio, but used to go to Carlisle too. One typical summer week was London, Ohio on thurs nite, South Bloomfield on Tues nite, Cols west side Fri nite, Plain City on Sat afternoon, Reynoldsburg on Sat nite, Newark on Sun afternoon.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2015 07:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

... Old Turtle Wax Ice (you cant buy anymore) is excellent for satin black paint and parts. I bought a bunch before they stopped making it. It waxes the satin colors but still leaves it with the same sheen its supposed to have..

I like that stuff too, didnt know they stopped making it.
PFF
System Bot
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2015 11:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yep, anything else you put on say a mopar blacked out hood, turns white. When it does that, it cant be removed, you have to repaint it. I even mask off flat black hoods when I buff one, or tape off the edges when im waxing.

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 03-11-2015).]

jim94

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2015 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jim94Send a Private Message to jim94Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
One of my major complaints is that the car is a magnet for dust and pollen. I covered it , I had enough. Saturday morning here I come.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock