My 86 GT by snypez221
Started on: 02-23-2015 06:50 PM
Replies: 19 (589 views)
Last post by: snypez221 on 07-02-2015 08:13 PM
snypez221

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2015 06:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for snypez221Send a Private Message to snypez221Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey guys,

I have been reading a bunch about everything on these forums ( it has helped me a lot through the process of dropping the motor and narrowing down the possible issues of why my car was not running).

I bought my 86 GT back in September. It was not running at all when I bought it, the previous owner had enough with the car and wanted to clear out the garage for his new project. He had "big plans" for the car.

He converted it to carbureted(Holley 390cfm) along with 1.6 ratio roller rockers and a (I believe) CompCam 252.

I have been reading a bunch about everything on these forums ( it has helped me a lot through the process of dropping the motor and narrowing down the possible issues of why it was not running).

I ended up getting it to start, but it would "randomly" die. I still am not sure on why, I honestly haven't touched the car much since this happened. I have a feeling it has to do with the carb set up. I have never messed with carburetored cars much before.

I will upload some pictures tommorow. This is just a brief introduction. I am going to start working on the car again to try to get it running for spring. I will be posting updates.

Hope to meet some cool people and possibly ( one day ) help people with thier issues.

Things to do:

- Sort out the wiring harness to verify everything that is needed is still there and delete all uneeded wires
- currently in a plastic bag zip tied under the battery tray

- Mount the oil filter somewhere
- it is ziptied under the battery tray along with the loose wires
- looks like a botched relocation kit

- Attempt to tune the carb
- no experience with this besides reading the manual online.

- If all else fails ( 3800 SC swap )
- been looking into this more and more, but currently do not want to overwhelm myself as this car is my first project

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2015 06:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome
zzzhuh

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2015 07:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zzzhuhSend a Private Message to zzzhuhEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
First thing you should do is download PIP

//www.fiero.nl/pip.html

That way you can upload photo's. If you have troubles give me a P.M. or comment on this thread, I'll be happy to help.

Welcome to the forums!

------------------
Every fiero has a story, It's our job to keep that story alive.

tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2015 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome, and congrats on the purchase.
snypez221

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2015 10:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for snypez221Send a Private Message to snypez221Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I seemed to have lost the pictures of the process of dropping the rear subframe and all. Not sure where they disappeared to.

I did take a couple pictures today to show the current state of the car.

Here is the car parked in its hibernation chamber.

Here is a picture of the engine in all of its glory.

This is the rat's nest of wires, the oil filter is not pictured but it is ziptied to the bottom of the battery tray. Can anyone suggest a decent location to mount the relocation kit?
Any suggestions on what to do with all of the extra wires? I was thinking take the whole wiring harness out and delete all of the unneeded wires.

Any idea what exhaust this is? PO said it was a custom exhaust. I have not noticed any markings or branding on it. It is also completely wrapped.

[This message has been edited by snypez221 (edited 02-24-2015).]

infinitewill

Feedback score:    (55)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2015 08:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by infinitewill (edited 03-19-2015).]

Grantman

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2015 09:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GrantmanSend a Private Message to GrantmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
welcome. looks like you've picked up a challenge with all the mods but lots of promise. someone went to a lot of trouble but the car looks like it's got good bones. hard to tell but the headers don't look to me like either sprints or Francis' so thinking they might be west coast fieros. maybe the seller is a member on here and you can find his build thread to help you out with how he put the pieces together.

Looks like fun, take your time.

[This message has been edited by Grantman (edited 02-25-2015).]

Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2015 09:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If the 10th digit on your VIN is F, you have a 1985 GT.
Kitskaboodle

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2015 10:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's an 85 GT. Look at the center console. There will not be an auxiliary gauge package,
Kit
snypez221

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2015 02:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for snypez221Send a Private Message to snypez221Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well I goofed. I have thought all along and told people it was an 86. Double checked the title and it is indeed an 85. Thank you all for the info

I am very impressed with the over all condition of the car. Hope to get it up and running very soon.
snypez221

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2015 05:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for snypez221Send a Private Message to snypez221Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

snypez221

9 posts
Member since Feb 2015
Well I goofed. I have thought all along and told people it was an 86. Double checked the title and it is indeed an 85. Thank you all for the info

I am very impressed with the over all condition of the car. Hope to get it up and running very soon.
PFF
System Bot
snypez221

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2015 03:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for snypez221Send a Private Message to snypez221Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I took the car for a ride on Monday, as it was relatively warm. Drove it about 5 miles, it did not stall once. This was pretty exciting. It could have been the cold weather and the "tune" on the carb that was causing the issue.

I went to start it up today, no fuel pump. The car started for all of 10 seconds, I was thinking I jsut could not hear the fuel pump as there was some background noise. I start probing with the multimeter and find that there are a lot of secrets about the wiring. There are spliced connections all over. Unconnected connectors under the dash. The fuel pump seems to be spliced into the ignition wires. It is the brown/white wire spliced into the pink/black wire about 4 inches from the ECM connector. I have read about hotwiring the fuel pump, but this seems like an incorrect way of doing it.

I tested for 12 volts between the pink/black wire and the ground bolt under the center console with the key on, nothing. Checked the fuse and it is ok. Should 12 volts be shown here?

This project is starting to be a bigger head ache than I originally thought it would be. I am really leaning towards doing a full trace of the wiring and cleaning it up, and dropping a 3800sc in it next winter. I would really like to get the 2.8 up and running for this season.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2015 03:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the forum
Its going to be interesting with this car and its rigged wiring.
The carb dying could just be the choke settings on the carb?
Research regarding how to set a carb up in a previously fuel injected car may be required. I've not done that before.
snypez221

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2015 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for snypez221Send a Private Message to snypez221Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It has been a while since I was able to work on the car at all. This past week and a half I have been on vacation and have worked on it quite a bit.

I dropped the fuel tank(not fun with a full tank.) The fuel pump ended up having a short. The wire was pinched somewhere along the top of the tank. It was not in the rubber "grommet" that the fuel lines run in. I replaced the fuel pump while the tank was out as I want to do a 3800sc swap in the future.

Also, I took the engine wiring harness out of the car to get rid of all of the unneeded wiring. There are a great deal of wires that are unneeded due to no AC and the car being carbed. I was looking at the wiring diagram yesterday and started erasing the deleted wiring. Here is the diagram:

While I was looking at this there are a couple of thoughts going through my head:

1.) Is the coolant temp sensor for the ECM even required?

2.) Is the ECM even required anymore? I did read in a couple posts of the ECM having accident safety. Where it will shut off the fuel pump in case of an accident, I don't understand this as it has no sensors or connections to tell it when this happens?

3.) The VSS. Is the ECM connection required for the gauge to properly operate?

I ordered some heat reflective tape and harness tape to put the wiring harness back together, but want to get it as bare as possible before I use that expensive reflective tape.

Thank you for reading,
Ryan
Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2015 07:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Another Cleveland guy. Cool! Welcome!
snypez221

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2015 07:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for snypez221Send a Private Message to snypez221Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jason88Notchie:

Another Cleveland guy. Cool! Welcome!

I have only seen 2 or 3 Fieros around anywhere. They are scarce around here. Hope to see you around.
I got what was left of the wiring harness taped up today. It seems pretty pointless now to even have the ECM, especially after how small the wiring harness looks:

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

I did add a wire from the ECM fuel pump relay drive through the engine harness toward the C500 connector. I will be using the "hotwire" instructions for the wiring of the fuel pump.

Tomorrow's goals are to get the harness back into the car as well as the gas tank. If all goes well, I should be able to try to start her.

It already is looking a lot cleaner in the engine bay without half the wires just hanging by the battery.
Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2015 02:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We got a gaggle of them around here...
snypez221

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2015 05:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for snypez221Send a Private Message to snypez221Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I guess I just don't drive around enough. Or go to any sort of car shows/meets. Once I get her running I hope to though.
Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2015 05:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What part of CLE you at?
snypez221

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2015 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for snypez221Send a Private Message to snypez221Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
West side. Fairview Park

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock