How many OEM seat options were there? by Quad Raider
Started on: 02-11-2015 12:03 PM
Replies: 14 (1682 views)
Last post by: 2.5 on 02-12-2015 08:31 AM
Quad Raider

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2015 12:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad RaiderSend a Private Message to Quad RaiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
While pulling other parts off a Fiero in the salvage yard last week, I noticed that one of the seat backs looked pretty good. The original gray seats that came in my '87 Coupe need help; the driver's side has huge rips in both the back and bottom, while the passenger side has a large red stain where the previous owner spilled nail polish.

I've always thought I'd try reupholstering my seats and even bought some fabric a while back, but I decided to buy both seats out of the salvage yard car. I was thinking I could mix and match bottoms and backs from these, my original seats and a third set I bought last year. I hadn't looked at my seats in a long time and was surprised when I compared the three sets.

This is the salvage yard set I got Monday.

As you can see, these seats have the Fiero logo on the backs, plus a horizontal leather strip below it. My original seats don't have either, they're just plain fabric and all one color. The other salvage yard seats I got last year have different color fabric on different sections of both the backs and bottoms.

Is this upholstery after-market? If not, how many different kinds of gray seats came from the factory?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
zzzhuh

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2015 12:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zzzhuhSend a Private Message to zzzhuhEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My 86' GT has the same seats as the one you have a picture of.

I have seem them in all one color (either gray or brown) and I've also seen a vinyl leather (those seem to be a bit more rare.) and I've also seen these one's. There are also some 88's with a power seat for the driver that includes lumbar support (these are about as rare as it gets.) Im sure im missing one or two but that seems to be it.

BTW, there was a dark grey and light grey during the fiero's lifespan.
dobey

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post02-11-2015 01:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Those are just the standard grey 86-88 GT seats.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2015 02:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Depends on the year and model. Some things I think I rememeber :

84 Indys had one of a kind seats, leather side bolsters with red centers.
84 had center stripes
84 and 85 had darker side bolsters and lighter center
84 and 85 had speakers
84-87 had one type of fabric pattern, and 88 had a different pattern (you need to look close)
Base and sport models had no shoulder height band or Fiero logo patch.
86 and 87 SE (V6) and GT models had shoulder height band or Fiero logo patch
88 GT had the vertical pleats up the center and no strip or logo.
88 Formula had plain seats with no strip or logo.

Colors, available in some specific years..(they have technical names but...)
I believe there was gray, tan, darker brown, darker brown suade with a sort of fluffy wool center, leather, seats with adjustable lumbar support, seats with "pleats" or vertical stitch lines in the center.

How'd I do?

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 02-12-2015).]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2015 02:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

43222 posts
Member since May 2007

85?

88GT in Tan with vertical pleats:

Wooly Suade

86 and 87 Base/sport on left, and SE/GT on right

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 02-12-2015).]

dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-11-2015 03:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

Depends on the year and model. Some things I think I rememeber :

84 Indys had one of a kind seats, leather side bolsters with red centers.
84 had center stripes
84 and 85 had darker side bolsters and lighter center
84 and 85 had speakers
84-87 had one type of fabric pattern, and 88 had a different pattern (you need to look close)
Base and sport models had no shoulder height band or Fiero logo patch.
SE and GT models had shoulder height band or Fiero logo patch (only 86 and up I believe? Possibly 85GT?)

85 GT had plain seats. The strip/logo was only 86-up. I thought they were GT only, but maybe the V6 SE got them too?
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2015 03:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had an '86 SE with the logo in the seats. Based on the rest of the car, probably original.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-11-2015 03:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tshark:

I had an '86 SE with the logo in the seats. Based on the rest of the car, probably original.

Duke or V6?
zzzhuh

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2015 04:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zzzhuhSend a Private Message to zzzhuhEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

Duke or V6?

I've seen the SE models come with the same seats as a GT but I've never seen a base model with the logo and a strip.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2015 05:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Apparently there were 4 cylinder SE's, even in 1986?
It would seem only the SE with a V6 had the strip.
I wonder if there was an 86 "2M6" that was not an "SE", then did not have the seat strip?
Quad Raider

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2015 05:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad RaiderSend a Private Message to Quad RaiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, folks. I am amazed at your ability to recite details about Fiero options and parts.

I'll have to look tonight to make sure, but I'm pretty sure the pair I bought last year are like the first photo. I know they have speakers in them, but I don't remember what the upholstery looks like. The seats that came with my car are like the one on the left in the second photo, just the plain jane gray ones.

Originally posted by 2.5:

85?

86 Base/sport on left, and SE/GT on right

I was slightly bummed when I got the newest set home and realized I have three different kinds, but then just laughed because I hadn't bothered to check the first two sets before making the purchase. They were only 50 bucks, anyway, and I just can't stand to think of good parts going to the crusher. Now I'm trying to talk myself out of going back to get the dash bezels and the brake calipers. And the brake rotors. And the sunroof panel. And the dashboard. And the doors.

[This message has been edited by Quad Raider (edited 02-11-2015).]

PFF
System Bot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2015 05:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Quad Raider:

Thanks, folks. I am amazed...

No guarantees but I have heard alot going to shows around the midwest, talked to alot of enthusiasts, and have had a few cars myself.

A place to know for sure is get one of these, I have one at home just not on me :

"NIFE Fiero Enthusiasts Guide:
Version 3.0
The most in-depth comprehensive documented information on the Stock Fiero presently available in an 8.5"x11" spiral bound book. An exclusive publication of NIFE that features what every Fiero Enthusiast needs to know about the Pontiac Fiero with more information in one publication than any other publication available on the market today!
Over 45 pages of:
1. Up todate Fiero Facts
2. Fiero Statistics
3. Specifications
4. Highlights of each year Fiero
5. Detailed year-by-year Fiero information
6. Over 14 pages of Full-color graphics including over 130 color images"
http://www.fierofocus.com/store.html

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 02-11-2015).]

88FieroGT TTops

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2015 07:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88FieroGT TTopsSend a Private Message to 88FieroGT TTopsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
my 88GT DOES NOT have the logo or shoulder stripe--as far as I know that was an 86-87 GT seat (to the best of my knowledge)

------------------
Pat Jones

zzzhuh

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2015 08:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zzzhuhSend a Private Message to zzzhuhEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 88FieroGT TTops:

my 88GT DOES NOT have the logo or shoulder stripe--as far as I know that was an 86-87 GT seat (to the best of my knowledge)

This is an 88 GT with an automatic:

I've only seen 88's with this style for GT's. I have seen Formula's be all gray but I don't recall if it had the strip and the logo.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2015 08:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by zzzhuh:

This is an 88 GT with an automatic:

I've only seen 88's with this style for GT's. I have seen Formula's be all gray but I don't recall if it had the strip and the logo.

Formulas I do know. The Formula seat is just all gray with no vertical pleats.
I hadn't noticed 88Gts dont have the strip and logo, good to know.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock