Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Did '84 warranty engine replacement for cracked blocks include a new clutch?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Did '84 warranty engine replacement for cracked blocks include a new clutch? by David Hambleton
Started on: 01-30-2015 10:10 PM
Replies: 14 (424 views)
Last post by: Patrick on 02-03-2015 03:37 AM
David Hambleton

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2015 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In March 1988 my '84 SE was blowing steam out of the exhaust. The engine was replaced under warranty due to a cracked block. It seems to me that the engine was complete from rocker cover to oil pan; all seals installed.
I believe A/C compressors & alternators were transferred from the original engine.

I suspect the original clutch was transferred as well; can someone confirm that?

If the original clutch was transferred, I have 367,000 kilometers or 228,000 miles on the original clutch.
If the engine came with a new clutch then I only have 265,000 kilometers or 165,000 miles on the current clutch.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
1986 Fiero GT

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2015 07:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1986 Fiero GTSend a Private Message to 1986 Fiero GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Holy crow. Either way, congrats. I can barely get half of even the smaller number out of a clutch.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2015 08:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by David Hambleton:

If the original clutch was transferred, I have 367,000 kilometers or 228,000 miles on the original clutch.
If the engine came with a new clutch then I only have 265,000 kilometers or 165,000 miles on the current clutch.

David, do you only start off in 1st gear while coasting down a hill or what?
GTGeff

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2015 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTGeffSend a Private Message to GTGeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

A new clutch was not included when my engine block was replaced in 1988. With only 43000 miles I do not think it was needed. It did get a new transmission seal of some sort that was not covered by the warranty while the engine was out. Minor leak.

We were told there was a defective engine casting coming out of the GM plant in Mexico. This caused the coolant leak into the oil creating a new Hershey chocolate look.

Of course, the '84 SE was than rear-ended and totaled less than 5,000 miles later.
California Kid

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2015 11:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There's really no way to tell what the Dealer may have done, since it was a big warranty item, if the Dealer had a new engine and trans assembly sitting in his parts bin, it may have be cheaper for them to just install all new parts included in that assembly, rather than labor time to transfer your part to new block. I had heard that Dealers were getting brand new full engine assemblies with trans included for dirt cheap through GM at the time.

My brother in-law had damn near ever single moving part replaced under warranty in about a 2 years period, once the **** hit the fan on failures.
tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2015 08:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got over 160,00 out of my 86 SE's original clutch. It failed at a stoplight when the throwout bearing locked up and went through the pressure plate fingers. Took the sleeve off the input shaft as well.
David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2015 04:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tesmith66:

I got over 160,00 out of my 86 SE's original clutch. It failed at a stoplight when the throwout bearing locked up and went through the pressure plate fingers. Took the sleeve off the input shaft as well.

My throw out bearing (throw up bearing on the invoice Lol!) seized at 201,000 kilometers (125,000 miles). When the tranny was pulled to gain access, the Saturn service manager (my friend and neighbour) said if it was his car he wouldn't replace the clutch because it looked so good.

I've been expecting to replace the clutch for years... I even have experience now since I replaced the engine in my '86.

David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2015 04:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

David Hambleton

1581 posts
Member since Nov 2012

Originally posted by Patrick:

David, do you only start off in 1st gear while coasting down a hill or what?

I engage the clutch gently then hammer the go pedal pretty good to avoid being run over by bicycles and baby carriages.

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2015 01:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tesmith66:

I'm not referring to you specifically, but I'm curious if it's common for people to sit at a stoplight with their clutch pushed in... instead of taking the tranny out of gear and releasing the clutch.

I suspect holding the clutch pedal down on a regular basis would eventually cause the throw-out bearing to fail.
tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2015 07:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I usually sit with the pedal pressed for a quick light, or do the neutral thing if it's gonna be a while. It all depends on my mood at the time, I guess...
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2015 08:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A new clutch probably was not included with warranty work, but may have been done because the engine was out (additional cost for parts).

As for mileage. I had an '88 Formula with over 200K on the original clutch.
PFF
System Bot
KurtAKX

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2015 10:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KurtAKXSend a Private Message to KurtAKXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm not referring to you specifically, but I'm curious if it's common for people to sit at a stoplight with their clutch pushed in... instead of taking the tranny out of gear and releasing the clutch.

I suspect holding the clutch pedal down on a regular basis would eventually cause the throw-out bearing to fail.

It depends on your training.

Here in the US, it's pretty common to see people sitting at the light in neutral.
In the UK, it's much more common to find people sitting at the light in first gear, foot on the clutch, due to their driver instruction programs.
David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2015 07:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I can't remember ever holding the clutch in for more than a few seconds in 50+ years of driving, starting as a kid on the farm.

In the '84, the clutch will engage after a while even if the pedal is on the floor. Been that way for some 15 years... Can't decide if it's the master or slave that has a bad seal. Someday I'll fix it... Maybe...

1986 Fiero GT

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2015 10:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1986 Fiero GTSend a Private Message to 1986 Fiero GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by David Hambleton:

I can't remember ever holding the clutch in for more than a few seconds in 50+ years of driving, starting as a kid on the farm.

Holding the clutch in for more than about a second makes my stomach hurt. Especially with a HTOB because they're more expensive and tougher to replace. Anyway, I usually coast the last 50 feet to an intersection in neutral and never hold the clutch pedal down. I just take off pretty aggressively during the winter. AWD Subaru likes to get slideways.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2015 03:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 1986 Fiero GT:

I usually coast the last 50 feet to an intersection in neutral and never hold the clutch pedal down.

That's how I handle coming to a stop as well. I step in the clutch and put it in gear immediately before the light change.

When I'm in a car with someone else driving, and they're sitting at a stoplight in first gear with the clutch pedal to the floor... I feel like screaming.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock