5-speed shift and select cable question by Quad Raider
Started on: 01-30-2015 09:52 PM
Replies: 5 (366 views)
Last post by: Quad Raider on 01-31-2015 06:05 PM
Quad Raider

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2015 09:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad RaiderSend a Private Message to Quad RaiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are the shift and select cables for the duke the same as for the V6? More specifically, are the ends of the cables where they attach to the brackets the same diameter and shape?

My '87 had the Isuzu 5 speed, which I'm replacing with the Getrag out of my GTZ. If I find a V6 car with the Getrag brackets, will the brackets fit the Isuzu cables?

If the cables are different, do I have to change the whole cable or are the ends removable?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2015 10:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The ends on all the 4-speeds are the same, whether the 84 4-cylinder or the 85 and 86 V6's. There is a slight difference in the lengths, with the 84's being a little shorter. The Isuzu 5-speeds transmission ends are only to themselves as are the Getrags. The aluminum pieces at the shifter are the same throughout.
Quad Raider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2015 10:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad RaiderSend a Private Message to Quad RaiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, fierofool, that's what I was afraid of. Can I switch out the ends of the cables where they attach to the transmission brackets, or do I have to switch over the whole cables?
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2015 10:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If they can be swapped out, It would probably require specialized equipment. Rodney makes the cables along the lines of OEM. Maybe drop him an email to find out for sure, but I think they're crimped on at the ends.
Rodney

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 267
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2015 05:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The ends are crimped on shift and select cables.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

Fiero Parts And Acc's Web Page:
All new web page!:www.rodneydickman.com
Rodney Dickman's Fiero accessories
7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

Quad Raider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2015 06:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad RaiderSend a Private Message to Quad RaiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, Rodney. It's not the first time this Isuzu vs Getrag issue has bitten me on the butt.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock