Factory Spoiler Question by Jfrost
Started on: 01-27-2015 09:40 AM
Replies: 9 (334 views)
Last post by: Larry Nakamura on 01-29-2015 01:44 PM
Jfrost

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2015 09:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JfrostSend a Private Message to JfrostEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Last year I picked up an 87 GT with a spoiler and a deck lid that wouldn't function (stay up under its own strength). Since removing the engine last night I expected to find broken torsion bars causing the issue however, to my surprise they are both fully in tact. This leads into my question: how do you tell if your car came with a spoiler from the factory?

I looked through and RPO code list and couldn't locate one specific to the spoiler. There were a few option packages that could include it, but a search turned up nothing. I'm leaning towards this not being a factory spoiler but rather an add on by a previous owner. The reason I feel this is the lack of adjustment of the springs to account for the extra spoiler weight (preventing it from staying up), and the hasty installation of the screws underneath the deck lid: non factory screws going in at odd angles.

Any help it figuring this out would be greatly appreciated.

------------------
Project L67 Fiero

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2015 10:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Factory wing is mounted with nuts, studs are in the wing.
What position are the torsion rod pins installed in? Rearward-most hole is highest tension.
Jfrost

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2015 11:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JfrostSend a Private Message to JfrostEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The pins are located in the middle slots. I also took another look at the deck lid and the screws are mounted from the bottom going up into the spoiler stands, no nut/bolt combo at all. Like I said, it looks sloppy and an after thought as far as installation goes.
darbysan

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2015 11:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darbysanSend a Private Message to darbysanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just had the opposite problem- too much spring tension after removing the spoiler. Try adjusting the spring tension to the rearmost hole. I think that may take care of your problem. Just be careful!
Jfrost

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2015 11:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JfrostSend a Private Message to JfrostEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It is always a nerve racking process to adjust/remove the bars. I do know adjusting them would resolve the issue but I had planned to remove them anyway, I prefer the spoiler-less look. My question is based more on curiosity as to how the car came from the factory.
css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2015 05:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jfrost:

I looked through and RPO code list and couldn't locate one specific to the spoiler. There were a few option packages that could include it, but a search turned up nothing.

The code for the spoiler is D80. You'll see the code there even on cars where the spoiler was standard, such as the Formula. If there's no D80 code, the car didn't have a spoiler originally.

Jfrost

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2015 05:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JfrostSend a Private Message to JfrostEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by css9450:

The code for the spoiler is D80. You'll see the code there even on cars where the spoiler was standard, such as the Formula. If there's no D80 code, the car didn't have a spoiler originally.

That's exactly what I was looking for, thanks! I checked out the RPO sticker and did not see D80 so it looks like my hunches were correct. I'm pretty excited it came without one from the factory as I feel it's not too common on the GT's.
css9450

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2015 07:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mine was the same way; originally built without a spoiler but someone added one years ago. An aftermarket one, like from JC Whitney or someplace, which more-or-less resembled the factory spoiler minus the removable wingstands. And it had been installed using regular hardware-store type bolts. It was in poor shape so I was glad to swap to a nicer wingless decklid with no holes when I found one in the junkyard.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2015 09:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by css9450:

The Indy and Formula were the only models that came standard with the wing.
Larry Nakamura

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2015 01:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Larry NakamuraSend a Private Message to Larry NakamuraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can also get struts from Rodney for the rear deck that will help it
stay up. I put two on my 88GT just for looks.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock