Started on: 01-24-2015 08:15 AM
Replies: 12 (487 views)
Last post by: IMSA GT on 01-24-2015 06:52 PM
cam-a-lot

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2015 08:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am sure this has been discussed to death already.... but I couldn't find it using the search function.

I am doing business with a company in Toronto that manufactures and runs molds for interior plastic components, and they have the knowledge/skillset to reverse engineer and make these windows, though I assume there is some printing process involved with the dot matrix/black borders. I really am pretty busy with work and wouldn't want to get involved with this stuff unless there is a real need for these parts, so if the Fierostore windows look and work fine, then I won't even look into this option any further. I am not asking for anyone to commit to buying anything, as there have been far too many dreamers who get others excited, then don't produce any parts and disappear

If there is already a thread on the Fierostore windows, please reply with the link

thanks

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2015 08:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The FieroStore posted that they carry windows from Chris Cook and kahines. Chris Cook's are available on ebay at gtfiero.

There are Chris Cook's
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/089031.html

Reviews here:
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/093822.html

[This message has been edited by tshark (edited 01-24-2015).]

cam-a-lot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2015 08:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
thanks. That doesn't look exactly like OEM to me, but pretty darn close. If people are happy with them, then no need to reinvent the wheel..

thanks for the link
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2015 08:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The windows got mixed reviews.
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2015 08:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

tshark

4388 posts
Member since Feb 2014
Totally not on topic, but the tail lights are the thing that really seems to be a problem.
cam-a-lot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2015 08:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know, but making tail light molds is about 20 times more complex and expensive than the quarter windows. It makes absolutely no financial sense to build new molds for the tail lights- unless someone WANTS to lose about $80,000 in tooling costs. I used to be a mold maker, so I am very familiar with what is involved, and there is not nearly enough demand to justify the expense.
1MohrFiero

Feedback score:    (37)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2015 08:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1MohrFieroSend a Private Message to 1MohrFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cam-a-lot:

I know, but making tail light molds is about 20 times more complex and expensive than the quarter windows. It makes absolutely no financial sense to build new molds for the tail lights- unless someone WANTS to lose about $80,000 in tooling costs. I used to be a mold maker, so I am very familiar with what is involved, and there is not nearly enough demand to justify the expense.

The Fiero Store made tail lights about 2005 for a short time at a reasonable price. I have a set on my car and no has ever noticed the difference. I don't know why they stopped.

------------------

seajai

Feedback score:    (42)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2015 01:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 1MohrFiero:

The Fiero Store made tail lights about 2005 for a short time at a reasonable price. I have a set on my car and no has ever noticed the difference. I don't know why they stopped.

Pretty sure the company making the parts went belly up and the molds were lost.
cshults

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2015 03:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cshultsSend a Private Message to cshultsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cam-a-lot:

If there is already a thread on the Fierostore windows, please reply with the link

thanks

After having just read the entire thread of reviews, I'd say there is certainly demand for an alternative - if done right and of consistent quality with the dot matrix screening and GT lettering. I'd be very hesitant to order a set from Chris Cook, Ken H., or TFS after reading those reviews.
wftb

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2015 04:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got mine from the fiero store .I am happy with them , I have no idea who made them though .They do not match the forward vertical contour perfectly is the only thing to complain about .I thought that would cause additional wind noise , but it did not .They look good , but not OEM fit .
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2015 04:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would like The Fiero Store to comment to provide some perspective.

Both Chris and KA Hines have had mixed results, and, when good, both were better than the windows they replaced.

I believe mine are from Chris. I ran into another owner with Chris' windows and he was happy with his.

I would like to replace my windows, but want custom lettering.
PFF
System Bot
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2015 04:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

tshark

4388 posts
Member since Feb 2014

Originally posted by seajai:
Pretty sure the company making the parts went belly up and the molds were lost.

Yes, very sad. They were the factory molds, I believe.

IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2015 06:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tshark:

Yes, very sad. They were the factory molds, I believe.

I'm amazed that whoever owns that company doesn't realize the goldmine he is sitting on. Nor does he want to help out the Fiero community by manufacturing and selling them on his own.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock