Possible eBay shenanigans? by cshults
Started on: 01-21-2015 07:17 PM
Replies: 36 (699 views)
Last post by: dobey on 01-23-2015 09:39 AM
cshults

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2015 07:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cshultsSend a Private Message to cshultsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Anyone know this car? Guy claims it's 100% original, but the dash and side pockets look to be out of an 88. The seats don't appear stock either, maybe from an 86?

Here's what the guy said when asked about this...

The car is all original, all those came with the car, nothing has been modified. No accident no damage whatsoever. Clear title.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pon...96&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
zzzhuh

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2015 07:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zzzhuhSend a Private Message to zzzhuhEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The dash looks the same as my 86' and it is completely original. The side pockets are questionable but could of been put on 87's. None the less, it is a steal for $1,825.00.
sco77

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2015 07:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sco77Send a Private Message to sco77Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's been painted.

------------------
86 Fiero GT: 3800sc/Manual, Cam/Mods.

tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2015 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I agree, although I have little knowledge of Fiero leather seats. I have seen the dash pocket like that on pre-'88s, though. As for the side pockets...could the prior owner have done that, or could it have been a late '87? Have someone look at it. The seller has had the car for at most 5 years, and probably knows little about it or Fieros--but I could be wrong. I think the seller is being honest, but you don't have to bid on it as all original.

I believe the '88 grey was darker than prior years'.
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post01-21-2015 07:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It looks original to me.

Ask for a picture of the RPO sticker. It will tell you what interior options it has.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2015 07:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by zzzhuh:

None the less, it is a steal for $1,825.00

Well sure, it would be... if that's what it was selling for. But it's not. We have no idea what the reserve price is.
cshults

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2015 08:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cshultsSend a Private Message to cshultsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Well sure, it would be... if that's what it was selling for. But it's not. We have no idea what the reserve price is.

He wants $7900 for it
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2015 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cshults:

He wants $7900 for it

Sure it has low miles (64,200) but $7900 seems pretty high to me for a pre '88.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 01-21-2015).]

Vernon8360

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2015 08:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Vernon8360Send a Private Message to Vernon8360Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

He wants $7900 for it

How do you know that?
cshults

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2015 08:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cshultsSend a Private Message to cshultsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Vernon8360:

How do you know that?

I asked him
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2015 08:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have an 87 that I know is original. It has cloth map pockets, cloth backing in the dash pocket and no Fiero logo on the dash pocket. I have cloth seats with the leather band across the backrest and the Fiero logo. I thought the suede seats were only available in the 86, but I'm not sure on that. $7900? I think that's a bit much, even for an 88. At least in this neck of the woods.
PFF
System Bot
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2015 09:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
He can want however much he wants. He either wants to sell or he doesn't; a buyer is either willing to pay that price, or not. There have been Meecum Fieros sold for over $17,000.
tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2015 07:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It has 87-88 headlight motors. Not original.
IIKool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2015 07:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IIKoolSend a Private Message to IIKoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There is nothing wrong with that car. Its a 87 top of the line fiero, leather seats and all. I have an 87 just like that
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2015 09:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tesmith66:

It has 87-88 headlight motors. Not original.

I must've missed something. Shouldn't this '87 have '87-'88 headlight motors?
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-22-2015 09:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IIKool:
There is nothing wrong with that car.

It's original and looks clean in pictures. But I think nothing wrong should probably be reserved for later judgement, unless someone has gone and looked it over and test driven it in person.

$7900 is probably too much for it. It sounds like a price a car dealer would put on it though.

$3500 would get you almost any stock GT in the same condition anywhere else, easily.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2015 09:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

$3500 would get you almost any stock GT in the same condition anywhere else, easily.

Where?

(Prices in MI seem to be higher than that for a Fiero in such condition)... sadly

tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2015 12:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tshark:

I must've missed something. Shouldn't this '87 have '87-'88 headlight motors?

Nope, I'm the one that missed it. I saw 86 in the first 2 posts and assumed it was an 86. The fact that it's an 87 only color combination completely eluded me. You'd think being in the Fiero game for over 20 years would have taught me more...

------------------
1986 SE Aero coupe.

3.4 DOHC swap is complete and running, now just have to finish the rest of the car...

dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-22-2015 12:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaskispyder:
Where?

(Prices in MI seem to be higher than that for a Fiero in such condition)... sadly

When I bought my 87 GT in about the same condition (75K miles when I bought it), I only paid $2500.

I have a sunroof though, and don't have the suede/leather interior or body color side mirrors. But otherwise, exactly the same as the listed car. It's in California and if an original California delivered car, can maybe ask a bit higher price, but anything over $5000 is probably way reaching and he's listing it but doesn't really want to sell it; or it's at a dealer.

And yeah, if you're in Northern MI, a car with no rust is probably going to fetch quite a premium.

[This message has been edited by dobey (edited 01-22-2015).]

TXGOOD

Feedback score:    (58)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2015 01:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I believe the '88 grey was darker than prior years'.

I believe there were only two colors of Grey.
The Indy light Grey used in 84 and 85 and the 86 and up darker Gray.
I have made cupholders for all of the years and that is what I have found.
Now, the Tan variations are a whole different subject.

[This message has been edited by TXGOOD (edited 01-22-2015).]

jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2015 01:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not just northern MI... pretty much true for all of MI. FYI, body colored side mirrors were not an option, all mirrors were black. Back in the day, $3500 bought a nice clean Fiero... but that was 10-15 years ago... it seems. (I am talking about a GT, as early notchbacks are cheaper).

When I bought my 87 GT in about the same condition (75K miles when I bought it), I only paid $2500.

I have a sunroof though, and don't have the suede/leather interior or body color side mirrors. But otherwise, exactly the same as the listed car. It's in California and if an original California delivered car, can maybe ask a bit higher price, but anything over $5000 is probably way reaching and he's listing it but doesn't really want to sell it; or it's at a dealer.

And yeah, if you're in Northern MI, a car with no rust is probably going to fetch quite a premium.

PFF
System Bot
zzzhuh

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2015 01:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zzzhuhSend a Private Message to zzzhuhEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaskispyder:

Where?

Even a shitty 86 with the iron duke and a horrible paint job goes for $3,000 in Colorado:

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/4775986557.html

Yeah... I wasn't kidding
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2015 02:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by zzzhuh:

Even a shitty 86 with the iron duke and a horrible paint job goes for $3,000 in Colorado:

1986 Pontiac Fiero - $3000 (idaho springs)

2.5 liter 4 cyl
5 spd
new tires tune-up
Brake job
77,000 actual miles
clean and fast ................

People can ask whatever price they want... what they get is entirely different.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-22-2015 02:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I don't know. That car looks like it's worth $3000 (Where the $ is MXN pesos and not USD).
cshults

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2015 04:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cshultsSend a Private Message to cshultsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

$7900 is probably too much for it. It sounds like a price a car dealer would put on it though.

I agree, he likely won't get anywhere near $7900, but finding one with low miles and in that shape for $3500 isn't easy - I came close a few years ago, the car was in great shape but had 146k miles and needed a few cosmetic things (headliner, sun visors, shift knob, quarter glass). In retrospect I wish I would have just bought that one (it was my favorite color combo both int and ext) but I was stubborn and so was the seller.

I've had my ears to the ground and eyes glued to ebay, Craigslist, autotrader, etc since and haven't been able to find one close enough like the one on ebay now or the one i nearly bought a few years ago in the ~$3500 price range.

For the car on ebay now, I'd expect to pay somewhere around $4500-$5000.
LostNotForgotton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2015 04:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LostNotForgottonClick Here to visit LostNotForgotton's HomePageSend a Private Message to LostNotForgottonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sco77:

It's been painted.

I agree. The mirror housings have been painted to match the car. Factory Fiero mirror housings are a flat black. I also agree that the door skins look to be from an 88 car.

------------------
87 Fiero GT 3.4 Pushrod with 7730 ECM and DIS
88 MERA #8313
85 Fiero SE with 3.1 pushrod
86 Fiero SE 2.8 stock

http://www.youtube.com/LostNotForgotton

dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-22-2015 05:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by LostNotForgotton:

I agree. The mirror housings have been painted to match the car. Factory Fiero mirror housings are a flat black. I also agree that the door skins look to be from an 88 car.

Don't know what makes you think the door skins look like they're from an 88.

Probably only the mirror housings were painted. At least, the VIN stickers seem to still be in place on the front fenders, and there doesn't seem to be any overspray anywhere.

On the other hand, it looks very dusty/dirty, possibly with mold growth, under the front hood.
wayneman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2015 05:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for waynemanSend a Private Message to waynemanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

A little more color sanding and you have a black fiero
cshults

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2015 05:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cshultsSend a Private Message to cshultsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Don't know what makes you think the door skins look like they're from an 88.

86 and 87 map pockets were generally cloth and also typically had the cloth insert on the dash map pocket..not vinyl like in the fiero being discussed. I've never seen an 86 or 87 with the map pockets like the one being talked about - I'm not being definitive, I've just never seen one with map pockets like the one on ebay. Every stock 86 or 87 I've seen and looked at has the map pockets like the one below in either grey or tan of course..

wayneman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2015 05:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for waynemanSend a Private Message to waynemanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I compounded and buffed my side mirrors and now they have a nice semi-gloss look to them
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-22-2015 05:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

86 and 87 map pockets were generally cloth and also typically had the cloth insert on the dash map pocket..not vinyl like in the fiero being discussed. I've never seen an 86 or 87 with the map pockets like the one being talked about - I'm not being definitive, I've just never seen one with map pockets like the one on ebay. Every stock 86 or 87 I've seen and looked at has the map pockets like the one below in either grey or tan of course..

Right, but he said "door skin" which usually means the outside panel.

Both 85 GTs I've owned had the vinyl map pockets, IIRC. But the car also has the suede seats and leather back map pocket on the dash. That's why I said to check the RPO sticker. Either they are original, or have been swapped. Does it really matter unless something's wrong? The price is too high either way.
PFF
System Bot
cshults

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2015 05:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cshultsSend a Private Message to cshultsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Either they are original, or have been swapped. Does it really matter unless something's wrong? The price is too high either way.

Depends on the reason they may have been swapped. If there was fire or flood damage to the car which prompted the installation of a new dash and door panels, then yes, I would say it matters. If they were swapped out at some point just because, no I wouldn't care.
mmeyer86gt/gtp

Feedback score:    (161)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 73
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2015 06:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mmeyer86gt/gtpSend a Private Message to mmeyer86gt/gtpEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
car is 100% original in the interior. when you ordered those seats from the dealer it received those door pockets and map pocket.
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2015 06:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The front compartment looks like...never mind. I don't want to come off negative all the time. Anyway, the interior looks very nice and clean.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2015 11:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The front compartment looks like...never mind.

Which is rather odd, as I've seen the rattiest looking Fieros with the most pristine looking front compartments. It's almost as if the seal between the compartment and the hood wasn't doing it's job as the car was driven through a depression era dust bowl.

tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2015 07:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Look! Original vintage Model T. No title. Slightly dusty. Not currently running, but ran a few years ago when it was parked. Original owner deceased. Low mileage. May need to be towed and maintenance performed prior to use. Rare condition. Collector car. Had previously been featured in a picture. Selling because vehicle is rarely driven and loss of interest. May need some TLC. The lucky new owner could get a lot of attention with this car. Comes complete with all parts shown in this picture.

Sorry. I was having some fun amusing myself.

The front seal may be bad. It just doesn't speak well of maintenance. I've seen a lot of Fieros that looked the same or worse up front, but none of them were otherwise pristine.

[This message has been edited by tshark (edited 01-23-2015).]

dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-23-2015 09:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Which is rather odd, as I've seen the rattiest looking Fieros with the most pristine looking front compartments. It's almost as if the seal between the compartment and the hood wasn't doing it's job as the car was driven through a depression era dust bowl.

Probably mice got into the front compartment, while it was sitting for a while. A 28 year old car with only 64K miles on it, has definitely spent some time just sitting there. Since the front compartment is just spare tire and not a carpeted storage area, they probably didn't really spend much time on cleaning it up. I still don't know how exactly the mice got up in there, but my car has been sitting for a while as the engine is shot from blown head gasket, and mice got in the front compartment, but the seal to the hood is still perfect. No breaks in it at all.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock