Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Notchback sail panels without the shiny parts?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Notchback sail panels without the shiny parts? by Quad Raider
Started on: 01-16-2015 12:43 PM
Replies: 5 (379 views)
Last post by: Quad Raider on 01-17-2015 11:21 PM
Quad Raider

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2015 12:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad RaiderSend a Private Message to Quad RaiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The sail panels on my '87 notchback were in good shape, but the frames were badly faded. I broke the first panel removing it from the frame, but got the second one off without any damage. I sanded and painted one of the frames and it looks so good I got to wondering if anyone had ever reinstalled the frames without the inserts.

I searched the forum and couldn't find any threads on the topic.

[This message has been edited by Quad Raider (edited 01-17-2015).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Quad Raider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2015 10:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad RaiderSend a Private Message to Quad RaiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll take that as a "no."
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2015 12:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've never seen it done.
There were people making one piece replacements that were smooth, all the way to the back edge of the side window.

If you want replacement "inserts", check out this page. http://www.fierosails.com/
Paul McKibben does these, and they look factory. He also does custom lettering and etc. I would recommend him highly.
Quad Raider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2015 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad RaiderSend a Private Message to Quad RaiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, Raydar. I plan to get a set from there. I may install my frames without the panels, though, just to see what they look like.
David Hambleton

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2015 08:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The sail panels on the '84s are metal cored plastic frames with glass inserts. My frames were corroded and twisted so I replaced them with plastic panels from an '87. The glossy panel inserts were cracked, so I removed them and cleaned off the adhesive.

I sprayed them with Duplicolor trim paint and applied Fiero Store decals.

I was satisfied enough with the results to do the same for my '86 with cracked glossy panels.
Quad Raider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2015 11:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad RaiderSend a Private Message to Quad RaiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by David Hambleton:

I was satisfied enough with the results to do the same for my '86 with cracked glossy panels.

That looks great, David. Thanks for posting the photo. I like the very subtle change. Aside from the radical color change on my '87, the other modifications I'm making are subtle, so this look would fit that theme.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock