Mera stolen in Sacramento, CA. by Rsvl-Rider
Started on: 01-07-2015 11:47 AM
Replies: 35 (1555 views)
Last post by: Gall757 on 02-09-2015 03:48 PM
Rsvl-Rider

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2015 11:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rsvl-RiderSend a Private Message to Rsvl-RiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A guy I know here in the Sacramento area just posted a Craigslist ad about his stolen Mera. I've met him a couple of times, even sold him the seats that you see in the pictures. He gave me permission to post this here. He's a good guy and he could use our help.

The police are investigating but it will probably just disappear into a chop shop or get shipped out of the country. Please take a look at the pics in his ad and keep your eyes open for this car, or any parts being offered for sale, that may have been stripped from it.

http://sacramento.craigslis.../cto/4836009040.html

------------------
John Wayne as John Bernard Books in The Shootist...
" I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."

My rides...
1988 GT with a 3.4L V6 automatic
2006 Harley Sportster
'cause I love the twisties on two wheels or four.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2015 12:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I wonder if someone thought they were getting a real Ferrari.... I am guessing it will be sold or just destroyed as there is little in the way of value in chopping it (very limited number of buyers).

Sad...
TXOPIE

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2015 01:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
VERY SAD
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2015 01:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A shame. Who would steal a Fiero? They're hard to hide. Most people who are in the community would be on the lookout for a fellow member's Fiero. None of us would buy a stolen car. Other than a quick joy ride, what woukd they do with it? Can't really sell the parts, because only Fieros use them.

Thanks for posting this, Rider, and offer condolences on his (temporary) loss to your friend.

Most of us would give a ride to anyone who asked. We're more than happy to help others get cars & parts, or talk about our cars.
dratts

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2015 02:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's the major risk that I see with my rebody. No value as a chop job. It's a Murci so it wouldn't be a good choice as a joy ride without attracting attention and I have pretty good anti theft but a trailer would always work. I'm betting joy ride. Hope it is recovered undamaged.
thesameguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2015 03:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thesameguySend a Private Message to thesameguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That sucks - I will keep my eyes out for it!
project34

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2015 04:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for project34Send a Private Message to project34Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaskispyder:

I wonder if someone thought they were getting a real Ferrari.... I am guessing it will be sold or just destroyed as there is little in the way of value in chopping it (very limited number of buyers).

Let's say that jaskispyder is correct in his speculation, namely:
  • "I wonder if someone thought they were getting a real Ferrari...."
If the thief believes that he's stolen a real Ferrari, he may try to sell it. Things then could get interesting: Suppose, for example, that a lowlife would-be buyer of the stolen Mera, or one or more of his equally lowlife buddies, realizes what the original thief did not --- that the car is a stolen Mera --- NOT a stolen Ferrari.

After that epiphany, I don't imagine there to be nothing but the bemused smiling faces of these lowlifes, as they're "having words" () with either the original thief or his lowlife representative.
DKcustoms

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2015 04:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DKcustomsSend a Private Message to DKcustomsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Someone's going to be, if they haven't been already, pretty disappointed when they find out they have a pontiac instead of a ferrari XD
jc8367

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2015 05:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jc8367Send a Private Message to jc8367Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Horrible
Fiero Vampire

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2015 05:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero VampireSend a Private Message to Fiero VampireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Most stolen cars are found within a few days to a week, unfortunately who know in what condition, I had a car stolen and the thief's did more damage trying to break into the trunk and ripping out the stereo and speakers, they went as far as ramming the rear of the car into a pole to try to get it into it, sadly nothing of value was even in there. But it would be a good idea to get the vin number posted so other member will know if they come across it. Quick question does Mera body panels have any serial numbers on them although I doubt any smart thief would leave them on if they did.
8bit88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2015 11:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 8bit88Send a Private Message to 8bit88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I can just imagine someone on a Ferrari forum somewhere frantically trying to get rid of a "Dirt Cheap 308GTS" only to find out that they picked the wrong car.
PFF
System Bot
tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2015 11:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero Vampire:

Most stolen cars are found within a few days to a week, unfortunately who know in what condition, I had a car stolen and the thief's did more damage trying to break into the trunk and ripping out the stereo and speakers, they went as far as ramming the rear of the car into a pole to try to get it into it, sadly nothing of value was even in there. But it would be a good idea to get the vin number posted so other member will know if they come across it. Quick question does Mera body panels have any serial numbers on them although I doubt any smart thief would leave them on if they did.

Is there such a thing as a "smart" thief?
Fiero Vampire

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2015 01:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero VampireSend a Private Message to Fiero VampireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tebailey:

Is there such a thing as a "smart" thief?

Yea Congressman, Stock Brokers and nonprofit CEOs.
TXOPIE

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2015 02:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm on the ground ROLLING...so TRUE!
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2015 05:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Bankers.......Insurance companies.....(Flo and the gekko, discount double-take)

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 01-08-2015).]

TheDigitalAlchemist

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2015 05:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hope he gets his car back.
kevin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2015 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kevinSend a Private Message to kevinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Grrrrrr!!!
A thought, I may get ahold of the Ferrari club of America. I know they probably have some disdain of the Mera. However, they can spread the word on there end of a stolen "Ferrari". You never know....?

kevin

p.s. Were the employees questioned? Were the keys used to start it, or was it hot wired?

p.s. ll, Hello there Rsvl-Rider

[This message has been edited by kevin (edited 01-08-2015).]

Rsvl-Rider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2015 09:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rsvl-RiderSend a Private Message to Rsvl-RiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by kevin:

Grrrrrr!!!
A thought, I may get ahold of the Ferrari club of America. I know they probably have some disdain of the Mera. However, they can spread the word on there end of a stolen "Ferrari". You never know....?

kevin

p.s. Were the employees questioned? Were the keys used to start it, or was it hot wired?

p.s. ll, Hello there Rsvl-Rider

I think they way it happened was he left the car there. Maybe for a wash and detail, something that might take a while. When he returned it was gone. I don't know if that makes the car wash responsible but if it happened that way then it was under their care and control and that should be covered under the "garage keepers" provisions of their policy. I think he mentioned the car itself was uninsured.

Could be that someone thought he was really stealing a Ferrari. Or might have just been looking for a joyride. In either case it might be found abandoned somewhere. A real Ferrari would already be in a container shipping out to someplace where the ownership would never be questioned.

It could be stripped for parts. Don't think that would happen with the Mera since so few were ever produced and so the market for parts would be very small and could potentially expose them to identification. Still. I think there's plenty of non-Mera specific parts that could be stripped and sold so who knows?

Hi Kevin!

[This message has been edited by Rsvl-Rider (edited 01-08-2015).]

thesameguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2015 06:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thesameguySend a Private Message to thesameguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Definitely the responsibility of the car wash. If they took the keys and it was understood the owner would come back for them later, they're responsible until the owner gets those keys back. Sucks for all parties.
thesameguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2015 05:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thesameguySend a Private Message to thesameguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think I am parked behind it. I called chp

[This message has been edited by thesameguy (edited 01-11-2015).]

cshults

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2015 05:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cshultsSend a Private Message to cshultsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ha! That would be pretty awesome if you found it..Where did you spot it?
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2015 06:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by thesameguy:

I think I am parked behind it.

Is it in one piece?
thesameguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2015 06:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thesameguySend a Private Message to thesameguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It is definitely the car. Found the owners number in the CL post. I guess CHP found it or something, as they are literally on the way to pick it up now. They are just a mile or two away. It is on a seedy street across from a strip club. 5800 Auburn Blvd in Citrus Heights if you want to google it.
cshults

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2015 06:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cshultsSend a Private Message to cshultsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Glad it had been found, just hope the perp is found and prosecuted!
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2015 06:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
And the Fiero community comes through. I'll be interested in the rest of the story.
Rsvl-Rider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2015 06:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rsvl-RiderSend a Private Message to Rsvl-RiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
AWESOME! Rex will be jumping for joy! I'm sure he's been already been notified I'll give him a call tomorrow.

Citrus Heights is just south of me. It was stolen in Sacramento. I can't believe it was found with 20 miles from me.
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2015 08:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cshults:

Glad it had been found, just hope the perp is found and prosecuted!

Good luck with that. I hope Rex's car is in good condition.
thesameguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2015 01:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for thesameguySend a Private Message to thesameguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looked fine to me. I think the t-tops were gone, but hard to say whether they were on when it was stolen. Didn't appear to have any body damage, and they were jumping it to get it started.

I was leaving Harbor Freight and headed towards Lowes to pick up some plywood when it caught my eye. I drove about a half a block then commented to my gf "I think that is a stolen car." We turned around and pulled up behind it and I looked up the ad on CL to compare pictures. We were out front of an military surplus shop on a less than great street, so I started to wonder about the nature of the person who stole it. We didn't get out of the Suburban, I just called CHP and then the owner.

Rex suggested it wasn't staying charged, so maybe whoever stole it didn't get far and then ditched it. Crazily, where it was is like a mile from local PD and maybe four from CHP. Regardless, the owner has it back and all is well.
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2015 01:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Awesome! Hope it's not damaged.

I saw a white 308 earlier, and made sure it wasn't a Mera.
Rsvl-Rider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2015 01:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rsvl-RiderSend a Private Message to Rsvl-RiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Looked fine to me. I think the t-tops were gone, but hard to say whether they were on when it was stolen. Didn't appear to have any body damage, and they were jumping it to get it started.

I was leaving Harbor Freight and headed towards Lowes to pick up some plywood when it caught my eye. I drove about a half a block then commented to my gf "I think that is a stolen car." We turned around and pulled up behind it and I looked up the ad on CL to compare pictures. We were out front of an military surplus shop on a less than great street, so I started to wonder about the nature of the person who stole it. We didn't get out of the Suburban, I just called CHP and then the owner.

Rex suggested it wasn't staying charged, so maybe whoever stole it didn't get far and then ditched it. Crazily, where it was is like a mile from local PD and maybe four from CHP. Regardless, the owner has it back and all is well.

Great job SameGuy! That was my best hope when I posted the message but I never really thought it could end so well. Thanks!
Taijiguy

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 244
Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2015 09:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TaijiguySend a Private Message to TaijiguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is the coolest story I'll read all week

Edit-
I can't help but think that Cliff must get a real surge of pride knowing he's put together a forum as interactive as this one. There has been SO MUCH good that's come from this forum, and it's all because of the people. But if it weren't for Cliff we wouldn't all be here as a collective. It's got to be a good feeling.

[This message has been edited by Taijiguy (edited 01-11-2015).]

PFF
System Bot
PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2015 05:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Looked fine to me. I think the t-tops were gone, but hard to say whether they were on when it was stolen.

If he needs T-tops, tell him to contact me. I have a set in excellent condition.
steve308

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2015 03:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just googled the street view. I'd bet that part of town sounds like Fallujah when the sun goes down. Glad the Mera is back with it's owner
johnt671

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2015 04:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnt671Send a Private Message to johnt671Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice to see this turned out this way.
no2pencil

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2015 06:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for no2pencilSend a Private Message to no2pencilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow, nice job!!!
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2015 03:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any updates on this?

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock