Roof panel/windshield question by Quad Raider
Started on: 12-29-2014 05:15 PM
Replies: 4 (537 views)
Last post by: Luke on 01-02-2015 11:46 PM
Quad Raider

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2014 05:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad RaiderSend a Private Message to Quad RaiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Anyone care to share photos of how the roof/A pillars fit next to the windshield. I'm having trouble as I swap a sunroof onto my '87 base coupe. I cracked the A pillars when I removed the sunroof panel from the salvage-yard car. I used fiberglass to repair them but the roof was off the car at the time. Now the A pillars and the front section don't want to lie down and since it's been months since I removed both roofs I don't remember how they fit.

I have wax paper between the roof and the sealant because I want to paint the roof before installing it permanently. If I press down on the A pillars they still sit about a quarter-inch higher than the windshield. Seems kind of high.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Quad Raider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2014 05:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad RaiderSend a Private Message to Quad RaiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you don't have photos would you mind taking a look at your Fiero and comparing it to my photos?
rogergarrison

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2014 05:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You should have dry fitted the roof and windshield on the car before glassing anything to insure it was all aligned. I dont see fixing it without cutting it apart and starting over myself. The wax paper is a good idea while your laying the matt up so you can easily remove it after its fit. Looks like to get the pillars mounted right put pressure on the center and pushed it up.

As you did it, it would be like me repairing a wrecked fender off the car, painting it and putting it on....and expecting everything to be lined up correctly.

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 12-30-2014).]

Quad Raider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2014 08:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad RaiderSend a Private Message to Quad RaiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, Roger. I ended up cutting it apart today. It never occurred to me that it would be out of alignment because the A pillars were cracked, not completely broken. I was hesitant to put the roof on the car because I'd had so much trouble getting both of them off the respective cars. I didn't think of using wax paper until now.

I think it would have fit once I took out the wax paper and made good contact with the sealant, but as I approach the 4-year mark of this engine-swap/restoration why not take a couple more days and make it perfect?
Luke

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2015 11:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LukeClick Here to visit Luke's HomePageSend a Private Message to LukeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you have taken that long... do yourself a favour and get a roof panel that isn't cracked at the pillars. I have two cars that had roof conversions by previous owners that had the roof panel pillars cut and worked on and both cracked very noticeably with time. I think the roof panel and especially those pillars flex quite a bit.

I picked up a good panel and I am replacing it. I would hate to see you put a nice paint job on it only to have cracked pillars within a season.

It's also good to install the roof panel on a nice hot day, the butyl tape (black goop) will be more pliable and the panel will seat more easily/ more flush.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock