Stupid question about bumper pads by Quad Raider
Started on: 12-23-2014 08:28 PM
Replies: 13 (585 views)
Last post by: Quad Raider on 12-29-2014 07:40 PM
Quad Raider

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2014 08:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad RaiderSend a Private Message to Quad RaiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What years were the bumper pads offered? I thought they were just '84-'86. Is that right or were they available from the factory in '87 and '88, too?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2014 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just 84 thru 86.
87 and 88 came with aero bodies or the "Formula" front and rear bumper covers.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 12-23-2014).]

Quad Raider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2014 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad RaiderSend a Private Message to Quad RaiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you. That's what I thought, but then saw an ad for a bumper pad car that was either an '87 or an '88. Either the seller was wrong or the car had been altered.
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2014 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I find it amazing that some people don't even know what year their car is.
I have also heard of some that were titled incorrectly.
infinitewill

Feedback score:    (55)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2014 07:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by infinitewill (edited 03-19-2015).]

no2pencil

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2014 10:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for no2pencilSend a Private Message to no2pencilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by infinitewill:

I certainly would not call this a stupid question at all!

seconded.... I used to think all Fastbacks were the 88 model.
fierofool

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2014 10:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by no2pencil:

seconded.... I used to think all Fastbacks were the 88 model.

A brother who lives with us has been around my Fieros since at least 2000, and has been driving one for about 7 years. All notchbacks are 85's and all fastbacks are 86's, which is the year model of his GT. But even with my 21 years of Fiero ownership and involvement, until recently I was never sure if there was an 86 bumper pad model and I still don't know if there was an 85SE 2m4.

RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2014 10:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofool:

and I still don't know if there was an 85SE 2m4.

There was, it's a bumperpad car. There was an 85 bumerpad V6 SE, too.
fierofool

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2014 10:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:

There was an 85 bumerpad V6 SE, too.

I knew about that one and knew that the only 85 with ground effects was the GT. I owned two of those and our club president owns an SE 2m6 bumperpad.

Fiero84Freak

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2014 10:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If there's ever a question about a particular year a Fiero is, simply ask for the VIN. This isn't any sort of top secret information, and any seller that refuses to divulge that information is either mis-informed or incredibly ignorant.

The key is the 10th digit:

1984 - E
1985 - F
1986 - G
1987 - H
1988 - J (the letter "I" was skipped, as it looks too similar to the number "1")
1989 - would have been "K" for production Fieros had production proceeded.

Letters and numbers around it designate particular trim levels and engine options, and are for the most part similar throughout production. There are however some anomalies, as VINs often do not fully differentiate what a particular Fiero may be. For example, the 1984 Indy pace car replicas use the same VIN trim level designation as the '84 SE cars, making positive identification at a glance difficult and requiring decoding the RPO fender tag for positive identification.

I keep a little printed out piece of paper with me with all the VIN ID information (you can find it on Wiki) in case I come across a Fiero and question it's claimed appearance by the seller.

Most all of the body panels on every Fiero made swaps with little effort, other than sometimes requiring specific brackets or specific fender liners, etc. Regardless, it's relatively effortless to swap a panel out onto a year Fiero that it did not originally came with. Also with Fieros now well over 30 years old we'll likely run into many examples that have non-OEM equipped panels swapped out.

[This message has been edited by Fiero84Freak (edited 12-26-2014).]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2014 08:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
One more confusing thing, many people say GT when they mean fastback. The 85 GT was a notchback, so it sort of doesnt fit in referring to all fastbacks as GTs.
PFF
System Bot
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2014 10:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by infinitewill:
I certainly would not call this a stupid question at all!

Nor would I. I certainly hope that my comment didn't come across that way.
My last post was simply a comment regarding the occasional deceptive (or obviously incorrect) ad that I see.

infinitewill

Feedback score:    (55)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2014 07:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by infinitewill (edited 03-19-2015).]

Quad Raider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2014 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad RaiderSend a Private Message to Quad RaiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

Nor would I. I certainly hope that my comment didn't come across that way.
My last post was simply a comment regarding the occasional deceptive (or obviously incorrect) ad that I see.

Nothing wrong with your post. I appreciate the information.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock