Started on: 12-22-2014 06:09 PM
Replies: 60 (1718 views)
Last post by: Csjag on 01-01-2015 07:44 PM
ericjon262

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2014 08:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by thesameguy:

Sure, but that's a fairly low amp draw. Batteries in that size class typically offer about 2/3rds the ah (~16) rating of a full size car battery and about half the reserve capacity (~30m). Leaving your headlights on for an hour would kill the battery. If that's not a problem for you then save some weight - if it's a point of concern then maybe skip that upgrade. ;) Like I said, I run these small batteries in a couple cars and they work fine for me - but this is not an example of a free lunch. You are definitely giving up a margin of error with these batteries.

there's a real simple solution to that problem... don't leave your headlights on....
IP: Logged
Fiero Vampire

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2014 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero VampireSend a Private Message to Fiero VampireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Anyone know the BTU/CFM of the Fiero A/C? Trying to figure what a electric replacement would work.
ericjon262

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2014 01:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero Vampire:

Anyone know the BTU/CFM of the Fiero A/C? Trying to figure what a electric replacement would work.

I asked about this a while back on one of the other forums, nobody knew for sure.
dobey

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post12-27-2014 09:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero Vampire:

I'm not sure what the factory BTU output is, but it's mostly irrelevant when trying to find a replacement system. Instead, the required BTU value should be calculated from the air volume of the cabin. Given how small it is, you can get away with fairly low BTU output of the system. Anything over 1500 BTU should be more than sufficient to cool the Fiero. Given you live in Las Vegas though, you probably want to be somewhere in the 3500-6000 BTU range. The one 12V compressor I linked to on the ReVolt site, is just shy of 6000 BTU. It is over $500 and out of stock, though.

ericjon262

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2014 10:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
these two are about half the capacity to the one linked to earlier, I don't really like the "made in china" aspect of them though...

http://www.rigidauto.com/24...v-dc-compressor.html

http://www.rigidauto.com/83...v-dc-compressor.html

the "Sierra" doesn't list their country of origin, so I think it's fair to assume it's not made in USA, and probably china. there's more specs on their website:

http://www.masterflux.com/products/sierra/
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-27-2014 10:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ericjon262:
the "Sierra" doesn't list their country of origin, so I think it's fair to assume it's not made in USA, and probably china. there's more specs on their website:

http://www.masterflux.com/products/sierra/

Masterflux is a brand/subsidiary of Tecumseh: http://www.tecumseh.com/en/corporate/masterflux

They have plenty of US production facilities, having been around for 80 years. They have much better quality assurance than many of the unknown origin Chinese parts too. Even if some of the components or compressors do get made in China, I think it's safe to assume the higher quality standards will stay in place, as they do for brands like AC Delco, Timken, etc…

The Rigid Auto compressors though, I have no idea what level of standards they might adhere to (or claim to adhere to but not actually do so).

[This message has been edited by dobey (edited 12-27-2014).]

ericjon262

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2014 11:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

Masterflux is a brand/subsidiary of Tecumseh: http://www.tecumseh.com/en/corporate/masterflux

They have plenty of US production facilities, having been around for 80 years. They have much better quality assurance than many of the unknown origin Chinese parts too. Even if some of the components or compressors do get made in China, I think it's safe to assume the higher quality standards will stay in place, as they do for brands like AC Delco, Timken, etc…

The Rigid Auto compressors though, I have no idea what level of standards they might adhere to (or claim to adhere to but not actually do so).

I noticed the Tecumseh logo on one of their catalogs and was surprised, I didn't know they were still around. at this point, I would only consider the Masterflux, as it's only $100-150 more, and has a known brand attached to it.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-27-2014 11:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I noticed the Tecumseh logo on one of their catalogs and was surprised, I didn't know they were still around. at this point, I would only consider the Masterflux, as it's only $100-150 more, and has a known brand attached to it.

Looking at the Wikipedia entry for Tecumseh, it didn't seem like they actually have any plants in China either, only distributors there. The Masterflux compressors are probably built in either the US or Mexico, as a best guess based on where they seem to have plants.
ericjon262

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2014 11:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

Looking at the Wikipedia entry for Tecumseh, it didn't seem like they actually have any plants in China either, only distributors there. The Masterflux compressors are probably built in either the US or Mexico, as a best guess based on where they seem to have plants.

I'll shoot them an email.
thesameguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2014 01:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thesameguySend a Private Message to thesameguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

there's a real simple solution to that problem... don't leave your headlights on....

"Just don't make mistakes." I like your style.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-29-2014 01:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by thesameguy:

"Just don't make mistakes." I like your style.

Or for $50 install a DEI 545T and never worry about it again, as it can automatically turn headlights on, and turn them off with a delay.
PFF
System Bot
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2014 04:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I did an archive search and found that the entire ac system including hoses, compressor and condenser only weighs about 50 lbs. I was thinking of pulling mine to save weight but it doesn't seem worth it on a street car.
thesameguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2014 06:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thesameguySend a Private Message to thesameguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:Or for $50 install a DEI 545T and never worry about it again, as it can automatically turn headlights on, and turn them off with a delay.

Although I use numerous DEI products on various cars, I'm not sure I trust them any more than my memory. Definitely all lowest bidder and not built to last stuff. Which isn't to say there are options for better made stuff, realty - only that their stuff isn't exactly "OEM grade."
ericjon262

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2014 08:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Csjag:

I did an archive search and found that the entire ac system including hoses, compressor and condenser only weighs about 50 lbs. I was thinking of pulling mine to save weight but it doesn't seem worth it on a street car.

yes, but it's not necessarily just the weight, but the weight distribution. if you can mount the whole 50 pounds int he frunk, it'll bring you closer to 50/50.
ericjon262

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2014 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

ericjon262

3082 posts
Member since Jan 2010
we may need to keep looking though, looks like the 12V systems might not have enough ass to do the job...

originally posted by Series8217

http://www.revoltev.com/201...te-cooling-solution/

Edit:

I made a new thread for A/C stuff specifically.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/134359.html

Please post anything related to electric A/C there instead of here so this post can stay more on weight reduction instead of weight distribution.

[This message has been edited by ericjon262 (edited 12-29-2014).]

FIEROPHREK

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 137
Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2014 11:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROPHREKSend a Private Message to FIEROPHREKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
-Sheetmetal dash and autometer Ultra-Lite gauges.
-Drill lightning holes in center console skeleton support (The portion of steel just above the gas tank hump that runs front to back)

------------------

ARCHIES JUNK IS FASTER THAN SHAUNNA'S JUNK

12.3 is faster than a 13.2

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2014 03:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RayOtton:

I've dropped 70 lbs from my Fiero -

New cat -5lbs
Optima Battery -22 lbs
Spare tire -28 lbs
Grill under the trunk vents -1 lb
Cat heat shield -2 lbs
Me -12 lbs

Were these items weighed? The numbers seem optimistic?

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2014 03:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

43225 posts
Member since May 2007
Race weight thin fiberglass hood, fenders, door panels, decklid, facias, etc ...seem a wise way.
They dont serve a safety purpose it seems anyway.
Though they'll take skill to create something nice, and someone leaning on them could damage them.
The decklid seems it would be easiest to keep safe from someone damaging it, use a prop rod instead of torsion springs.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 12-30-2014).]

RayOtton

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2015 10:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RayOttonSend a Private Message to RayOttonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, 2.5 the pieces were weighed.

Sorry, there might be a misunderstanding of what the numbers represent.

The dash in front of the number is actually a minus sign signifying the weight reduction by removal, replacement or modification.

So the spare and heat shield were removed, the cat was replaced with a lighter one and the vent screens and I were modified.
qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2015 11:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey: The Fiero is what it is; an 80s baby built as a commuter car out of an experiment for a stamped steel space frame chassis.

Quote of the day. This is as far as the conversation needs to go.

RJ
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2015 07:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by qwikgta:

Quote of the day. This is as far as the conversation needs to go.

RJ

Aww, that's no fun
PFF
System Bot
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors