Less than $1000 for an 88 GT?! by 8bit88
Started on: 12-17-2014 02:11 PM
Replies: 25 (929 views)
Last post by: Patrick on 12-20-2014 07:12 PM
8bit88

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2014 02:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 8bit88Send a Private Message to 8bit88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
http://www.copart.com/c2/cl...nPage=SEARCH_RESULTS
I found this white 88 GT completely out of the blue in Hartford CT, not sure of the mechanical condition of the engine as damage is listed as "MECHANICAL", but even if there isn't an engine the trim and interior look pretty good, and the body only has 60k clocked! Looks to have rare factory glove box, 5 spd, and wood trim. Sails and light bar seem to be in working order as well with no obvious cracks. Any opinions? Would this be a perfect shell? Restoration project? Or a rare survivor that simply needs a clean up?

------------------
My Fieros (FM4)
'88 GT 600HP G8 engine, lowered, racing modifications
'88 GT Minor street modifications, Police paint scheme
'88 GT "Banana Boat" minor street modifications
'88 GT Silver, stock
'88 GT Red, Body Kit, Racing modifications, orig. engine

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
zzzhuh

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2014 02:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zzzhuhSend a Private Message to zzzhuhEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For less than $1000, I would go and atleast check the car out. The interior looks really nice, but the wood panels are part of a kit you can buy off TFS. The glovebox looks similar to the ones "TXGOOD" makes. Here is his thread:
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/060828.html

The car looks dirty but that isn't the big issue, I would check under the car for rust.

I did get to drive an 88 Formula and I'll tell you what, the Getrag 5 speeds are very smooth. The only thing I would change is the shifter being too high.

Edit: Just noticed you had 5,000,000 88GT's, im assuming you would know the getrag

[This message has been edited by zzzhuh (edited 12-17-2014).]

8bit88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2014 02:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 8bit88Send a Private Message to 8bit88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sadly, the car is way too out of my way for it to be financially acceptable to make a trip just to look at the car. Just trying to pass on the info in case someone else was looking for a neat project. I do love a good Getrag, they are pretty smooth, not quite racing gearing, but really nice for everyday driving.
Irrationable

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2014 02:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IrrationableSend a Private Message to IrrationableEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's not unheard of.
I paid even less for a solid 88 GT with only 80k on it. The prior owner had been relocated to North Dakota on short notice and didn't have the time to get the car running again (he had spun a bearing) before his new job started, so he posted it on craigslist at a "priced to move!" selling point. If the seller needs the car gone fast or just wants it gone, you can get yourself quite a deal.

------------------
"The Twins"
'87 GT 3.4 pushrod daily driver
'88 GT 3.4 DOHC swap in progress

dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post12-17-2014 03:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks like it's been sitting under a pine tree for 20 years.
8bit88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2014 04:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 8bit88Send a Private Message to 8bit88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Probably, though I've seen much worse. And a good scrub ought to fix that, and probably uncover a whole heap of problems hidden by the grime.
88FieroGT TTops

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2014 04:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88FieroGT TTopsSend a Private Message to 88FieroGT TTopsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
is that algae on the car?
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-17-2014 04:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by zzzhuh:
Edit: Just noticed you had 5,000,000 88GT's, im assuming you would know the getrag

If you're talking about his signature, it does say they are all Forza cars. They are virtual cars.
johnyrottin

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2014 07:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would clean that thing completely up and drop another V6 right into it. That way you can work out any bugs in it while enjoying the drive! Later: 3800SC!!!
8bit88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2014 08:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 8bit88Send a Private Message to 8bit88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I would clean that thing completely up and drop another V6 right into it. That way you can work out any bugs in it while enjoying the drive! Later: 3800SC!!!

Exactly! Or if I was feeling really reckless try cramming an LS swap in, making it the envy of the neighbourhood, and make the Challenger R/T at my high school parking lot cringe. But on the other hand it would be a real shame to resto-mod of sorts a survivor such as that, 60k original miles would be a shame to waste on such a survivor.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2014 09:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Judging from the location of the foam in the first image, I suspect the heater core is leaking. However, that in itself is not a major issue.
PFF
System Bot
8bit88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2014 07:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 8bit88Send a Private Message to 8bit88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm not entirely sure that is foam, could be snow, it looks like its location is in the middle of a thaw. Though a heater core is an easy mechanical fix, I suspect that it goes beyond that as it seems to be missing on of the decklid vents, that makes me suspect something serious with the engine (if it has one).
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2014 09:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 8bit88:

I'm not entirely sure that is foam, could be snow, it looks like its location is in the middle of a thaw.

Patrick is referring to that green thing on the passenger side floor. That is where the coolant goes when you have a heater core leak.
engine man

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2014 11:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i wish i could get it even if the engine is bad i have a good engine with about that same mileage and ran good

[This message has been edited by engine man (edited 12-18-2014).]

Notorio

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2014 12:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotorioSend a Private Message to NotorioEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for posting this. Now I know about this interesting Auction site ...
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2014 02:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

Patrick is referring to that green thing on the passenger side floor. That is where the coolant goes when you have a heater core leak.

Yes, that's exactly what I was referring to.

johnyrottin

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2014 02:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What a coincidence...I will be 20 minutes away from the auction on that day.
8bit88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2014 02:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 8bit88Send a Private Message to 8bit88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good luck, if its not rotten out i'm sure we'd all like to see you save it.
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2014 05:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Johny, if you look at this, let us know what it looks like.
nickwstp

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2014 01:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nickwstpSend a Private Message to nickwstpEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That foam thing doesn't look like anything except a back pillow for an older person... (to me at least)

[This message has been edited by nickwstp (edited 12-20-2014).]

fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2014 07:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bidding is at $450 - it has a "Buy it Now" of $850 on it.

Worth it just for the parts. Someone would give you $100 just for the glovebox.

------------------
Calgary time/temp

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT Click me
Super Duty 4 Indy #163 Click me

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 12-20-2014).]

PFF
System Bot
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-20-2014 10:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by nickwstp:

That foam thing doesn't look like anything except a back pillow for an older person...

It's just foam. But given the coloring of it in the photo, and the position it's sitting in, it could have soaked up coolant from a heater core leak. That is what Patrick was suggesting.
8bit88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2014 04:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 8bit88Send a Private Message to 8bit88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll just collect my finder's fee now if that's alright. $50 sounds 'bout right and maybe express mail me the shift knob, I've been dying to replace the one on my Logitech G27.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2014 06:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

...the position it's sitting in, it could have soaked up coolant from a heater core leak. That is what Patrick was suggesting.

Correct. And under that foam is something large that looks absorbent as well.

Of course we don't know for sure, but it certainly seems possible that those referred to items were placed in that particular spot due to a leaking heater core.
engine man

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2014 07:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i think it is gone it is not showing up when you search there site
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2014 07:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by engine man:

i think it is gone it is not showing up when you search there site

It's probably been snapped up.

Hopefully the new owner gives us a report on the condition of the heater core.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock