Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Change color of the heater / AC control's lights?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Change color of the heater / AC control's lights? by 2.5
Started on: 12-08-2014 05:01 PM
Replies: 16 (685 views)
Last post by: 2.5 on 12-17-2014 08:39 AM

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2014 05:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I see there is one bulb to light the heater / ac controls but I'm not sure how it gets its red/orange color, is there a film or painted piece inside that the light reflects off of? I can put different color bulbs in but the text still lights up pretty much orange.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2014 05:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The film inside the cover is colored.. changing the bulb wont change the color
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2014 09:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The orange color is right in the overlay on the back of the controls:

I purchased the overlays from SpeedHut to change the lettering colors and such in my car. That still left the indicator showing what button was pressed being orange. I was able to slip a blue gel in between the layers if the housing and the light diffuser, so the button that is pressed in, now shows up as blue.

[This message has been edited by JohnWPB (edited 12-08-2014).]

mmeyer86gt/gtp

Feedback score:    (161)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 73
Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2014 10:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mmeyer86gt/gtpSend a Private Message to mmeyer86gt/gtpEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
get buttons from an 84 to go away from grey and black to all black. and take the rubber off of the knob and paint the little white strip blue for added effect.
JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2014 11:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mmeyer86gt/gtp:

get buttons from an 84 to go away from grey and black to all black. and take the rubber off of the knob and paint the little white strip blue for added effect.

That's a good idea! I will probably have to do that, as it is one of those little things, that just finishes it off.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2014 01:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JohnWPB:

The orange color is right in the overlay on the back of the controls:

I purchased the overlays from SpeedHut to change the lettering colors and such in my car. That still left the indicator showing what button was pressed being orange. I was able to slip a blue gel in between the layers if the housing and the light diffuser, so the button that is pressed in, now shows up as blue.

Thanks could you go into more detail on what you did? So did you replace the original face under the new decal, or reuse it somehow? Could just I wet sand the orange color off the back? Then the color of the LED would show thru right? Did you use a heat gun to pop that face off?

*Edit, oh wait, so there is a decal on the back that would need replaced..
This is my first time getting into this area and I didnt really get how it was put together.
All I saw at Speedhut was a white face decal for the front?

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 12-09-2014).]

JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2014 03:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm on the road now. I will post more details tonight.
GODFATHER

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2014 07:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GODFATHERSend a Private Message to GODFATHEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Please do. My eyes aren't as good as they use to be and the orange seems dull. I would like to do either white or the blue you have. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2014 07:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow, John! Your controls look sharp!
Shho13

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2014 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Shho13Send a Private Message to Shho13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey man!

I got the Speed Hut gauge overlays a few months ago, they told me they were stopping production of them, so if you are going to order them, get them before they run out of stock! The whole gauge face now is back lit instead of the numbers, or at least that is what they sent me. They look like this in my car:

I took the factory A/C faceplate off, its just glued on. It ripped, but it didnt matter all that much because I got the new overlay anyways to cover it. The reason why the color is red is because there is a red dye that is in place where the bulb shines through to diffuse the light. I removed the piece and took a slightly bigger drill bit and drilled the dyed section out. My light is now a generic bulb color. Ill order a blue light bulb to replace it eventually!

------------------
"Discord"
Red 1988 GT under restoration!

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2014 08:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Shho13:

The reason why the color is red is because there is a red dye that is in place where the bulb shines through to diffuse the light. I removed the piece and took a slightly bigger drill bit and drilled the dyed section out. My light is now a generic bulb color. Ill order a blue light bulb to replace it eventually!

Drilled the dyed section out? Interesting. I want to remove teh dyed part and hopefully reuse the same faceplate, or another stock one to keep it looking stock when not lit.
PFF
System Bot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2014 11:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Hey if you get time your input is still welcomed

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 12-12-2014).]

IROCTAFIERO

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2014 02:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IROCTAFIEROSend a Private Message to IROCTAFIEROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I used a qtip and alcohol to remove the orange/red on mine No pics of it lit up, car is undergoing swap from Series 1 SC to Series 3 SC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2014 04:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IROCTAFIERO:
I used a qtip and alcohol to remove the orange/red on mine No pics of it lit up, car is undergoing swap from Series 1 SC to Series 3 SC

Nice I was hoping for something that easy!
JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2014 04:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I tried the same thing that I used on my gauge needles, gas. I let it sit for a half hour, and the orange still would not come off. I used fine sandpaper, and it looked like I was getting somewhere...........

till I turned it over The front does not appear to have any black on it whatsoever, and the entire faceplate is made from clear plastic.

I was hoping this was going to work and I was just going to send it to you, as I removed it from my controls, and replaced it with the SpeedHut overlay.

[This message has been edited by JohnWPB (edited 12-12-2014).]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2014 08:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I was hoping this was going to work and I was just going to send it to you, as I removed it from my controls, and replaced it with the SpeedHut overlay.

Thanks for the thought!

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2014 08:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

43224 posts
Member since May 2007

Originally posted by IROCTAFIERO:

SO rubbing alcohol and a qtip, no problem with it removing the black...you still haved crisp lettering?

Also removing the faceplate would it be wise to heat it up wioth a heat gun?

Thanks

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock