Started on: 12-07-2014 10:35 AM
Replies: 10 (307 views)
Last post by: Patrick on 12-09-2014 03:53 PM
Bloozberry

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2014 10:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PIP is acting up... photos added recently all appear as little black and white X's.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Stubby79

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2014 01:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Stubby79Send a Private Message to Stubby79Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I gave up on it. My uploads haven't worked properly in, oh, a couple of years. I sometimes forget and try again, only to be reminded. Too bad, worked like a charm before...
ericjon262

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2014 01:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I see complaints about PIP all the time, I just stick to photobucket, been working fine for years.
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2014 02:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ericjon262:

I see complaints about PIP all the time, I just stick to photobucket, been working fine for years.

Photobucket requires care and feeding to keep it working though. Pictures I uploaded there years ago are just red x's because I haven't logged in there for a while.
tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2014 02:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I did manage a couple of times to get pics to post, but for the time and effort it took I just gave up and don't post pics anymore.
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2014 04:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PIP is back up and running. For what it's worth, I won't use anything except PIP for the long term viability of the forum.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2014 08:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I see complaints about PIP all the time...

Yeah, we hear about plane crashes "all the time" as well. Just keep in mind we don't hear about the thousands upon thousands of successful flights.

PIP itself has issues very infrequently. Problems are usually due to individual member's own firewall etc.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 12-07-2014).]

JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2014 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Here is a very good example of what happens when you use a third party hosting service for images

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2014 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JohnWPB:
Here is a very good example of what happens when you use a third party hosting service for images

x hundreds of threads here full dead images from photo sites and other places...

Pictures dead because owner moved/deleted picture, didn't logged in, etc.
Photo and other Sites sold and killed by new owner, out of business or bankrupt. Many links here had GeoCities etc all now dead. Example: Better flowing GM heads for the 2.5 write-up w/ dead images
So a new page w/ about same info but Anatomy of a Better Duke Head images could die if gafieroclub.org is gone. Many clubs have gone over the years... Remember FOCOA?

And Please don't use PIP for posting whatever bull crap in TOT. The Server doesn't need the bandwidth or storage. Bandwidth = Money to Cliff and/or Service. Bandwidth counts in two way... Bit per Sec and Total.
BPS is how big the "pipe" is at the server/service. Many services limit BPS per Connection for this reason so more people can use the service.
Total is Total download/upload per X. X could be day, week, month, etc, like Verizon selling 10gb per month.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2014 03:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I guess 'infrequently' is a relative term. I see a new thread about PIP problems at least a few times a month. I use Picturetrail myself and have for many years. Yes when I dont want the pic available anymore I move or delete it on purpose. If you wanted it, you should have saved it.

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2014 03:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

And Please don't use PIP for posting whatever bull crap in TOT.

Ogre, we're in complete agreement on the value of using PIP to post images here, but I've got to disagree with your quote above.

As silly as O/T often gets, I suspect it now currently draws more traffic to the site than all the tech forums combined at PFF. Those of us who use O/T don't want to find a series of red X's when we look up old threads. With the PIP file size limit being capped at 300 kb (which is not large), I doubt the relatively few images being posted in O/T are going to bog down the system.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 12-09-2014).]

PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock