86GT vs. 88 Formula. by zzzhuh
Started on: 11-26-2014 06:16 PM
Replies: 16 (553 views)
Last post by: zzzhuh on 11-27-2014 07:35 PM
zzzhuh

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2014 06:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zzzhuhSend a Private Message to zzzhuhEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As some of you may know, I recently got in an accident and found someone selling an 88 Formula. Link is here:
http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/4741654093.html

I got done test driving the car and made him an offer but he said he would wait and see what some other people offer him.

I did notice quiet a bit of differences between the two however, after driving both.

The Formula's Getrag 5 speed is 10X smoother and easier to operate over my muncie 4 speed. However, the 2.8L seems to have more 'pep' to it when using the 4 speed.

The GT seems to have a smoother ride? I figured the 88 would be smoother but to me, it seems more rough and didn't enjoy a rougher road. Maybe the shocks need replaced?

The Formula also seemed to steer easier. Maybe im use to it, but the formula just turned better over all. It even felt quiet a bit lighter as well!

If I do purchase the car (should be about a week before he get's back to me) I will post some images of the car.

In the meantime, I'd like to hear your opinions on the ride of one fiero compared to another. Mainly, if what I mentioned sounds right, or if im wrong.

------------------
Every fiero has a story, It's our job to keep that story alive.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
thesameguy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2014 06:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thesameguySend a Private Message to thesameguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not sure you can compare one 25 year old car against another. Years of upgrades, maintenance, or neglect will have significant effects on your perceptions.
zzzhuh

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2014 07:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zzzhuhSend a Private Message to zzzhuhEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by thesameguy:

Not sure you can compare one 25 year old car against another. Years of upgrades, maintenance, or neglect will have significant effects on your perceptions.

Both have similar mileage, documentation, and both are stock.
onesexyfiero

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2014 07:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for onesexyfieroSend a Private Message to onesexyfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've owned both an 86 and 88 GT, plus driven several others.

As said, its hard to compare one to the other without condition having a lot more to do with it than original differences in the car. That said:

I don't think there's a big difference in "smoothness" or ease of operation between the 4 and 5 speeds. Likely clutch and/or shift cable condition. Certainly not 10x. The Muncie is a big quicker accelerating, but the much bigger differences between the two are in highway rpm and mileage. The longer first of the Muncie is kind of nice. Keep in mind a late 86 and an 87 would have the 5 speed as well.

In terms of ride, I wouldn't say the 88 is any more plush. It is noticeably more stable and less prone to bump steer. On a washboard dirt road a pre-88 car rides like a wagon. Shocks, struts and bushings will play a big role here, along with any modifications.

Steering is definitely easier in an 88, especially at low speed. Its a one handed operation in my 88; It was a 2 hander in the 86.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2014 08:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Formula is a much better car all around than the pre-88.
Any pre-88.
Stock for stock, in similar degree of maintenance, of course.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2014 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by zzzhuh:

Link is here

No it's not.
zzzhuh

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2014 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zzzhuhSend a Private Message to zzzhuhEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

No it's not.

It was up.. he took it down for some reason but I got some pictures, let me upload em in a sec
zzzhuh

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2014 10:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zzzhuhSend a Private Message to zzzhuhEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

zzzhuh

826 posts
Member since Jan 2014
Bad news... He sold the car

Here are some pictures:

Atleast I got to drive an 88 Formula. Now I want one
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2014 10:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A factory yellow formula, at that. Somewhat rare, I believe. It looked like a nice car, but I didn't see pics of the trouble spots.
zzzhuh

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2014 10:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zzzhuhSend a Private Message to zzzhuhEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tshark:

A factory yellow formula, at that. Somewhat rare, I believe. It looked like a nice car, but I didn't see pics of the trouble spots.

He had the windows tinted and had a nice after market radio. The shifter was weird, but it had all the stickers underneath both hoods. 120,XXX miles for $2500.
zzzhuh

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2014 10:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zzzhuhSend a Private Message to zzzhuhEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

zzzhuh

826 posts
Member since Jan 2014
Here are some pictures I got too.

PFF
System Bot
johnyrottin

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2014 08:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A yellow Formula at $2500...I would have pulled the trigger right there! Any problem could have been sorted out.
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2014 08:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A Colorado car? Maybe.

The decklid seems to need some adjustment.

OK, 'fess up. Who got it? Hopefully someone on here.
Fiero84Freak

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2014 03:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've owned an '86 GT and an '88 Formula - at the same time. The GT had double the mileage of my Formula; my Formula had 150,000 miles on it.

The biggest difference you usually find with anything 1988 Fiero is how much better it rides. In everyday drive-ability the Formula consistently felt more confident at everything. This was even with around $1,000 in chassis upgrades on my GT. It takes a lot of work to get anything pre-1988 Fiero to the quality of 1988 Fiero, but it can be done.

The Formula uses a combination of the base car trim and GT trim on the interior - a better way of interpreting it is you have what is essentially 1988 base model interior, with V6 GT gauges. Formulas were often optioned lower than their GT counterparts anyway, as that was kind of the point of the Formula; buying GT running gear but with a rather stripped down car.
zzzhuh

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2014 07:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zzzhuhSend a Private Message to zzzhuhEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tshark:

A Colorado car? Maybe.

The decklid seems to need some adjustment.

OK, 'fess up. Who got it? Hopefully someone on here.

Actually, the guy hasn't "physically" sold the car until saturday. I offered him $2700 if he would hold on to the car for me for 2 weeks. Hopefully he doesn't sell it. I might still have a chance but it's looking like he is gonna sell it.
zzzhuh

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2014 07:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zzzhuhSend a Private Message to zzzhuhEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

zzzhuh

826 posts
Member since Jan 2014

Originally posted by Fiero84Freak:

I've owned an '86 GT and an '88 Formula - at the same time. The GT had double the mileage of my Formula; my Formula had 150,000 miles on it.

The biggest difference you usually find with anything 1988 Fiero is how much better it rides. In everyday drive-ability the Formula consistently felt more confident at everything. This was even with around $1,000 in chassis upgrades on my GT. It takes a lot of work to get anything pre-1988 Fiero to the quality of 1988 Fiero, but it can be done.

The Formula uses a combination of the base car trim and GT trim on the interior - a better way of interpreting it is you have what is essentially 1988 base model interior, with V6 GT gauges. Formulas were often optioned lower than their GT counterparts anyway, as that was kind of the point of the Formula; buying GT running gear but with a rather stripped down car.

From what I understand, it's like any Fiero SE model after 85. Infact, the SE and the Formula got similar 0-60 and even quarter mile times.

This Formula definiately seemed confident about taking a corner, tho I didn't push on it too hard.
zzzhuh

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2014 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zzzhuhSend a Private Message to zzzhuhEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

zzzhuh

826 posts
Member since Jan 2014

Originally posted by johnyrottin:

A yellow Formula at $2500...I would have pulled the trigger right there! Any problem could have been sorted out.

Reading stuff like this makes me wish I would have bought it.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock