Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  What other cars feel like a fiero?? (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
What other cars feel like a fiero?? by americanmusc1e
Started on: 11-24-2014 03:42 PM
Replies: 41 (1163 views)
Last post by: jediperk on 11-29-2014 08:39 PM
americanmusc1e

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2014 03:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americanmusc1eSend a Private Message to americanmusc1eEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I currently don't have a fiero or the space to work on one

But I'm in need of a daily driver that is fairly cheap (under 10k), newer than 1998, something I don't have to work on, and something that I don't mind putting a lot of miles on.

I also REALLY miss that Fiero feel. The driving position and the feel of really being connected to the road. I briefly owned a 88 2M4 and currently own a 2006 HHR. I can't get over the driving feel difference.

What comes to mind in that range?? The miata isn't out, but I'd prefer a hard top.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
johnt671

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2014 03:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnt671Send a Private Message to johnt671Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
MR 2?
johnyrottin

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2014 04:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have never understood this one. I have daily driven my Indy for years and besides a few very minor problems it is super reliable. Maybe a Solstice would give you some of that feeling in a reliable fashion...

[This message has been edited by johnyrottin (edited 11-24-2014).]

Imnuts

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2014 04:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ImnutsSend a Private Message to ImnutsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't think there is to much out there that feels like a Fiero when driven. I drove a Solstice it felt award and cumbersome, I was glad to get back in my 88 Fiero. I did like the feel of the previous Camaro body style and they are reliable, but the looks leave something to be desired.
americanmusc1e

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2014 04:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americanmusc1eSend a Private Message to americanmusc1eEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

my buddy has a 06 solstice that I've driven and I didn't like it. The clutch was very weird and it was hard to see out of like a 4th gen f-body. Didn't feel nearly as connected to the road either.

My old 88 coupe would develop a weird no-start problem about every month that could only be fixed by replacing the ECM. I've since had trust issues daily driving a car with electronics that old. I love old cars. I DD'd my 70 chevy pickup all the way through highschool and college.

I also clock 40k miles a year. A lot of that is in traffic in Austin. I really don't feel like ruining a pretty fiero getting rear-ended. I'd rather be in something that isn't so irreplaceable
Kitskaboodle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2014 04:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
X1-9?
Kit
TXOPIE

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2014 04:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
WOW...that is actually a tough question!

I have owned and driven a lot of cars over the years...mean no disrespect to the answer above in regards to the MR2...they don't drive or handle the same even though they look similar, are two seaters, and both are mid-engine cradle based vehicles.

I am not sure that I have a good answer...the Fiero is unique! But I have always described it as an adult sized go-kart...that is what it has made me think of every time since the 1st time in August of 1987.
Fiero84Freak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2014 06:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by americanmusc1e:
But I'm in need of a daily driver that is fairly cheap (under 10k), newer than 1998, something I don't have to work on, and something that I don't mind putting a lot of miles on.

I also REALLY miss that Fiero feel. The driving position and the feel of really being connected to the road. I briefly owned a 88 2M4 and currently own a 2006 HHR. I can't get over the driving feel difference.

What comes to mind in that range?? The miata isn't out, but I'd prefer a hard top.

Literally the only two things out there that fit the criteria you mentioned in your first point would be a 3rd gen MR2/MR-S or a NB Miata; newer than 1998, under $10,000, and fairly reliable. Everything else is maybe either FWD sedans or RWD American muscle that's not beat into the ground. Maybe throw some German engineering in there too.

If you're willing to bump up the year of the car and pay more, an NC Miata or a BRZ/FR-S may be more inline to your second point of connecting the driver.
thesameguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2014 07:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thesameguySend a Private Message to thesameguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Car design has changed so dramatically in the last 30 years, I don't think what you want truly exists - at least not at a price point you're going to want to pay. The Fiero is an old-think car, with relatively little ground clearance, a very low seat, and a pretty low beltline. They haven't made cars like that in a long time because consumer tastes for what defines "comfortable seating" combined with Federal safety standards put big roadblocks in building such a car. Even the Skystice (had an '07 GXP) feels tall ("normal") compared to a Fiero and can't even approximate the visibility from the driver's seat. The Fiero is a heavy pig for its size, but it's *still* 300lbs lighter than a Kappa - and while you can throw in power to offset weight for performance, no amount of power to weight gives the same feel of actual lightness.

I think the closest you can get to the feel of a Fiero is going to be an Elise - the Elise is obviously a way better car, but doesn't feel unlike a 20 year newer Fiero might. Of course, one will set you back thirty large... I'd also look into an NB Miata - it's FR, but it's light, nimble, and not overly refined with a Fiero-esque power to weight ratio. Oddly, I'd take a spin in a Mk7 Celica which is, IMHO, one of the best cars ever made. 180hp (GTS), 6-speed manual, 2500lbs, and an old-school, big-windowed greenhouse. Loved mine, wish I'd never sold it (FWD notwithstanding).

The sad fact is, nothing from the '90s feels like an '80s car. I've had (and have) a lot of both, and I like me some '80s cars.
busa_powered

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2014 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for busa_poweredSend a Private Message to busa_poweredEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I currently don't have a fiero or the space to work on one

I also own an 08 Miata with a Power Retractable Hardtop. You could probably get an 06 for the price you are looking for.

It is lowered with H&R Springs, koni shocks, eibach front and rear sway bars, 17x9 Enkei rpf's, Nitto R1R 235 40 zr 18's, has a header, and an electric supercharger (not the ebay type lol) which adds 50 hp and 50 tq. ( http://www.phantomsuperchar...om/dyno-results.html )

Its a sweet ride, but I have always loved the Fiero GT, I am keeping it essentially stock except for lowering it for now.

Now if the motor blows a 3800 sc will go in

[This message has been edited by busa_powered (edited 11-24-2014).]

MulletproofMonk

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2014 07:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MulletproofMonkClick Here to visit MulletproofMonk's HomePageSend a Private Message to MulletproofMonkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Why not get another 88 Fiero with a 3800sc or 3800na? The 3800 would give you a newer motor, ODB2, etc. For the price you have, you should be able to get one that has the suspension rebuilt. Basically a newer car feel but in the Fiero... Plus insurance is cheaper. If you get hit, get another chassis and move everything over.

My daily driver over the Spring/Fall (and the Summer days that aren't above 85F) is a purple 87 GT with 3800na, 4T65E, Grand Am brakes, Firebird seats, newer stereo, etc. Insurance costs me $200 per year because it is my secondary car... One day I may finish my 3800sc Formula...

------------------
-Brian

My 87 GT Poly Suspension Upgrade (all pics) thread
Removing the roof panel
My HUD install thread
Modified stock air canister and base to 3.5 inch for 3800na

Isn't it strange that after a bombing, everyone blames the bomber, his upbringing, his environment, his culture, his mental state but … after a shooting, the problem is the gun?

PFF
System Bot
americanmusc1e

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2014 08:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americanmusc1eSend a Private Message to americanmusc1eEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MulletproofMonk:

Why not get another 88 Fiero with a 3800sc or 3800na? The 3800 would give you a newer motor, ODB2, etc. For the price you have, you should be able to get one that has the suspension rebuilt. Basically a newer car feel but in the Fiero... Plus insurance is cheaper. If you get hit, get another chassis and move everything over.

My daily driver over the Spring/Fall (and the Summer days that aren't above 85F) is a purple 87 GT with 3800na, 4T65E, Grand Am brakes, Firebird seats, newer stereo, etc. Insurance costs me $200 per year because it is my secondary car... One day I may finish my 3800sc Formula...

I'm hoping someone will hit me and I can pull the LE5 and 4t45e out of the HHR and put it in a fiero. It's a pretty dang nice engine/trans for N/A. and it moves the heavy tank of a wagon around pretty good.

That's all a pipe dream though because I'm already two years into a GIANT project. (1969 K20 pickup) and I'm having an issue finding space to work on it already. hopefully when I can move out of my apartment into a house in a few years I'll be able to build the fiero of my dreams.

Originally posted by thesameguy:

Car design has changed so dramatically in the last 30 years, I don't think what you want truly exists - at least not at a price point you're going to want to pay. The Fiero is an old-think car, with relatively little ground clearance, a very low seat, and a pretty low beltline. They haven't made cars like that in a long time because consumer tastes for what defines "comfortable seating" combined with Federal safety standards put big roadblocks in building such a car. Even the Skystice (had an '07 GXP) feels tall ("normal") compared to a Fiero and can't even approximate the visibility from the driver's seat. The Fiero is a heavy pig for its size, but it's *still* 300lbs lighter than a Kappa - and while you can throw in power to offset weight for performance, no amount of power to weight gives the same feel of actual lightness.

I think the closest you can get to the feel of a Fiero is going to be an Elise - the Elise is obviously a way better car, but doesn't feel unlike a 20 year newer Fiero might. Of course, one will set you back thirty large... I'd also look into an NB Miata - it's FR, but it's light, nimble, and not overly refined with a Fiero-esque power to weight ratio. Oddly, I'd take a spin in a Mk7 Celica which is, IMHO, one of the best cars ever made. 180hp (GTS), 6-speed manual, 2500lbs, and an old-school, big-windowed greenhouse. Loved mine, wish I'd never sold it (FWD notwithstanding).

The sad fact is, nothing from the '90s feels like an '80s car. I've had (and have) a lot of both, and I like me some '80s cars.

That's what I was thinking. Ever since I sold the fiero I haven't been able to clear my mind of the fun I had driving it. It had 90hp too!! But the connection to the road and the seating position was just amazing. It's funny because back in the day it was criticized for not having a real sports car suspension. I've been doing a lot of research and I finally had the brilliant idea to ask on here if they make any newer cars that might be as fun.
rcp builders

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2014 08:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rcp buildersSend a Private Message to rcp buildersEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A citation, chevette
jeffmary1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2014 09:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jeffmary1Send a Private Message to jeffmary1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had a Saturn Sky but it's not a winter car (deathtrap on even frosty roads) fun to drive good on gas looks great but severely underpowered. They do make a Redline Edition which is turbocharged that might make it much better horsepower wise. My opinion same car as the Solstice but much nicer looking.
Chelo Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2014 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chelo FieroClick Here to visit Chelo Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Chelo FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's an easy question. NONE.
americanmusc1e

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2014 10:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americanmusc1eSend a Private Message to americanmusc1eEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rcp builders:

A citation, chevette

Carcenomy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2014 12:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CarcenomyClick Here to visit Carcenomy's HomePageSend a Private Message to CarcenomyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Chelo Fiero:

That's an easy question. NONE.

QFT. I've never driven anything even remotely close to the feel of the Fiero. No MR2 variant even comes close. But I'll put it this way - if I had to buy another car that's as much fun as my Fiero? Mazda MX5... er... Miata. I've driven a bunch of NAs and a couple of NBs, and they're a hoot. It's not the same as the Fiero, but still has a charm and character unique to itself. The same cannot be said for anything else in the small two seater class.
Stubby79

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2014 05:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Stubby79Send a Private Message to Stubby79Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rcp builders:

A citation, chevette

Haha! My sinuses hurt from blowing cookie out through them that I was eating when reading your reply!
racingfortheson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2014 06:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for racingforthesonSend a Private Message to racingforthesonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a MX-5 (Miata) and a Fiero. The Miata is by far one of the most fun cars there is to drive. If you are able to spend up to $10k then you should be able to find one with a removable hardtop or even a retractable hardtop. I have had a LOT of cars from almost every major car builder and the MX-5 is SOOOO much fun to drive, and they make anything you would ever want for one.
Chelo Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2014 08:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chelo FieroClick Here to visit Chelo Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Chelo FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like the. MX-5 miata but the fit is tight! Haha! The Fiero have a special feel and driving position unique to it...
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post11-25-2014 09:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A Porsche Boxster or MR2 Spyder maybe. But really, nothing.

PFF
System Bot
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-25-2014 09:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Carcenomy:
QFT. I've never driven anything even remotely close to the feel of the Fiero. No MR2 variant even comes close. But I'll put it this way - if I had to buy another car that's as much fun as my Fiero? Mazda MX5... er... Miata. I've driven a bunch of NAs and a couple of NBs, and they're a hoot. It's not the same as the Fiero, but still has a charm and character unique to itself. The same cannot be said for anything else in the small two seater class.

I'd have to disagree a bit. Anything can be quite fun to drive, if you match driving style with the car's capabilities, and pick a car that suits your needs and what you think makes driving a car fun.

A Mazda Miata is fun to drive in a completely different way than a Fiero is. But so is a Honda del Sol, Chevy Cruze, Mini Cooper, or even a 5700 lbs 4x4 Chevy Avalanche. Suspension, gearing, RPM range, and power versus weight, make different cars fun in different ways, even when they aren't especially fast (I'm sure the police will love catching you doing 100 MPH on local roads though).
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2014 11:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Shifter Kart, although the Fiero steering feel is better.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2014 11:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:

Shifter Kart, although the Fiero steering feel is better.

A Fiero is the world's biggest Go Kart. If you want a more expensive one, maybe an Acura NSX would do the trick...
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2014 11:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My 86 that was under my Ferrari kit was my only car for 5+ years. I drove it every day year round. I put 100K miles on it in 7 years with very few minor problems. Of course it started out as a complete bumper to bumper rebuild mechanically first. It was the only super reliable GM car Ive owned out of hundreds of different cars in the last 50 years. I never gave it a second thought about leaving on a 2,000 mile road trip.
thesameguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2014 03:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thesameguySend a Private Message to thesameguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

That's what I was thinking. Ever since I sold the fiero I haven't been able to clear my mind of the fun I had driving it. It had 90hp too!! But the connection to the road and the seating position was just amazing. It's funny because back in the day it was criticized for not having a real sports car suspension. I've been doing a lot of research and I finally had the brilliant idea to ask on here if they make any newer cars that might be as fun.

What Dobey said to a large degree - most cars have the scenario in which they're fun, even if they feel different. But I really think a second gen Miata is 90% of what you're looking for.

As for the Fiero, I think it's so cool today because we give it a broad pass on things because it's old, and because like other cars from its time it offers a directness that we don't get in modern transportation. But if you had ten grand in the mid '80s and test drove a Fiero and then an MR2 or GTI or 200SX it might not have compared favorably. These days a Fiero isn't a crushing financial decision and it's fun and quirky - but if your only car was going to be it or a CRX, you might have chosen the CRX. I would have! But I don't have new car expectations of a 30 year old (!!!) Fiero, and it isn't my only car, and - IMHO most importantly - the Fiero benefits from all sorts of seemingly trivial things the last 30 years have brought us - brakes, tires, even fluids. The reason why I can enjoy a fleet of '80s cars (right now: Saab 900, Merkur XR4Ti, and the Fiero) is because all the bugs have been worked for a *long* time, and there are cheap upgrades to address old shortcomings. With fat tires, big brakes, adjustable shocks, and a 10 year newer engine my Fiero is a riot - but stock? Not quite so much. Personally, I really enjoy the fact that all manner of almost-great cars from eras gone by can be given a second chance to shine - that's why my weekends are the way they are.
americanmusc1e

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2014 01:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for americanmusc1eSend a Private Message to americanmusc1eEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think a miata may be the best thing in my category. Thanks all for your help!! I really love the fiero community, and I hope to get back into another fiero soon.

For all of you who love driving old cars.. I totally get it. I want to be back driving an old car soon enough.

Six months ago I moved and had to pick one project. And it just happened to be the truck that's been with me since I was 15. After it is stable again and I have a garage, I'll be finding another fiero.

Carcenomy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2014 05:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CarcenomyClick Here to visit Carcenomy's HomePageSend a Private Message to CarcenomyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

I'd have to disagree a bit. Anything can be quite fun to drive, if you match driving style with the car's capabilities, and pick a car that suits your needs and what you think makes driving a car fun.

A Mazda Miata is fun to drive in a completely different way than a Fiero is. But so is a Honda del Sol, Chevy Cruze, Mini Cooper, or even a 5700 lbs 4x4 Chevy Avalanche. Suspension, gearing, RPM range, and power versus weight, make different cars fun in different ways, even when they aren't especially fast (I'm sure the police will love catching you doing 100 MPH on local roads though).

You totally misinterpreted everything I just wrote. The question OP asked was what's cheap, newer than '98, doesn't need worked on, can have miles put on, bonus points for having the Fiero feel. The logical answer here would be a ZZW30 MR2. But it doesn't feel like a Fiero. Not even remotely. The MX5 is close, but has different dynamics. Yes all cars can be fun, but that doesn't mean they have any charm.
zzzhuh

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2014 03:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zzzhuhSend a Private Message to zzzhuhEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Like everyone has mentioned, the fiero really is a unique specimen that can't really be compared to anything. I've driven MR2's and they seem to be more "squirmy". Meaning they just seem to be to easy to push past it's limits. A car that seems 'close' is in a MINI Cooper.

I know, I know, I know, it seems odd for me to say that. BUT they advertise a "Legendary Go-Kart like steering." And I've actually gotten to drive one with a few more HP than stock. It was fun and seems to handle a track pretty well.

But im getting off track, a fiero really is unique and I wouldn't trade mine for anything.
fastblack

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2014 10:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fastblackSend a Private Message to fastblackEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's old but Honda CRX
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-28-2014 02:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Carcenomy:
You totally misinterpreted everything I just wrote. The question OP asked was what's cheap, newer than '98, doesn't need worked on, can have miles put on, bonus points for having the Fiero feel. The logical answer here would be a ZZW30 MR2. But it doesn't feel like a Fiero. Not even remotely. The MX5 is close, but has different dynamics. Yes all cars can be fun, but that doesn't mean they have any charm.

The MR2 Spyder is the only later model mid engine transverse layout car that you're probably going to get anywhere reasonably close to "cheap." Opel Speedster and the Lotus Elise/Exige/Evora won't come close to being cheap. Though, one can get a Porsche Boxster for a fairly decent price, though maintenance obviously won't be cheap on it either, and it's not transverse, but will feel fairly close to a Fiero.

I didn't misinterpret what you wrote at all. But the MX5 is nowhere close to feeling like a Fiero. It's small and sporty, and with the right engine can be pretty fast, sure. But there are also way too many changes in cars made after 1998, from the technology the Fiero was built around, to really say that anything would feel at all like a Fiero.

And I don't know what you mean by charm exactly there, but it's a totally subjective point to make. What is fun or might have charm to you, won't necessarily be fun or charming for anyone else.
PFF
System Bot
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-28-2014 02:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

dobey

11572 posts
Member since Sep 2001

Originally posted by zzzhuh:
Like everyone has mentioned, the fiero really is a unique specimen that can't really be compared to anything. I've driven MR2's and they seem to be more "squirmy". Meaning they just seem to be to easy to push past it's limits. A car that seems 'close' is in a MINI Cooper.

I know, I know, I know, it seems odd for me to say that. BUT they advertise a "Legendary Go-Kart like steering." And I've actually gotten to drive one with a few more HP than stock. It was fun and seems to handle a track pretty well.

But im getting off track, a fiero really is unique and I wouldn't trade mine for anything.

Having owned a couple of Mini Coopers over the course of about nine years, I can say they definitely are fun to drive, and handle very well, but they are nothing at all like driving a Fiero. Very few things even come close to the same feel of driving a Fiero, and the things that do come close, are pretty expensive. If you want something that's cheap, reliable, not a Fiero, and be fun to drive, you're going to have to find something that suits you best. No amount of people saying an MX5 or MR2 or anything else, comes close to feeling like a Fiero, is ever going to actually make them feel like a Fiero.

If you want the Fiero feel, buy another Fiero. If you want a cheap daily driver that's fun to drive, useful, easy to maintain, etc… buy a Civic Hatchback or Integra or similar; especially if you're going to rack up 40K miles per year on it. Can be fun to drive, and you can get 50MPG with the right trim and powertrain.
California Kid

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2014 06:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My Fiero doesn't feel like anything else out there !

------------------

Car History: //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/025670.html

johnyrottin

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2014 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A Mera!
zzzhuh

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2014 11:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zzzhuhSend a Private Message to zzzhuhEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Having owned a couple of Mini Coopers over the course of about nine years, I can say they definitely are fun to drive, and handle very well, but they are nothing at all like driving a Fiero. Very few things even come close to the same feel of driving a Fiero, and the things that do come close, are pretty expensive. If you want something that's cheap, reliable, not a Fiero, and be fun to drive, you're going to have to find something that suits you best. No amount of people saying an MX5 or MR2 or anything else, comes close to feeling like a Fiero, is ever going to actually make them feel like a Fiero.

If you want the Fiero feel, buy another Fiero. If you want a cheap daily driver that's fun to drive, useful, easy to maintain, etc… buy a Civic Hatchback or Integra or similar; especially if you're going to rack up 40K miles per year on it. Can be fun to drive, and you can get 50MPG with the right trim and powertrain.

jediperk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2014 04:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jediperkSend a Private Message to jediperkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nothing under $10K and newer than a 98 will drive and feel like a Fiero with reliability. If it's newer than 98 and under $10K its up there in mileage. Your best bet is to find a low mileage Fiero for $5-6k and put another grand or so into. Once you get the routine maintenance caught up a low mileage fiero will be reliable as a D/D. With a $10k budget you can even add some modern creature comforts like power steering or blue tooth radio...
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-29-2014 05:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jediperk:

Nothing under $10K and newer than a 98 will drive and feel like a Fiero with reliability. If it's newer than 98 and under $10K its up there in mileage. Your best bet is to find a low mileage Fiero for $5-6k and put another grand or so into. Once you get the routine maintenance caught up a low mileage fiero will be reliable as a D/D. With a $10k budget you can even add some modern creature comforts like power steering or blue tooth radio...

It doesn't mean it's got very high mileage if it's newer than 98 and under $10K. For about $10K or a bit less, there are a lot of nice cars you can buy. Even a decent E46 M3 can be had for $10K, with less than 100K miles on it. That's 300HP stock. Apparently everyone only wants to sell the SMG version though, and it had a few problems. Finding a proper manual transmission in one might be difficult or a little more expensive. Won't feel like a Fiero, but it's a nice luxury sport coupe for sure. Also, 100K miles on a car from 2003 is quite a bit different from 100K miles on a car from 1987.

But the whole point of the OP wanting something other than a Fiero for a daily is to avoid the possibility of having the Fiero be in an accident, and not accruing 40K miles every year on it. And if you're going to put 40K miles on a car every year, than up there in mileage is hardly a concern. Cheap, fun to drive, and excellent MPG are the best things for that. Heck, if you're credit's very good, just go buy a brand new Chevy Cruze with the turbo diesel, and get the GAP insurance. Lots of torque, reliable, 50 MPG, a warranty, and if it gets totalled the GAP will write it off and you can go get another one.
jediperk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2014 06:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jediperkSend a Private Message to jediperkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

It doesn't mean it's got very high mileage if it's newer than 98 and under $10K. For about $10K or a bit less, there are a lot of nice cars you can buy. Even a decent E46 M3 can be had for $10K, with less than 100K miles on it. That's 300HP stock. Apparently everyone only wants to sell the SMG version though, and it had a few problems. Finding a proper manual transmission in one might be difficult or a little more expensive. Won't feel like a Fiero, but it's a nice luxury sport coupe for sure. Also, 100K miles on a car from 2003 is quite a bit different from 100K miles on a car from 1987.

But the whole point of the OP wanting something other than a Fiero for a daily is to avoid the possibility of having the Fiero be in an accident, and not accruing 40K miles every year on it. And if you're going to put 40K miles on a car every year, than up there in mileage is hardly a concern. Cheap, fun to drive, and excellent MPG are the best things for that. Heck, if you're credit's very good, just go buy a brand new Chevy Cruze with the turbo diesel, and get the GAP insurance. Lots of torque, reliable, 50 MPG, a warranty, and if it gets totalled the GAP will write it off and you can go get another one.

I must of missed the part about avoiding an accident in the original post. If you find a decent E46 M3 for $10k with less than 100K it will be at 98k or so. And BMW's are expensive as hell to maintain even if you can do the labor yourself as the parts are $$$. No way you want a high mileage one of those. I like the Cruze idea though, but it will not drive like a Fiero.
nitroheadz28

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2014 06:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nitroheadz28Send a Private Message to nitroheadz28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The closest thing to me was my 95 Trans Am, but in comparison it felt generally more civilized and smooth in operation. However it felt like a lumbering beast when it came to low speed maneuvers. I suppose that reminded me of how the Fiero could feel without PS at lower speeds.

I've hooned a 99' Miata and while it was a BLAST, its very different. Overall its much better, the quality, operation, and capabilities.

I've never driven any MR2, but no other car I've been in comes close to the same feeling. Maybe my friend's 97 Jetta would if he deleted power steering and added 200lbs of weight in the back (Its got full suspension/ brakes, handles amazingly and the brakes are fantastic).

I love how analog and brute Fieros are, on the other hand they fit me like a glove in every way. They may not be the most capable, but definitely offer a high amount of smiles per gallon for the price. Though they're slow by today's standards, it feels like you're rocketing along even when you're just cruising. Its truly Pontiac Excitement.

I'm strictly talking about GT spec Fieros with the 5 speed. I really don't like the Dukes, and the SE versions with the slower rack suck IMO- they changed it from a sporty feeling 2 seater to minivan like responsiveness.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-29-2014 06:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jediperk:

I must of missed the part about avoiding an accident in the original post. If you find a decent E46 M3 for $10k with less than 100K it will be at 98k or so. And BMW's are expensive as hell to maintain even if you can do the labor yourself as the parts are $$$. No way you want a high mileage one of those. I like the Cruze idea though, but it will not drive like a Fiero.

The Cruze doesn't feel like a Fiero, but it is faster, gets better MPG, and handles better, than a stock Fiero.

And the miles don't really matter if it's been properly maintained. Especially on a late model car. Proper maintenance and you can get 500K miles out of one easily.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock