What's my car worth? by Fiervette
Started on: 11-21-2014 11:26 PM
Replies: 7 (384 views)
Last post by: rogergarrison on 11-24-2014 02:58 PM
Fiervette

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2014 11:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FiervetteSend a Private Message to FiervetteEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
With all of the discussion about Fiero prices, and taking a cue from the show on Velocity channel, I'll ask "What's my car worth?". I am just soliciting opinions about what fellow PFF members would think of the value of my ride. It is an 1986 GT with a 80k mile LS1 from a 2000 Corvette and zero mile F40 transmission from a G6. It was installed by me from an Archie kit. Car has 67k miles (about 3k since the swap), and I like to think it is in very good condition with nice paint and interior. It has 17" OZ rims, C5/C4 Vette brakes, S10 brake booster, and LED tail lights, among other upgrades. These pictures were taken before brake upgrade so ignore the tiny rusty rotors.

Here are Pics -

What do you think?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Old Lar

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2014 09:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
http://paulvargyas.com/Price%20Guide.htm

A start on value for stock Fieros. Who did the swap? A professionally built swap (V8 Archie) is done right and worth more.
jediperk

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2014 10:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jediperkSend a Private Message to jediperkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How much it's worth depends on if you are trying to insure it for a total loss or trying to sell it. I would not take less than $10k for it. It's all a matter of finding the right buyer and patience really if you are trying to sell it. If you are trying to insure it you will need to get it appraised. Best bet is to talk to the insurance company first though b/c they may require you to have it appraised by their appraiser...

It's a really nice ride though
johnyrottin

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2014 12:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How much is it worth...that will be all over the place. For purists the engine swap and rims (etc.) bring the price down, not up. For those wanting a swapped car the value should go up a bit but maybe not much. Then there are those that understand the work that goes behind a swap and there is value there. They tend to think a swapped car will be a bit more. So here you go as a shot in the dark:

Purist - $2,000
Swap Dabbler - $4,500
Enthusiast - $10,000

All just stabs in the dark.
Stubby79

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2014 02:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Stubby79Send a Private Message to Stubby79Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think you need to lower that bad boy!

Rottin's estimates seem about right. 10K or a bit more to someone who values what's been put in to it, who would have built it that way if they had the time and or money. To someone who it's just a fast car, half that.
Fiervette

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2014 02:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FiervetteSend a Private Message to FiervetteEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the inputs.

So, the prevailing opinion is about 10k, to the right buyer. That is about what I was thinking. I never see any LS powered Fieros for sale anywhere so it is hard to pin a value on it. I don't plan on selling it, and don't see this helping much with insurance. I have the same conundrum as recently discussed in another thread. I am over 25 (twice that) and keep it garaged. I haven't been involved in any accidents in over 20 years, and never had an at fault accident in 35 years. The problem is that I often drive it to work so the classic car insurance companies don't want to talk to me. I have regular coverage on it and just take my chances about the shortfall. I have over 20k spent on it, and I know I will never recoup that in any case. Cars are not an investment in most cases. My other 2 vehicles have depreciated well over 10k since I bought them. I just enjoy this car and realize it is just another expense.
Stubby79

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2014 03:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Stubby79Send a Private Message to Stubby79Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiervette:

Thanks for the inputs.

So, the prevailing opinion is about 10k, to the right buyer. That is about what I was thinking. I never see any LS powered Fieros for sale anywhere so it is hard to pin a value on it. I don't plan on selling it, and don't see this helping much with insurance. I have the same conundrum as recently discussed in another thread. I am over 25 (twice that) and keep it garaged. I haven't been involved in any accidents in over 20 years, and never had an at fault accident in 35 years. The problem is that I often drive it to work so the classic car insurance companies don't want to talk to me. I have regular coverage on it and just take my chances about the shortfall. I have over 20k spent on it, and I know I will never recoup that in any case. Cars are not an investment in most cases. My other 2 vehicles have depreciated well over 10k since I bought them. I just enjoy this car and realize it is just another expense.

I don't know about how your insurance companies work, but here, if you declare the value at $20k have receipts for that $20k, that's what they'll value it at.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2014 02:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just repeating myself. Any used car or modified car is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. To someone, yours might be worth $20K and to another $3000. If you sell it just throw out a price you consider realistic and see what bites. Base that on the knowledge you will NEVER recover what you spend on a car.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock