Converting a GT to a formula ? by formulaWA
Started on: 11-21-2014 12:47 AM
Replies: 9 (517 views)
Last post by: Gall757 on 11-24-2014 10:14 AM
formulaWA

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2014 12:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for formulaWASend a Private Message to formulaWAEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have been looking for a T top Formula for quite sometime with no success. Given the number made it is unlikely I will ever find one in good condition. I noticed there is a mint T Top GT on ebay right now that I thought I could buy and make it into a TTop formula. Are the Formula and GT front and back and sail panels interchangeable? That is can I take the GT parts off the one on ebay and bolt on a formula front and back and put the GT parts on the formula? I have a red formula that I could swap the panels on

Mint GT
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2014 01:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by formulaWA:

That is can I take the GT parts off the one on ebay and bolt on a formula front and back and put the GT parts on the formula?

It's a whole lot more involved than simply swapping the "front and back". The only body panel that's the same if I remember correctly is the hood. That's it. Everything else... rocker panels, wheel well liners, etc needs to be swapped over. Even the wiring harness for the rear lights is different.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 11-21-2014).]

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2014 06:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

It's a whole lot more involved than simply swapping the "front and back". The only body panel that's the same if I remember correctly is the hood. That's it. Everything else... rocker panels, wheel well liners, etc needs to be swapped over. Even the wiring harness for the rear lights is different.

This is pretty accurate. Of course the roof will stay in place, but yeah...

It could be done, though. It would take several days for someone who knew what they were doing.

To me it doesn't make a great deal of sense to do it. You'll end up with two "numbers don't match" un-original cars, and will kill any collector value that they may have had.
Sounds like this is not a priority to you, but it's the reality of the situation. Any potential buyers will be like

Having said all that...
I added a fastback clip to my Formula, but I didn't start out to make a GT clone. Just a fastback Formula.
I don't care anything about collector value. It's far from original.

Edit - The black rear trim pieces for the T-tops will have to come off in order to swap the rear body clip. Be very careful. They may be siliconed and riveted into place. They'll be easy to break and are made out of "unobtainium".

If it sounds like I'm trying to talk you out of this, that would be pretty accurate. But good luck, whatever you decide.

------------------
Raydar
88 Formula IMSA Fastback. 4.9, NVG T550

Praise the Lowered!

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 11-21-2014).]

jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2014 07:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

Edit - The black rear trim pieces for the T-tops will have to come off in order to swap the rear body clip. Be very careful. They may be siliconed and riveted into place. They'll be easy to break and are made out of "unobtainium".

I may have a set... FYI.

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2014 05:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Of course the roof will stay in place...

Seeing as how the whole point was to end up with a T-Top... but yeah, the roof stays.

Appears that we might've caused the OP to re-evaluate his plan.
jmbishop

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 169
Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2014 01:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

...... It would take several days for someone who knew what they were doing........

It's really not that bad, it could easily be done in a day. My first fastback swap was done in less than two hours while my friends watched. It helped that I disassembled the fastback and knew where all the small stuff went.

I say listen to the warnings about the t-top parts and go for it.
solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2014 10:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

This is pretty accurate. Of course the roof will stay in place, but yeah...

It could be done, though. It would take several days for someone who knew what they were doing.

To me it doesn't make a great deal of sense to do it. You'll end up with two "numbers don't match" un-original cars, and will kill any collector value that they may have had.
Sounds like this is not a priority to you, but it's the reality of the situation. Any potential buyers will be like

Having said all that...
I added a fastback clip to my Formula, but I didn't start out to make a GT clone. Just a fastback Formula.
I don't care anything about collector value. It's far from original.

If it sounds like I'm trying to talk you out of this, that would be pretty accurate. But good luck, whatever you decide.

Not to change the subject... BUT Raydar did you get a new rear spoiler?
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2014 11:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by solotwo:
Not to change the subject... BUT Raydar did you get a new rear spoiler?

The Fiero Warehouse whale tail. It's been on there since the car was painted in... 2006?
I do have something different, still in the box, however. Just have to get it all painted.
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2014 11:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow, that is a nice looking Fiero. I can not believe, only 2,500 miles on it, kept in the showroom, and the front jacking sticker is peeling that badly!

That is worse than the one on my 86 GT that had been ragged on and had 65,000 miles. Guess I should send them a note and let em know that I make a reproduction jacking instructions sticker LOL! (see signature for link )

------------------

High Quality Fiero Reproduction Stickers are Available in THIS THREAD IN THE MALL.

Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2014 10:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It would be much easier to find a mint T-top coupe and turn that into a Formula......

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock