What engine is this? by LornesGT
Started on: 11-11-2014 04:39 PM
Replies: 23 (707 views)
Last post by: thesameguy on 11-13-2014 12:55 AM
LornesGT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2014 04:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LornesGTSend a Private Message to LornesGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What engine and HP and any othe info that can be supplied?

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 257
Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2014 04:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That is Steven Snyder's fiero. 3.4 TDC with a modified intake. More details here:
http://steventsnyder.com/cars/1988-pontiac-fiero/
LornesGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2014 05:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LornesGTSend a Private Message to LornesGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I assume cam change and other stuff besides just the intake.
zzzhuh

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2014 05:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zzzhuhSend a Private Message to zzzhuhEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The 3.4DOHC engine (Also known as the LQ1) is a 60° V6 engine built from 91-97.

This engine made 200-210 hp (150-160 kW) at 5200 rpm and 215 lb·ft (292 N·m) of torque at 4000 rpm.
From 1994 to 1997, it used sequential port fuel injection, making 210 hp (157 kW) at 5200 rpm and
215 lb·ft (292 N·m) of torque at 4000 rpm.

Car's it was put in:

-1991–1994 Chevrolet Lumina Z34 and the Euro 3.4 sedan
-1991–1996 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme
-1991–1996 Pontiac Grand Prix
-1995–1997 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Z34
-1995–1997 Chevrolet Lumina LS
-1997 Chevrolet Lumina LTZ

Read more:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wik...%C2%B0_V6_engine#LQ1

------------------
Every fiero has a story, It's our job to keep that story alive.

jimbolaya

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2014 05:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by LornesGT:

What engine and HP and any othe info that can be supplied?

Jim

LornesGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2014 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LornesGTSend a Private Message to LornesGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So is there advantage of this 3.4 over the 3800NA? Probably has been asked several time. A forum member told me the 3800 is an easier install.
zzzhuh

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2014 09:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zzzhuhSend a Private Message to zzzhuhEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

So is there advantage of this 3.4 over the 3800NA? Probably has been asked several time. A forum member told me the 3800 is an easier install.

Advantages? Well, people like this engine because of the RPM range. You can go up to 7k before having to shift again. The 3.8N/A has similar HP/torque numbers as this engine. The 3.8SC engine however, has plenty of after market support and would cost about the same.

DOHC engines tend to all have the same issue, head gaskets. Remember, that layout means more parts are moving, thus the cost of repairs is going to increase.

I like to stick to OHV or SOHC because they are more reliable and have less parts moving. Just my .2 tho
ericjon262

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2014 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by zzzhuh:

DOHC engines tend to all have the same issue, head gaskets. Remember, that layout means more parts are moving, thus the cost of repairs is going to increase.

I like to stick to OHV or SOHC because they are more reliable and have less parts moving. Just my .2 tho

I have NEVER heard of LQ1's having head gasket issues. only complaints I hear are timing belts and oil pump drive o-rings.
ericjon262

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2014 10:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

ericjon262

3082 posts
Member since Jan 2010

I assume cam change and other stuff besides just the intake.

I know the engine is balanced and bluprinted, but IIRC, no cam change. with the stock intake put back on, this car passes California emissions.
LornesGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2014 11:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LornesGTSend a Private Message to LornesGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Have been googling this engine, this looks like the best one out there. Looks better than the 3800 IMHO but I guess the 3800 is more reliable. Then again there were a few engine fires with the 3800 also.
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post11-11-2014 11:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ericjon262:

I have NEVER heard of LQ1's having head gasket issues. only complaints I hear are timing belts and oil pump drive o-rings.

This. LQ1s are a pain because they're 60 degree V6 blocks with DOHC as an afterthought.

And they are big, top-heavy engines. They sound like they belong in the Fiero, but they are not fun to work on at all.
PFF
System Bot
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2014 08:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Had one of these in my Grand Prix. Great engine. Only issue I had was intake gasket. over 100K on it when I sold it.
tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2014 08:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have one in my car and LOVE it. 7000 RPM of DOHC noise is just right for the Fiero. That's why it was supposed to be the GT engine for the 1990 Fiero. The 1990 prototype has an early prototype version of this engine. After they cancelled the Fiero, the engine showed up in the 1991 W-bodies.

------------------
1986 SE Aero coupe.

3.4 DOHC swap is complete and running, now just have to finish the rest of the car...

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2014 10:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

DOHC engines tend to all have the same issue, head gaskets.

Where do you come up with this ?
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-12-2014 01:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tesmith66:
I have one in my car and LOVE it. 7000 RPM of DOHC noise is just right for the Fiero. That's why it was supposed to be the GT engine for the 1990 Fiero. The 1990 prototype has an early prototype version of this engine. After they cancelled the Fiero, the engine showed up in the 1991 W-bodies.

I think the engine in the prototype was actually a 3.1 or 3.2. Not sure what all other differences it might have had with the final 3.4 production engine.
zzzhuh

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2014 02:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zzzhuhSend a Private Message to zzzhuhEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

Where do you come up with this ?

Personal experience with DOHC engines such as the 4.6L Northstar engine.

I've also seen it happen on a 2.5L DOHC 97 Subaru as well.

As dobey said, the engine is top heavy and sucks to work on.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-12-2014 03:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Personal experience with DOHC engines such as the 4.6L Northstar engine.

I've also seen it happen on a 2.5L DOHC 97 Subaru as well.

As dobey said, the engine is top heavy and sucks to work on.

The Northstar didn't have gasket problems either. It had problems with the threads on the head bolts, which is a completely different issue, and which is also a solved problem with the tech bulletin GM put out on it.

And any engine can develop a head gasket issue, especially when you get up in the XXX,XXX mileage range.
zzzhuh

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2014 04:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zzzhuhSend a Private Message to zzzhuhEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

The Northstar didn't have gasket problems either. It had problems with the threads on the head bolts, which is a completely different issue, and which is also a solved problem with the tech bulletin GM put out on it.

And any engine can develop a head gasket issue, especially when you get up in the XXX,XXX mileage range.

Are you sure? Go on craigslist and look up any cadillac that had the 4.6L Northstar.... You know what you'll find?

$1000-2500 range will be filled with a description like:

"Car over heats / head gaskets are blown."

I promise you, these engines are prone to head gasket failure. and so are the Subaru's.

I've never had a good engine that was DOHC, OHV is a comfort zone that is less complicated and has stayed true for over 60 years.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-12-2014 05:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Are you sure? Go on craigslist and look up any cadillac that had the 4.6L Northstar.... You know what you'll find?

$1000-2500 range will be filled with a description like:

"Car over heats / head gaskets are blown."

I promise you, these engines are prone to head gasket failure. and so are the Subaru's.

I've never had a good engine that was DOHC, OHV is a comfort zone that is less complicated and has stayed true for over 60 years.

Uhm. OHC has been around for over a hundred years.

And the people selling the Northstars for cheap with complaints of overheating and blown head gaskets are exactly due to the well known bolt thread problem. Those cars all probably have around 100-120K miles on them, and were never fixed, simply because whoever is selling it has no idea there is a problem, and doesn't take proper care of the car. The bolt thread issue is well known and any GM dealer should know about it and be able to fix it.

Head gaskets are wear items. They will not last forever in any engine. Boosting will of course increase cylinder pressure, which also increases the possibility of blowing a head gasket. Improper maintenance of coolant level can also increase the probability of failure.

1986 Fiero GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2014 06:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1986 Fiero GTSend a Private Message to 1986 Fiero GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've had three Subarus, and the only time I had a head gasket issue was when I overheated my '99 Forester and warped the hell out of the heads, and I suspect that car had some serious cooling system issues when I bought it. Not a single problem from the other two.

...and the Northstar head gasket issue is a well known problem with that motor. Just need to install steel inserts or studs in the block to fix the problem forever. That's an aluminum block issue, not a DOHC issue.

Also to keep this LQ1 related, I'd like to reinforce that the LQ1 is just a modified 60V6 motor. Look at the majority of bottom-up DOHC motor designs, such as Subaru EJxx series motors and Northstars and you'll see open deck blocks. Look at the LQ1 and you'll find a GM 60V6 closed deck block with some provisions for a timing belt. I mean, the drive sprocket for the timing belt rides on what is essentially a cam blank in the center of the block.

Every motor needs maintenance eventually. It's just a matter of how much and when. You can't realistically expect to shove any 100,000+ mile motor in your Fiero and have it last forever.
virtuetovice

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2014 07:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for virtuetoviceSend a Private Message to virtuetoviceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
LQ1's are indeed a special kind of bastard to work on. Stuffing one into a Fiero's engine bay would probably result in EVERYTHING being harder to access. Maybe someone who owns one can elaborate? On the flipside, the 7000 RPM redline sounds amazing and for an early 90's V6 engine it shoots out a sick amount of power. Plus, they CAN be turbo'd and react to the boost quite nicely. That being said, they also eat the auto transmissions that came mated to them, right up. "I don't think any GM automatic transmission can stand up to 7k RM ***** slaps for very long." LOL. It's all preference, I suppose.
PFF
System Bot
ericjon262

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2014 07:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

This. LQ1s are a pain because they're 60 degree V6 blocks with DOHC as an afterthought.

And they are big, top-heavy engines. They sound like they belong in the Fiero, but they are not fun to work on at all.

don't get me wrong, I wasn't saying the engine is perfect by any means, just that, from a mechanical standpoint, headgaskets aren't a issue.
zzzhuh

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2014 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zzzhuhSend a Private Message to zzzhuhEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Uhm. OHC has been around for over a hundred years.

And the people selling the Northstars for cheap with complaints of overheating and blown head gaskets are exactly due to the well known bolt thread problem. Those cars all probably have around 100-120K miles on them, and were never fixed, simply because whoever is selling it has no idea there is a problem, and doesn't take proper care of the car. The bolt thread issue is well known and any GM dealer should know about it and be able to fix it.

Head gaskets are wear items. They will not last forever in any engine. Boosting will of course increase cylinder pressure, which also increases the possibility of blowing a head gasket. Improper maintenance of coolant level can also increase the probability of failure.

You are right, but im my case I've never had good luck with them and they always seem to be prone to the same issue. If you would rather work on an engine that has more moving parts and cost's more to fix, be my guest.

I was trying to explain to the O.P. that the 3.8SC is going to be a better option.
thesameguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2014 12:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for thesameguySend a Private Message to thesameguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As a side note, late '90s/early '00s Subarus do tend to have head gasket problems. Like the Northstar bolt thread problem, the EJ25s tend to suffer head gasket failures at around 120k. Doing a HG on these cars is a pain due to clearance issues, but smart folks will just pull the whole engine and do it on the bench. It's a 6-10 hour operation, not all that different from any split bank type of engine. After the early '00s, Subaru largely got the issue under control, just in time to start having oil pump/turbo issues instead. IMHO, the EJ25 was a cursed motor.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock