T-Top Sun Shades by craigtbone
Started on: 11-11-2014 11:16 AM
Replies: 7 (464 views)
Last post by: johnyrottin on 11-14-2014 08:42 AM
craigtbone

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2014 11:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for craigtboneSend a Private Message to craigtboneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I bought some new windshield sun shades recently, the type with flexible fabric stretched on a spring steel wire around the perimeter. As I was inserting these on windshield I started to imagine a small version that would cover the T-Top glass on the inside. The radius-ed corners would even fit the inside gasket & trim. Such a shade would block 100% of the sunlight, be very light weight and store behind the seat.

Looks like 18" x 18" would fit nicely in the seal / trim area inside of the T-Top glass and have sufficient grip to stay in place. I found a set of sun shades intended for partial blocking of the sun (mesh fabric) on side windows with the spring wire, that are 14" x 18". The 18" direction fits just as I imagined, obviously the 14" direction is too small. Even with only two sides engaging the T-Top seal / trim it stays securely in place.

Has any of you folk seen such a shade? 18" x 18" spring wire with opaque silvered fabric? I did some internet searching but did not find any shades that small. Has anyone already tried to make such a shade?

I might have to see if the fabric can be purchased at a fabric store and make a set.

Craig T.

[This message has been edited by craigtbone (edited 11-11-2014).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2014 06:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
One of the members (Russ88T-Top) on PFF currently makes opaque sun shades for the t-tops. The ones that I have seen are vinyl on the upper side and match the headliner on the passenger side.

Nelson

[This message has been edited by hnthomps (edited 11-11-2014).]

craigtbone

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2014 12:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for craigtboneSend a Private Message to craigtboneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for that tip. I took a look into those shades. The are very nice looking and the craftsmanship looks first rate. The only aspect about them that I do not like is that the T-Top glass panel must be removed to install or remove the shade.

What I want is a shade that can be quickly installed or removed while sitting in the car.

If I can find the proper fabric I might try making a set with spring steel wire around the perimeter.

Any other ideas & options are most appreciated.

Craig T.
TXOPIE

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2014 12:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Craig,

If you come up with a solution, let me know...I would be interested in s design like that as well.

hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2014 02:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am also interested in this concept if it can be made to work correctly.

Nelson
Fiero Thomas

Feedback score:    (170)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 125
Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2014 10:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ThomasSend a Private Message to Fiero ThomasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hnthomps:

One of the members (Russ88T-Top) on PFF currently makes opaque sun shades for the t-tops. The ones that I have seen are vinyl on the upper side and match the headliner on the passenger side.

Nelson

Originally posted by Fiero Thomas:

Here is a set that is going out tomorrow morning. My camera is getting worse and worse.

This is how I made them for the fourm members. I found it best with black vinyl on top to soak up heat. I dont make them anymore but if you want to learn book a flight and will will teach you.

Tom

------------------
1992 SVX LS-L
1998 Ford F150 Super Cab V8 4X4
2003 PT Dream Cruser #1801
2009 Dodge Challenger SRT8

FieroNews
FieroNews Spare Tire Cover

[This message has been edited by Fiero Thomas (edited 11-13-2014).]

sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2014 04:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero Thomas:

This is how I made them for the fourm members. I found it best with black vinyl on top to soak up heat. I dont make them anymore but if you want to learn book a flight and will will teach you.

Tom

Or you could use it an an excuse to come to Vegas and teach me

I like both ideas, a perm one like the ones Russ and Tomas make and a quick spring one.
johnyrottin

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2014 08:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Craig, Just a thought but maybe buy one of the fold out sets for a windshield for a few dollars from WalMart. You can take them apart and use the pieces to cut down as a test set. Most you lose would be $10 and some time.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock