Fiero on TV? by smobro45
Started on: 11-10-2014 11:40 PM
Replies: 20 (387 views)
Last post by: sardonyx247 on 11-13-2014 02:41 AM
smobro45

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2014 11:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for smobro45Send a Private Message to smobro45Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is there any car shows on TV that involve rebuilding a Pontiac fiero Gt or even the 4cyl? I would love to see that. I haven't found anything so I'm guessing not but how do people not realize that fieros are the (bee's knees) and rare too. They need to realized this on these tv shows. That way I can have a car that is worth more than $2k. When I talk about my car to people, only a fraction of them know what I'm saying. Most people don't even know what a fiero is and it makes me die a little inside. If a show were to fix one up or bring one on tv or something than maybe people will know more about them and they would stop running from them because they think they're going to catch on fire 😒

[This message has been edited by smobro45 (edited 11-11-2014).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
zzzhuh

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2014 12:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for zzzhuhSend a Private Message to zzzhuhEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not sure I fully understand what your asking but there are plenty of movies/t.v. shows that have the fiero in them:

Wayne's world - Gold fiero GT in the background.

Ferris bueller's day off - White notchback

Breaking bad - Yellow notchback

How I met your Mother - Silver Notchback (episode called : "Arrivederci, Fiero" all about Marshalls fiero)

BTW, welcome to the forums!

------------------
Every fiero has a story, It's our job to keep that story alive.

smobro45

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2014 12:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for smobro45Send a Private Message to smobro45Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Not sure I fully understand what your asking but there are plenty of movies/t.v. shows that have the fiero in them:

Wayne's world - Gold fiero GT in the background.

Ferris bueller's day off - White notchback

Breaking bad - Yellow notchback

How I met your Mother - Silver Notchback (episode called : "Arrivederci, Fiero" all about Marshalls fiero)

BTW, welcome to the forums!

I was thinking more of a car show that is about rebuilding cars. But thank you for those shows I will definitely watch them. I'm in love with my fiero and I just wish more people loved them like I do.

[This message has been edited by smobro45 (edited 11-11-2014).]

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2014 01:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by smobro45:

Most people don't even know what a fiero is and it makes me die a little inside.

Do you have a Fiero because YOU like it, or are you trying to impress someone?

Most of my friends probably think I'm nuts... as I have several Fieros. Do I care? ... Not at all.
smobro45

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2014 01:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for smobro45Send a Private Message to smobro45Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Is it bad if I say both? I feel like I should impress people when I tell them I drive a fiero, But whenever I say it all they do is either say "what's that" or "has it caught on fire yet?". But I mean obviously I love my car. Honestly I bought it because it looked cool, but ever since then I fell in love with it and it's given me nothing but joy. (Well until recently) but I don't want to talk about that now lol.
smobro45

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2014 01:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for smobro45Send a Private Message to smobro45Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

smobro45

12 posts
Member since Nov 2014

Maybe what I'm really thinking is...that one day when I say I drive a fiero somebody will actually appreciate the car and have a one on one conversation with me about the it. Is that too much to ask for every once in a while? I don't know everything about these cars and I would love to talk to someone in person that knows more than I do about them and they could teach me more about this beautiful car I have.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2014 01:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Maybe what I'm really thinking is...that one day when I say I drive a fiero somebody will actually appreciate the car and have a one on one conversation with me about the it.

I've been autocrossing my Fieros for the last five years. The first four years I drove my 5-spd '84 4-banger. It handled great with a tweaked suspension, but was sorely lacking in power to come out the corners. This past summer I drove my recently acquired 5-spd '88 Formula at autocross... and surprised a few people. I had a fella in his 60's who was autocrossing a late model Corvette come up to me at the end of the event and say (while pointing at my Formula)... "That car goes great! Some of us here have spent $85,000 on our Vettes, and you come here with your Fiero and beat us!"

Yeah, it was nice to hear... but I didn't need to hear it. I enjoy these silly little plastic cars no matter what anyone else might think of them.

From this past summmer at one of the Corvette Club autocrosses...

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 11-11-2014).]

johnyrottin

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2014 08:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have had them since 1984. I just bought number 40!!!
smobro45

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2014 08:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for smobro45Send a Private Message to smobro45Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I have had them since 1984. I just bought number 40!!!

That's so cool!! Do you still have one that you've had since 1984??
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2014 08:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice you tube autocross video, thanks for posting
css9450

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2014 09:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Most people don't even know what a fiero is ....

I kind of prefer it that way. If I wanted a car that everyone knew and recognized, I'd have bought something else.

PFF
System Bot
smobro45

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2014 09:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for smobro45Send a Private Message to smobro45Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I kind of prefer it that way. If I wanted a car that everyone knew and recognized, I'd have bought something else.

Yeah I guess you have a point there. I do like that I'm one of the only two people in my city/town that has a fiero.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2014 03:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Csjag:

Nice you tube autocross video, thanks for posting

Hey, you're welcome.

A fella from the Corvette Club stuck his GoPro camera on my Formula for that video. I quite like the perspective. I had no idea the front tire/wheel went up and down so much on a run! Also gives a good feel for the speed from that location... much better than all the videos I've shot from inside the car.
zzzhuh

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2014 05:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zzzhuhSend a Private Message to zzzhuhEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

I've been autocrossing my Fieros for the last five years. The first four years I drove my 5-spd '84 4-banger. It handled great with a tweaked suspension, but was sorely lacking in power to come out the corners. This past summer I drove my recently acquired 5-spd '88 Formula at autocross... and surprised a few people.

Hey Patrick, how much of a difference is an 88 fiero vs the previous years? I might be able to get my hands on an 88 Formula that is yellow with 120,000 miles. My 86GT is great but I've had people tell me how nice the 88 independent suspension is. Your thoughts?
zzzhuh

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2014 05:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zzzhuhSend a Private Message to zzzhuhEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

zzzhuh

826 posts
Member since Jan 2014

I was thinking more of a car show that is about rebuilding cars. But thank you for those shows I will definitely watch them. I'm in love with my fiero and I just wish more people loved them like I do.

You've come to the right place! Anything your looking to do to your car, has probably all ready been done and documented on this site.
smobro45

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2014 05:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for smobro45Send a Private Message to smobro45Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My 86 Gt has independent suspension...I thought they all did. Maybe I'm wrong? It looks like independent and I looked it up....Idk....
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2014 07:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by zzzhuh:

Hey Patrick, how much of a difference is an 88 fiero vs the previous years? I might be able to get my hands on an 88 Formula that is yellow with 120,000 miles. My 86GT is great but I've had people tell me how nice the 88 independent suspension is. Your thoughts?

Heh heh, they all have "independent suspension", but the '88 Fieros have a revised suspension made just for them... not cobbled together from other GM cars (although it actually worked out pretty well on the older models).

When I first got my '88 Formula, IMO it rode like a Cadillac compared to my '84 duke and my bone stock '86 GT. I've now stiffened up the '88 suspension somewhat for autocross, but to be honest, it still doesn't handle as well on the track as the '84 duke... which I had also "tweaked" considerably for autocross. However, I feel that eventually I'll be able to get the '88 to handle better on the track than the '84 (due to the advanced suspension). The '88 Formula obviously has a lot more power than the '84 duke.

Having said all that... I wouldn't replace a perfectly good '84-'87 with a similarly equipped '88 and expect a HUGE difference in how the car feels. Yes, I said the ride of the '88 Formula felt like a Cadillac compared the other two Fieros, but keep in mind the '84 had been set up quite stiff for autocross, and the '86 GT is absolutely stock (with I believe the original shocks and struts). I'm pretty sure the feel of the '86 GT could be improved with a few new suspension components.

So for example, I'd like to get my hands on a SBC powered 4 or 5-spd Fiero just for cruising. An '88 would be nice, but... it's not that much more of an improvement that I would pass up a well equipped '84-'87 SBC Fiero.

Last thing to keep in mind is that since the '88 used suspension parts that were only produced for a run of one year, some components (such as the front wheel hubs/bearings) are not nearly as available as what you would find for the '84-'87 models.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 11-12-2014).]

zzzhuh

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2014 02:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zzzhuhSend a Private Message to zzzhuhEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Last thing to keep in mind is that since the '88 used suspension parts that were only produced for a run of one year, some components (such as the front wheel hubs/bearings) are not nearly as available as what you would find for the '84-'87 models.

Great information! Thanks mate.
virtuetovice

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2014 07:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for virtuetoviceSend a Private Message to virtuetoviceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mythbusters did an episode where they tried to skip a car across water and shot nitrous into a yellow 2.8 Fiero
MulletproofMonk

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2014 07:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MulletproofMonkClick Here to visit MulletproofMonk's HomePageSend a Private Message to MulletproofMonkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have had 22 fiero's. Number 3 is my purple 87 GT with a 3800na, number 21 is a white 88 formula with a 3800sc, and number 22 is the gold 86 Fiero convertible I have in the mall... still love the FIeros but dont have the desire to work on them like I used too...

As far as the suspension, my buddy Matt likes the pre-88 front suspension, but the 88 rear end... so he runs an 86 SE with the 88 rear cradle. He feels that it gives him the best of both worlds. So it is possible to run another combo... I also saw a thread where someone put an 88 front end in a car...

------------------
-Brian

My 87 GT Poly Suspension Upgrade (all pics) thread
Removing the roof panel
My HUD install thread
Modified stock air canister and base to 3.5 inch for 3800na

Isn't it strange that after a bombing, everyone blames the bomber, his upbringing, his environment, his culture, his mental state but … after a shooting, the problem is the gun?

sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2014 02:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by virtuetovice:

Mythbusters did an episode where they tried to skip a car across water and shot nitrous into a yellow 2.8 Fiero

and they even cartwheeled the Fiero, and it STILL drove home.
A blonde sitting in the trunk adding NOS to a Fiero, just hot.
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock