Series 3 sc what parts do I need from donor car by Austin71093
Started on: 10-26-2014 10:50 PM
Replies: 16 (426 views)
Last post by: Steel on 11-02-2014 07:10 PM
Austin71093

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2014 10:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austin71093Send a Private Message to Austin71093Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Basically what the title says, I'm a new fiero owner and need some guidance as to what all parts I need to keep from the car and any info I can get on the wiring harness and the suspension. I'm doing the swap in my 87 gt, motor and all parts are coming from an 04 gtp. Thanks in advance!!!!!!!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2014 07:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do you plan to use the drive by wire feature or convert it to a cable controlled throttle? It would also be useful to know if you are going to add any performance products or plan to leave it stock before you get any realistic answers.

Nelson
Austin71093

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2014 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austin71093Send a Private Message to Austin71093Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I plan to do performance mods as well, just wondering what is the best option as far as all the swap info, I'm really looking for input and just some help as to what is the best way to go.
hnthomps

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2014 06:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I can at least list what mods my 3800 SC Series III engine has at the present time. It dynoed around 300 ft lbs of torque and 300 hp at the wheels with these mods and a very conservative tune.

2006 GTP 3800 SC Series III engine
Northstar throttle valve
3.4" pulley
VS cam
Stage II Intercooler
85 mm SLP MAF
Cramaic coated exhaust
ZZP fuel rails
Custom cold air intake
Large exhaust tubing
Corvette fuel pump

Nelson
Austin71093

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2014 08:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Austin71093Send a Private Message to Austin71093Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ive had a hard time finding information on the series III swap, any ideas as to a guide or anything that could help me out?
hnthomps

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2014 06:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Austin71093:

ive had a hard time finding information on the series III swap, any ideas as to a guide or anything that could help me out?

The first decision to make is do you keep drive by wire or convert to a mechanical throttle. The second one is do you use a stock 3800 SC or take a NA 3800 bottom and add a supercharger or turbo to that configuration. The transmission selection also requires some thought due to the multiple options (Getrag 282, Isuzu, F40, F23, auto (various types but would stick with the stock auto transmission for the 3800). The rest of the components are somewhat driven by those decisions. If you tell us specifically what you want to do PFF members can potentially provide a lot of information to help you out.

Nelson

[This message has been edited by hnthomps (edited 10-28-2014).]

Austin71093

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2014 07:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Austin71093Send a Private Message to Austin71093Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fiero Vampire

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2014 12:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero VampireSend a Private Message to Fiero VampireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Which ZZP Fuel Rails did you use? Did you still use the Returnless style with your L32 or do you convert back to the L67 Return Style?
Austin71093

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2014 01:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austin71093Send a Private Message to Austin71093Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would like to keep my getrag 5spd and make it all work around that.
hnthomps

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2014 04:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I would like to keep my getrag 5spd and make it all work around that.

At least the Getrag 282 bolts directly to the 3800 SC Series III engine and makes that particular task easier. I would recommend a Spec Stage 3 plus for this engine/transmission combination. I currently have a McLeod Sintered Iron clutch in the Series III but it is more of an On/Off clutch. I have the Spec Stage 3 plus in a Series II SC engine and like it a bit better since it is not so "grabby".

The next big decision is either a drive by wire system that comes with the Series III setup (at least one person on PFF has done this installation) or a conversion to a conventional cable/throttle arrangement. If you elect to go the conversion route, some people use a Series II throttle valve and it may a direct bolt in. I used a Northstar TV on my Series III engine and had to use an adapter plate to make the connection work correctly.

Nelson

[This message has been edited by hnthomps (edited 10-29-2014).]

Austin71093

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2014 06:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austin71093Send a Private Message to Austin71093Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How difficult would the drive by wire setup be to make work in my 87?
PFF
System Bot
Steel

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2014 08:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SteelSend a Private Message to SteelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'd probably just switch to a Northstar throttle body with the LQ4 MAF and be done with it.

hnthomps

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2014 09:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

There was at east one PFF member that went with the drive by wire setup on his/her swap. I do not remember who that was but believe that you can do a search and locate the thread.

BTW, this is what you can do with a 3800 SC series III with a few goodies (see above reply for the list). This is installed in a 1988 Mera and fits well. The 87 should be a slightly easier swap due to rear strut spacing.

Nelson

[This message has been edited by hnthomps (edited 10-30-2014).]

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2014 10:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Steel:

I'd probably just switch to a Northstar throttle body with the LQ4 MAF and be done with it.

Most if not all 3800SC series III engines already use an inline (hose mounted) MAF w a self contained IAT. . If you have that configuration you can only change the throttle body to the 2000-2005 N* but regardless when you go with series II PCM controls, new MAF table values need to be imported to the program. My engine did not come with the MAF when I got it so I went with the SLP 75mm early LS1 MAF .

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Austin71093

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2014 01:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austin71093Send a Private Message to Austin71093Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for everything guys, I'm hoping to have my 87 up and running in the near future then I will be tearing the gtp apart and getting ready for the swap. thank you all very much!!!!
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2014 06:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thanks for everything guys, I'm hoping to have my 87 up and running in the near future then I will be tearing the gtp apart and getting ready for the swap. thank you all very much!!!!

Good luck on the swap. The 3800 is a really solid engine and works very well in a Fiero.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Steel

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2014 07:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SteelSend a Private Message to SteelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

Most if not all 3800SC series III engines already use an inline (hose mounted) MAF w a self contained IAT. . If you have that configuration you can only change the throttle body to the 2000-2005 N* but regardless when you go with series II PCM controls, new MAF table values need to be imported to the program. My engine did not come with the MAF when I got it so I went with the SLP 75mm early LS1 MAF .

http://shop.zzperformance.c...nstallation-Kit.aspx

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock