New guy with a basket case by Grind
Started on: 10-22-2014 07:26 AM
Replies: 40 (956 views)
Last post by: Grind on 11-18-2014 01:15 PM
Grind

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2014 07:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GrindSend a Private Message to GrindEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Deleted

[This message has been edited by Grind (edited 01-31-2015).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2014 07:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the forum! I can't wait to see more pics & get an idea of the condition of the car.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2014 09:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome! what's 'magic smoke?'

There are a lot of Fiero people in Wisconsin to help you out.

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 10-22-2014).]

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2014 09:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

Electricity......didn't you know that electricity is actually smoke? When the smoke comes out, the electricity doesn't work anymore......

Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2014 10:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well.... it's better than 'rodent smoke' I guess.....
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2014 10:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very true......maybe I should name one of outdoor cats 'Smokey'!
tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2014 12:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the forum! Can I have those pallets?

------------------
1986 SE Aero coupe.

3.4 DOHC swap is complete and running, now just have to finish the rest of the car...

DKcustoms

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2014 06:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DKcustomsSend a Private Message to DKcustomsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow, that thing is pretty rough....

Should be a great project though, lots of stuff to do

Did you check for rust in the trunk beforehand?
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2014 09:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
New guy with a basket case by Grind

Who is going to become a basket case himself when he starts working on a Fiero !

Welcome aboard the nut ship, we all have to be nuts to have one of these things made of plastic !

Good luck on you new nervous breakdown.

Who do you think you are, Don/Maryjane?
Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 10-22-2014).]

Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2014 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

It's what makes the electrical system work. If you let the magic smoke out of the wiring, it won't work anymore.
Fortunately, you can get refill kits.

These are metric, so be sure to convert from drams to litres.

[This message has been edited by Formula88 (edited 10-22-2014).]

Khw

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2014 11:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks like the previous owner tried to put a radiator heat vent on the hood... But had absolutely NO CLUE what he was doing. Why would you vent the spare tire well?
PFF
System Bot
Grind

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2014 12:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GrindSend a Private Message to GrindEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Deleted

Grind

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2014 12:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GrindSend a Private Message to GrindEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Grind

25 posts
Member since Oct 2014
Deleted

Grind

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2014 01:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GrindSend a Private Message to GrindEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Grind

25 posts
Member since Oct 2014
Deleted

Grind

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2014 01:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GrindSend a Private Message to GrindEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Grind

25 posts
Member since Oct 2014
Deleted

Grind

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2014 01:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GrindSend a Private Message to GrindEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Grind

25 posts
Member since Oct 2014
Deleted

Grind

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2014 01:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GrindSend a Private Message to GrindEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Grind

25 posts
Member since Oct 2014
Deleted

Grind

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2014 01:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GrindSend a Private Message to GrindEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Grind

25 posts
Member since Oct 2014
Deleted

Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2014 08:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Grind!.......It's a parts car.... go get another one.

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 10-23-2014).]

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2014 11:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Grind!.......It's a parts car.... go get another one.

After seeing the rest of those pictures I think you are right, although I don't see many usable parts. Good luck kid, you are really going to need it if you really do intend on trying to restore that car. But then it is a start of you're fist of many nervous breakdowns to come from owning a Fiero, especially that one !

Steve
tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2014 11:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's still in better shape than the one I got. Took the first year and a half to sort out the butchering the PO had done, and another year to get it on the road. I think the same guy did your electrical system. One suggestion is break it up into small projects and tackle them one at a time. If you look at it as a whole it can become overwhelming and end up being another abandoned project.
PFF
System Bot
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2014 04:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It seems there were several small fires. The poor car was systematically destroyed. Someone spent some time coloring those yellow parts in the engine cradle. I suspect they got in over their head. Beats me how they damaged the doors. Was the prior owner Edward Scissorhands?
Grind

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2014 08:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GrindSend a Private Message to GrindEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Deleted

Grind

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2014 08:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GrindSend a Private Message to GrindEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Grind

25 posts
Member since Oct 2014
Deleted

Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2014 08:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Most likely that bumper cover was repainted and the new paint got too thick. Any deformation will result in a crack.

I admire your energy. You certainly could save this car, but there is hardly a part in the photos that does not need attention. Perhaps you are not concerned about getting it back to a stock look, in which case you could live with all those little white parts in the interior, and that unbelievable wiring job....( where is the battery?)...but if you want a stock Fiero....it will take 4 times the time and money to get this one there...
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2014 08:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Grind:

Really rough, but it was ridiculously cheap....

While you see "parts car", I see structurally sound, yet cosmetically hideous and mechanically molested. Worthy of being spared from the crusher.

This could be the most expensive car you've ever owned.

I started with a supposedly good car (described as "nearly mint"), and by the time I "made everything right" I was in for $10,000 more than
it appraised at and I'd be lucky to sell it for HALF the appraised value. And that's for an Indy which is definitely a more limited model.

Many here are speaking from experience. Once they "finished" they realized it would have been cheaper to start with a more expensive BETTER car in the first place.

------------------
Calgary time/temp

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT Click me
Super Duty 4 Indy #163 Click me

tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2014 09:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How many people here are into making money from their Fieros? If you are you picked the wrong car to do it. It's not a money thing, the joy is in taking something like that and saving it from the crusher. And because these are not super rare and expensive cars you can also enjoy DRIVING them. Sure, you can buy a fully restored Fiero for less than it would cost to repair something like that but where's the fun and pride of taking the before and after pics and be able to take pride in the fact that you did it? I say go for it.
Grind

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2014 09:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GrindSend a Private Message to GrindEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Deleted

Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2014 02:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
But you DO want to get it running......

Naturally, we will support you as much as possible.....but that may not be much. If you know someone with a Fiero, it might help to go look at the engine bay and note all the differences.

for example: I don't see a dogbone....C500.....MAP sensor.....Air intake......EGR....PCV.....Thermostat....Does it still have a fusebox?

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 10-24-2014).]

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2014 10:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

While you see "parts car", I see structurally sound, yet cosmetically hideous and mechanically molested. Worthy of being spared from the crusher.

Sometimes structurally unsound is an easier fix the structurally sound is.

My 86 SE in 01 when I picked it up as a downer car for the engine to replace the one in my 84 2M4. When I got it to my buddies he said fixing the body would be less work than swapping the engine, seeing we would be going from a 4 to a 6 cyl. start to finish it took us less than a week and it has been a daily driver ever since.

But like someone else said we are here to help, no matter what you decide !

Steve

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 10-24-2014).]

tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2014 07:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just to be clear. The body on a Fiero isn't structure. A Fiero can be structurally sound without a body.

Steve's looks to have had more than just body issues.
PFF
System Bot
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2014 08:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is a perfect example where the odds are you will have much more in this in the end than if you just went out and bought a lower mileage garaged model that is all original.

It is not just a Fiero but many cars anymore where even if you do all the work yourself it can really add up.

Anything can be done but really do some math on the entire cost of what you want to accomplish and just see how much it adds up to. If you plan to go custom it may save you a lot of money but if you go original it will add up and be difficult finding things like interior parts that are like new cheap.

They even scrap Ferrari's because the work to save them out weigh the value of the cars.

Good luck and I will be interested in the path you choose and the results.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2014 10:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hyperv6:

Anything can be done but really do some math on the entire cost of what you want to accomplish and just see how much it adds up to.

My point exactly. LOTS of guys here have said. "IF only I knew THEN, what I know NOW..."

hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2014 06:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

My point exactly. LOTS of guys here have said. "IF only I knew THEN, what I know NOW..."

I see it way too often and not just Fiero's where people get a good deal and then sink in more than they would have paid for a complete restored or original car.

With many cars even like a GTO you can spend $70K doing a restoration to a number one condition and yet you can't sell it for more than $45K unless it is some really rare oddity version that is in high demand.

The Fiero on the other hand is even more difficulty as you can sink $12K in real fast and for about the same or less you could have bought a always garaged original low mile car.

Now going custom can make it cheaper but yet you still have to stop take stock of what you will need and what you will spend before you turn the first wrench or better yet even buy the good deal. .

fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2014 08:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I have no lofty aspirations of restoring this to like-new condition, for concours trophy awards or to try sell it for profit (I know that will never happen).
I bought it cheap, with the intention of getting it running, for hooning around in the summer. Hell, it was cheap enough that it easily qualifies for LeMons.

No... but if the car is in really sad shape, you'll spend the same amount of money anyway and still not have a "show car" (just the receipts for one).

You want one for "fun summer driving". You can buy a running one of those that needs a bit of work for a couple thousand.
You'll still get your "jollies" of fixing it up how you like without spending as much as you would to buy a brand new car.

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 10-26-2014).]

MarkS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2014 10:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MarkSSend a Private Message to MarkSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What you need is a rust bucket parts car that has an intact electrical system and the other bits. In Wisconsin, like the northeast, you might find that for a few bucks. Still looking at a whole lot of work though.

Good luck & best regards,

Mark

------------------
86 SE V6 4 speed
86 SE V6 Auto
2008 G6 GT "Street" Coupe
2005 Buick 3.6 Rendezvous
2001 Olds Silhouette (AKA The Band Van)

hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2014 01:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

No... but if the car is in really sad shape, you'll spend the same amount of money anyway and still not have a "show car" (just the receipts for one).

You want one for "fun summer driving". You can buy a running one of those that needs a bit of work for a couple thousand.
You'll still get your "jollies" of fixing it up how you like without spending as much as you would to buy a brand new car.

I too was not talking show car here as just an engine and paint can be as much as a daily beater value. Then you have to do the interior and what ever else you need . Then your time also has a value.

My idea here was just to get the car looking good, reliable and to prevent it from needing a lot of work in the near future.

Lets face it $8k for a low mile car is a bargain for any car and for a Fiero it is a great viable option vs. putting money Into a car that will take similar money and never be close to the same condition.

I know everyone can't afford a lot of money for a car now but even if you have to save it up over the next year or two you would see a lot of benefit from it. How long would it take to restore it anyways a year or more in some folks cases anyways.

Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2014 09:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I hope we didn't chase Grind away.....maybe he is out shopping for another car....
Grind

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2014 01:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GrindSend a Private Message to GrindEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Deleted

jetsnvettes2000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2014 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetsnvettes2000Send a Private Message to jetsnvettes2000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can get a harness for it at Gibsons in neenah they have 2 If you are close to the valley I have just about every other part you need. Chek out Fox Valley Fiero club on here or facebook. https://www.facebook.com/groups/141412865904993/
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock