Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  How much POR15 would i need to coat the whole underside of my fiero?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
How much POR15 would i need to coat the whole underside of my fiero? by kawana
Started on: 10-19-2014 04:13 PM
Replies: 9 (645 views)
Last post by: bmwguru on 10-22-2014 04:58 AM
kawana

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2014 04:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kawanaClick Here to visit kawana's HomePageSend a Private Message to kawanaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm in the process of restorying my fiero, and I want to have it last another 28 years. This car is going to be a daily driver, year round, so I want to do my best at protecting it from rust. How much POR15 (or similar product) do you reckon I'd need to give the underside and engine bay atleast 2 coats?

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
kawana

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2014 04:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kawanaClick Here to visit kawana's HomePageSend a Private Message to kawanaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I forgot to ask another question. Is POR worth using if there isn't already rust? The underside is in great shape, but I want to protect it for the future. Would POR be my best bet, or would I be better off using a cheaper undercoating, if all Im looking to do is protect it?
css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2014 04:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by kawana:

Is POR worth using if there isn't already rust? The underside is in great shape, but I want to protect it for the future. Would POR be my best bet, or would I be better off using a cheaper undercoating, if all Im looking to do is protect it?

I think the POR would only work properly if you sanded or blasted off all the old paint and prepped or etched the bare metal per their directions.

I've painted tons of stuff with POR15 and have been very happy with it but the occasional areas which were not already rusty or bare metal I was careful to remove the old paint from first.

MiloFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2014 11:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MiloFieroSend a Private Message to MiloFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Although por 15 is a great product, its best to use when the surface is clean. Like the guy above stated, make sure its sandblasted and or clean of any loose rust. Minor surface rust and pitting wouldnt/shouldnt harm anything.
my-fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2014 06:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for my-fieroSend a Private Message to my-fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have done the underside of my fiero whit POR15 and after that i used Bitumen Undercoating Motip. Artnr: 000033

I used 1 can of 1L (but dit also the front hood)

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2014 08:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am not a fan of POR-15. I have worked on several cars that had it installed and it pulled off in large chunks due to poor surface prep. It will not stick to any painted surface (says so on the can - I have easily pulled it off paint several times, and completely stripped a cradle that had it with minimal effort), so the surface must be free of paint, then use their etching product to make it stick.

The other issue with the underside of the chassis is all the overlaping metal and seams where water and salt can get to and start rusting. POR-15 can't get into those areas and doesn't do a great job filling/sealing the gaps. For the underside of a daily driver, I would get it undercoated. The coating is normally thick enough to completely cover and seal up most of the seams. It also is normally designed to adhere to a painted surface.
Steel

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2014 01:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SteelSend a Private Message to SteelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I blasted my frame paint the upper and por'd the lower and I've had to retouch areas multiple times.. it just plain doesn't stick for some reason. I put a lot of work into the project and prepped better than most anyone ever would.. and I'm very disappointed with it.

[This message has been edited by Steel (edited 10-21-2014).]

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2014 06:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Have used POR-15 many times and it seems to stick well only on oil free rusted surfaces. It will also stick on primed surfaces but as pointed out doesn't stick over paint or surfaces with any dirt on them. The vapors are highly toxic and if it gets on your skin it is VERY difficult to remove. It also deteriorates quickly when exposed to UV. The substance is an iso-cyanate compound similar to Crazy Glue.
I would say that its good to use only over rusty metal and it can be painted over ONLY while it is still tacky.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Tstang429

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2014 09:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tstang429Send a Private Message to Tstang429Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ive used por was not happy. I used kbs system on my fireo much happier. heres a link to there site.
http://www.kbs-coatings.com/stop-rust-paints.html
bmwguru

Feedback score:    (38)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2014 04:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm very happy with my results with POR-15. No peeling, flaking or any issues. You do need to clearcoat over the parts exposed to sunlight though.

Dave

------------------

www.hausofguru.com

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock