Did I kill my car? by Rick 88
Started on: 10-17-2014 03:57 PM
Replies: 6 (360 views)
Last post by: Rick 88 on 10-18-2014 03:29 PM
Rick 88

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2014 03:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok Guys,

I'm a big dummy. Got a check engine light on my car. I decied to pull the codes last night but used the paper clip method since I did not have my reader with me. Got a code 45. I had my laptop so I was going to run win aldl to see if it would tell me more. Unfortunately, I pulled the paper clip with the key in the run position. I may have blown a fuse or worse. Now my car will crank, and I smell fuel but it has no spark. What should I check first. Did a cursory check of fuses but did not see any that looked bad, I might have missed the right one. Did I fry the ECM? HELP!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Drew-py

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2014 06:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Drew-pySend a Private Message to Drew-pyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
code 45 is rich mixture. Pulling the paper clip out while key in run position has never effected any of my cars.

Have you confirmed no spark or just assuming because car doesn't start. Fooled plugs from over rich condition, no matter how new the plugs are, can happen and will prevent starting. It happen to me on a set with less than 50 miles and only 2hrs run time.

If I have fuel and certain everything should work electronically, the thing I blame once have I ruled out cap, rotor and the plugs are not fooled out and all wires are connected properly, is the ICM in the distributor. They are about $45 or so

Hope this gives you a direction to work further on solving your no start issue
Rick 88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2014 08:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's ALIVE!

Turns out it blew the fuel pump fuse. It had a 5 amp in there. Is that correct? I replaced it with another 5 amp and it fired right up.

Back to the code 45, I have read that Bosch O2 sensors can be problamatic. I am almost positive it's a Bosch O2 sensor in the Y pipe. It triggers a check light when it is cold and coasting down hill. It will go out shortly after getting back on power. Is there brand of O2 sensors these engines like better? If I run win aldl what should I look for?

[This message has been edited by Rick 88 (edited 10-17-2014).]

Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2014 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2014 08:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rick 88:

Turns out it blew the fuel pump fuse. It had a 5 amp in there. Is that correct?

Doesn't look like it.
virtuetovice

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2014 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for virtuetoviceSend a Private Message to virtuetoviceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
IIRC, fuel pump relay fuse is a 10 amp?
Rick 88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2014 03:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys, going to check all the fuses now. Never had a need to look at them since I purchased my car.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock