Is my radio fixable? by craigtbone
Started on: 10-16-2014 08:39 PM
Replies: 13 (488 views)
Last post by: Patrick on 11-02-2014 09:06 PM
craigtbone

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2014 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for craigtboneSend a Private Message to craigtboneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The original radio/CD player in my '88 seems to have a good sound. The speakers need to be replaced for sure.

The only problem is that the red display works fine sometimes and other times only a few of the LEDs light up making it unreadable.

Has this problem been seen before? Is it likely that it can be easily repaired? Where would I send it to be repaired?

Craig T.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2014 09:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rick 88

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2014 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like it might only be a bad solder connection. When they go out again try tapping the case. If they light up thats probably all it is. There are some guys on Pennocks that work on radios. Also on ebay. Some of them can install jacks for MP3 players too. Good idea to get this done at the same time.
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2014 07:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

http://replacementradios.co...099340edc84f42d85b84

Don't know if you looked at their site lately but they no longer have the GM radios from the 80s....at least not that I could find.

It's becoming difficult to find a cassette radio from the 90s.

I don't know if they will still repair the old radios but there are a couple of folks on eBay that are repairing the 80s radio in their spare time.

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 10-18-2014).]

Kitskaboodle

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2014 07:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have that problem too. I call it " Chinese Hyrogliphics". Just be thankful you don't have the typical volume control up/down issue that most of these are plagued with. Personally, I'd leave it in there until you start developing the volume control problem cause it's far more annoying then a flaky display. Just sayin...
Kit
84fiero123

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2014 11:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is it really original equipment, I didn't think GM started putting CD player in until 89 or 90?

Any way there is a place on the net I forget the name that will repair just about any radio or speedometer For A Price and not that cheap ether, give me a few min and I will see if I can find it. I had it in favorites but Hal died a while back and had to reboot all my old info and never got all my old favorites in.

Well that was easier than I thought it would be, they are located in VA so there will be some shipping involved depending on where you are, unless you are as well.

http://carradio.com/

Good luck, I called them about repairing my 1980 AM/FM/Cassette/CB radio a few years ago, actually about 10 and there estimate scared me then.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 10-21-2014).]

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2014 12:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84fiero123:

Is it really original equipment, I didn't think GM started putting CD player in until 89 or 90?

Steve

Pretty sure no Fiero came with a CD... I think he means the GM/Factory radio versus an aftermarket.
craigtbone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2014 11:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for craigtboneSend a Private Message to craigtboneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking for a little advice...repair current stereo / buy refurbished one the same as the current stereo -OR- buy a new stereo / CD player?

I would think that the current stereo would sound just fine with new speakers (but I do not know much about stereos). My requirements are not rigorous. A clock, decent sound quality, basic functions, Aux input on front face (modified original stereo available from PFF member), would like to retain red lighting.

A little searching for a new stereo did not find any that looked to me like they stylistically fit the Fiero. Style is not paramount but with all other requirements being met, appropriate style is nice. The new stereos might look good when installed but I am not seeing it.

I am not super demanding with sound quality but I do want good quality. (News, jazz, classical, almost every style). I plan on replacing the dash and pillar speakers. I do not pay much attention to audio equipment so I just do not know much about it. Budget probably is not an issue, $200 seems plenty but would go higher if needed.

So any sage wisdom and advice? Original vs. new? If new, what brands? Is cutting out the brace to fit new a difficult task?

Any thoughts & suggestions most appreciated.

Craig T.

Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2014 12:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had this place http://www.carstereoworks.com/ rebuild my 87 GT multi button am-fm Cassette radio in 2011. The issue I had was that the on/off button would work some times. It wasn't cheap, but they went through the whole radio rebuilding the tape drive etc. Good if you are in central Florida.

[This message has been edited by Old Lar (edited 11-02-2014).]

mckaymotoworks

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2014 12:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mckaymotoworksClick Here to visit mckaymotoworks's HomePageSend a Private Message to mckaymotoworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am having EBBCO mod the 98' Delco I just bought. He can clean up the sound pretty good for $150
Quality caps, OP amps where needed, copper trace upgrades. Filters to add separation
The guy is well respected in the auto sound community. EBBCO

I will add the Audio Control DQ-61 to get EQ, low level outs for my amps.

[This message has been edited by mckaymotoworks (edited 11-02-2014).]

craigtbone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2014 04:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for craigtboneSend a Private Message to craigtboneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If I decide to go with a new stereo, what is this brace I read about that needs to be cut out?

What does it brace?

Is it difficult to cut out?

Does another brace need to be added?
PFF
System Bot
Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2014 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In the Fiero and you remove the radio, there is a triangular brace in there which the "knob" on the back of the stock radio fits into and it supports the back of the radio, That bracket, in my 88 GT was pop riveted in place, and by breaking on of the rivets, the bracket would swing out of the way. The replacement radio's knob was in a different location.

I'm unsure whether or not some sort of bracket is needed to support the replacement radio. I did not use a replacement radio bracket when I installed a 98 am/f/cd radio from a 98 Grandprix.
formulaWA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2014 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for formulaWASend a Private Message to formulaWAEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you would like to maintain the original look and fit with modern technology (.mp3 files on a flash drive)
http://www.retrosound.com/p...-p12-new-261-660.htm
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2014 09:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by formulaWA:

If you would like to maintain the original look and fit with modern technology (.mp3 files on a flash drive)
http://www.retrosound.com/p...-p12-new-261-660.htm

$400 ??!!!!!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock