84 by sgosser
Started on: 10-16-2014 11:23 AM
Replies: 12 (237 views)
Last post by: jscott1 on 10-18-2014 01:05 PM
sgosser

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2014 11:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sgosserSend a Private Message to sgosserEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i have a chance to buy an 84 for 200 dollars. its an SE. all it needs to run is a battery. I would say it is in average shape for the year. I was wondering about the value of it. the odometer broke at 132000 so i don't know about mileage. The engine has been rebuilt and has msd blaster coil. tires are good and it shifts good. windshield is cracked. If I got it, it would be to resell it. I am not sure how hard it would be to sell an 84. any thoughts?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2014 11:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
$200 for anything that runs is a good deal.
To flip it.. hard to say. I would think $500 should be easy, if you can clean it up.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2014 02:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

IMO, trying to flip an '84 that requires work in the hopes of making a profit is a poor investment of time and effort. Perhaps it's a regional thing, but it's difficult to give away a running '84 here.
jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2014 02:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

IMO, trying to flip an '84 that requires work in the hopes of making a profit is a poor investment of time and effort. Perhaps it's a regional thing, but it's difficult to give away a running '84 here.

probably a regional issue. Here in MI, anything that runs is worth $1K.
sgosser

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2014 02:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sgosserSend a Private Message to sgosserEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not sure what to do. I have a 17 yr old step daughter that now wants it. Her dad has promised to help her buy a car. Im not sure if I want her in a 30 yr old car that I have to come and fix. i just jump started it and let it run. Sounded good but after five minutes it started climbing above 220 so I shut it off. Im gonna have to inspect it a lot closer now.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2014 03:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Find her an airbag car.....

and you don't want her stranded out in the boonies at 1AM on your conscience....do you?

These are hobby cars.....not reliable transportation.
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post10-16-2014 03:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sgosser:

Not sure what to do. I have a 17 yr old step daughter that now wants it. Her dad has promised to help her buy a car. Im not sure if I want her in a 30 yr old car that I have to come and fix. i just jump started it and let it run. Sounded good but after five minutes it started climbing above 220 so I shut it off. Im gonna have to inspect it a lot closer now.

If you are looking for a car that will run reliably, I'd say move along. If it got that hot in 5 minutes, it's not a good sign. If you want a car for a project where you're going to restore it or do an engine swap, then it's not a bad deal.
jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2014 03:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not a car for a kid.....

Could have a cracked head and/or bad front fan (my fan was replaced under one of the recalls.... '84 sport coupe.. as the resistor went bad and the fan didn't work).
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post10-16-2014 03:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaskispyder:

Not a car for a kid.....

Could have a cracked head and/or bad front fan (my fan was replaced under one of the recalls.... '84 sport coupe.. as the resistor went bad and the fan didn't work).

Fan doesn't come on until 235 degrees, so I'd lean more toward the former for this car, if it is actually hitting 220 within 5 minutes of a cold start. Of course, it could just be the temp gauge being way off too, as we know they aren't the most reliable gauge at times (just search for "temp gauge" on the forum).
jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2014 04:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

Fan doesn't come on until 235 degrees, so I'd lean more toward the former for this car, if it is actually hitting 220 within 5 minutes of a cold start. Of course, it could just be the temp gauge being way off too, as we know they aren't the most reliable gauge at times (just search for "temp gauge" on the forum).

oops, missed that. Yup... fan could be working properly, just have to wait for 235F (if everything is working properly).

I know '84 Fans were slightly different and mine actually had a blown resistor. Could also check to make sure the fan comes on with the A/C (if equipped).
sgosser

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2014 10:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sgosserSend a Private Message to sgosserEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the replies. I was thinking along the same lines. It is not a car for a kid. She is sure persistent in wanting it. I did figure out that the fan is not coming on. I ran direct from battery and it came on so it is in the wiring i suppose. It has been redone without going through the relay so I will have to trace a wire. It appears to go back to the battery which makes no sense to me. It would run all the time. I will mess with it this weekend.
PFF
System Bot
jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2014 03:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2014 01:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A lot of people rigged the fans to run all the time to reduce the probability of overheating. Only GM knows why they picked such an insanely high number for the fan switch. Probably had something to do with 1984 emissions.

But on topic, a 30 year old car is not reliable transportation for a teenager. Especially a girl. You want her stranded on the side of the road?

And flipping Fieros is not for the faint of heart. You might find a buyer, but around these parts it's hard to give one away.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock