Next time your under your car check your mounts by Edwin
Started on: 10-11-2014 09:22 PM
Replies: 9 (375 views)
Last post by: dbober on 10-15-2014 09:54 PM
Edwin

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2014 09:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EdwinSend a Private Message to EdwinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not sure this is a common thing or not but check your mounts the next time your under your car.
Even though i didnt notice anything while driving mine were actually pretty bad.
After replacing them some time ago i noticed this time the right side engine mounting bracked (not the rubber mount itself) was cracked pretty bad.
Its pretty hard to see when the mount is dirty but 2/3 of it was broken. Hard to see even in the pictures but it actually moved about 1 mm at the end of the crack and the bracket has a slight bend in it.
PS it looks pretty easy to replace at first glance but it is a pain to get it out
But its welded now and good to go!

its right under the bolt.

on the right side here

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2014 12:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That looks like an 88 V6 mount.
I have heard of several of them cracking, but your thread is a good reminder. Thanks for sharing.
GreenPlatypus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2014 01:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GreenPlatypusSend a Private Message to GreenPlatypusEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've welded a couple back together, 3 or 4. One had split completely. I never did find the culprit that lead up to the failure. All were 88's.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2014 01:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by GreenPlatypus:
I never did find the culprit that lead up to the failure.

I suspect it's just a design feature.
hookdonspeed

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2014 06:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
always good to know hard to find 88 parts seem to break
time for an engine swap
Chelo Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2014 08:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chelo FieroClick Here to visit Chelo Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Chelo FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The 88 cars don't have the drive line absorbers, so they rely on the dogbone mount to minimize the forth to back movement.
Edwin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2014 07:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EdwinSend a Private Message to EdwinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The bracket is indeed from an 88 i forgot to mention, well spotted! But then i didnt know this is an 88 thing.
I'm not sure the dogbone could be the cause for this tho, i would imagine sideways motions from the engine would cause fatique on the bracket this way, not back and forth?
Perhaps worn left side engine mounts? Not that i know much about metal fatique tho

[This message has been edited by Edwin (edited 10-15-2014).]

dbober

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2014 08:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dboberSend a Private Message to dboberEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Common problem with the 1988 V6 and 5-Speed transmission and lead foot driving. Replaced mine several years ago with a salvage yard part but kept the cracked one. Next time I'll get it welded. Replaced the upper dogbone mount with a Fiero Store steel and polyurethane mount and haven't cracked one since. Keep in mind, I primarily autocross my car, which does stress the drive line.

A friend of my owned Todd Rupp's 1988 Fiero Formula for three years and his had been replaced too. That car was an SCCA Nationally competitive car.

http://www.team.net/archive...000-06/msg00275.html
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2014 08:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dbober:

Replaced the upper dogbone mount with a Fiero Store steel and polyurethane mount and haven't cracked one since. Keep in mind, I primarily autocross my car, which does stress the drive line.

I was given one of those and installed it on my '88 Formula, which I also autocross. I was afraid that because it was so stiff, that it would actually contribute to factory motor (and/or tranny) mounts breaking, not prevent it. So I took it off and put back the stock dogbone.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 10-15-2014).]

dbober

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2014 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dboberSend a Private Message to dboberEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

I was given one of those and installed it on my '88 Formula, which I also autocross. I was afraid that because it was so stiff, that it would actually contribute to factory motor (and/or tranny) mounts breaking, not prevent it. So I took it off and put back the stock dogbone.

That was a concern of mine too, but so far, no issues. I think I replaced that in 2005? Not sure. I do plan on replacing the rubber motor and tranny mounts next year, they are original.

I think by stabilizing the top of the motor, you relieve a lot of twist/torque stress on that bottom motor mount. But that's just a theory.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock