Started on: 09-28-2014 05:29 PM
Replies: 13 (338 views)
Last post by: 2.5 on 09-29-2014 04:45 PM
cam-a-lot

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2014 05:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I noticed a LOT of heat coming from under the ash tray area in my car. Considering one of our group in the cruise today had his Fiero burn to a crisp, I am a little paranoid.. Can anyone explain what the heck would cause heat in this area? It is really warm, too warm to touch. Could the shifter cables transfer heat from the engine bay??

[This message has been edited by cam-a-lot (edited 09-28-2014).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
rpro

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2014 05:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rproSend a Private Message to rproEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
the cooling tubes from the engine run underneath that area, the little light bulbs next to the ashtrays make some heat. Other than that, there's not much in the vicinity thar can generate heat.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2014 05:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rpro:

the cooling tubes from the engine run underneath that area

Do you mean the heater core feed and return lines down beside the fuel tank?

Keep in mind that the heated air from the radiator also swirls around under the car and may be pulled up into the fuel tank tunnel...
no2pencil

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2014 06:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for no2pencilSend a Private Message to no2pencilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mine gets hot too. I removed my ash trays & shove my phone in the hole. My phone gets incredibly warm, as well as the arm rest is noticeably warm too.
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2014 06:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Foam rubber seals in the climate control duct work, transmission cable or harness grommets in the engine firewall and even the tiny little ash tray lights can generate a lot of heat in that area. I always remove my ash tray bulbs and cigarette lighter bulb because the heat they generate causes separation of the console and shift surround.
benoitmalenfant

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2014 06:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for benoitmalenfantSend a Private Message to benoitmalenfantEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
On rides longer than 1 hour, the vinyl bezel around the shifter plate becomes noticeably hot on both sides, near the ashtray lights area. I usually notice it when I'm using the cruise control and I pull my right leg back a bit, my knee ends up resting on the vinyl and it will bother me if I'm wearing bermudas. The passenger will sometimes notice it on long rides as well when they move their legs around to make themselves comfortable.

I ended up simply removing the ashtray lights.

I wish there was a switch to close the bulbs when the ashtray doors were closed.

------------------
Ben
87 GT / 88 GT
84 Indy #1863

solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2014 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How about the heat from the ECM?
fierogtlt1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2014 11:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtlt1Send a Private Message to fierogtlt1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Try copper heat shield tape it works great for the heat.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps...GPD0K8BC31gv%29&rt=d
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2014 11:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by solotwo:
How about the heat from the ECM?

Heat under ash trays? Maybe but heat rises.
Heat in "glove box" in the console? Very likely. See my Cave, ECM Heat

I think heat pipes won't heat that area.
Pipes are at floor level, insulated and gets some air moving under the car.

Fuel pump won't heat anything except fuel. Fuel flow is lube and coolant to the pump.

Could be heater box and/or ducts blowing hot/cold air thru the console, like Adding carpet blocking heater outlets can do it.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

MiloFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2014 12:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MiloFieroSend a Private Message to MiloFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've got the same issue. More noticeable on longer drives. Cigarette lighter gets really warm, I'm afraid that i may melt my radar detector plug.
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2014 01:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MiloFiero:
I've got the same issue. More noticeable on longer drives. Cigarette lighter gets really warm, I'm afraid that i may melt my radar detector plug.

If HL switch is on then You can try removing lighter light bulb. 194 bulb in close space does get hot.
most likely the lighter socket is bad. Get a new socket.
Most detectors use very simple cords and plugs but the plug could be bad too.

See my Cave, Lighter

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 09-29-2014).]

PFF
System Bot

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2014 09:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are there LEDs available in that size that wont get hot?
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2014 04:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:
Are there LEDs available in that size that wont get hot?

194 yes
70 likely. Not all venders carry very small ones.

Most LEDs don't dim well on Fiero's dimmer circuit.
Auto shifter and maybe lighter is on dimmer. Not sure ash tray is on dimmer or wire directly to switch power.

Avoid white w/ color temp >3500°K.
Brighter lamps/leds in these spots can cause glare problems and that can make hard to see outside at night.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2014 04:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

194 yes
70 likely. Not all venders carry very small ones.

70, is that a "T5"?

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock