Fiero Fuel Tank Dumping by Fatfenders of Canada
Started on: 09-22-2014 01:03 PM
Replies: 10 (376 views)
Last post by: Patrick on 09-23-2014 04:59 PM
Fatfenders of Canada

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2014 01:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fatfenders of CanadaSend a Private Message to Fatfenders of CanadaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just inherited my son's Fiero which had the engine rebuilt an then parked for 4 years. It turns over produces oil pressure but the fuel is skunky. What would the easiest/fastest way to dump the fuel from the tank? I have the shop manual for it.

Thanks a Million in advance.

[This message has been edited by Fatfenders of Canada (edited 09-22-2014).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2014 01:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If the fuel pump still works jumper it at the aldl connector and run the fuel pump to pump most of it out. It is probably best to drop the tank and clean it and replace the fuel pump and filter sock though.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2014 02:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Save yourself the trouble and just add fresh gas to the old gas (if there's no need to drop the tank). I've done this with several Fieros which have sat for years, including one with eight year old gas.
Fatfenders of Canada

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2014 02:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fatfenders of CanadaSend a Private Message to Fatfenders of CanadaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I did try that at first by adding about five gallons of new fuel, but the smell of the stale gas is very strong even after I added the high test fuel .. I think I may just add some more fuel and check for fuel pump activity and now I think I'll have a look at the spark situation with a timing light.

Again thanks for the help ...
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2014 03:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fatfenders of Canada:

I did try that at first by adding about five gallons of new fuel, but the smell of the stale gas is very strong even after I added the high test fuel .. I think I may just add some more fuel and check for fuel pump activity...

If you've already added five gallons of gas, don't add any more unless you're positive the fuel pump is working. Can you hear it hum for two seconds when you turn the ignition key?

And don't worry about the smell of the stale gas. As long as it hasn't turned to goo or contains water, it'll burn just fine when mixed with fresh gas.

Fatfenders of Canada

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2014 03:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fatfenders of CanadaSend a Private Message to Fatfenders of CanadaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Actually no I didn't hear a humm at all ... I cracked the input to the plenum and no fuel so I am suspicious of the fuel pump ... going to check it out in about an hour after I finish my chores around the yard.

Again thanks for the input ...
Fiero Thomas

Feedback score:    (170)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 125
Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2014 06:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ThomasSend a Private Message to Fiero ThomasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like a toasted fuel pump if there is no hum. You have to drop the tank anyway to replace it so I would just dump the fuel out then. I would check with your local village to find the best place to give your old fuel to as most places have a drop off point.

------------------
1992 SVX LS-L
1998 Ford F150 Super Cab V8 4X4
2003 PT Dream Cruser #1801
2009 Dodge Challenger SRT8

FieroNews
FieroNews Spare Tire Cover

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2014 07:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero Thomas:

Sounds like a toasted fuel pump if there is no hum. You have to drop the tank anyway to replace it so...

Hang on...hang on... why such a hurry? It hasn't even been suggested yet to check the relay!

Try by-passing the relay and connect 12v to the proper ALDL connector for the fuel pump. If the pump works, you may not need to drop the tank. If if doesn't work, get ready for some fun.
Fatfenders of Canada

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2014 11:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fatfenders of CanadaSend a Private Message to Fatfenders of CanadaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for that ... relay (where'd I find that little puppy?) Let me guess under one of the headlights or under the ashtray. Man this little beast is fun ... just joking I have a manual for it ... I've noticed some rat residue and I wonder if the critters have chewed up a wire (or two).
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2014 03:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Save yourself the trouble and just add fresh gas to the old gas (if there's no need to drop the tank). I've done this with several Fieros which have sat for years, including one with eight year old gas.

I do not doubt that adding good gasoline to bad will allow the engine to start and run, but do you really want that old crud circulating through the fuel system? I would think that doing it this way might cause a clogged injector.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2014 04:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fatfenders of Canada:

I've noticed some rat residue and I wonder if the critters have chewed up a wire (or two).

Check everything out carefully, as you don't want to drop the tank for nothing.

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

...do you really want that old crud circulating through the fuel system? I would think that doing it this way might cause a clogged injector.

I count on the fuel filter to do what it's there for.
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock