Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  SE MI/Metro Detroit Fiero owners, recomended route to Henry Ford Museum

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
SE MI/Metro Detroit Fiero owners, recomended route to Henry Ford Museum by solotwo
Started on: 09-21-2014 02:55 PM
Replies: 16 (293 views)
Last post by: KurtAKX on 10-06-2014 10:27 AM
solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2014 02:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My son is getting married the first weekend in October and I want to get to the rehearsal at Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn on Friday. I'll be heading in from GR on 96. Looking at maps I can see three to four different ways to get there. I am looking for the route that would be Fiero friendly(My car is lower than stock.) on a Friday afternoon. I will also need to find either Sunoco, Shell or BP stations on the route. I like to use better premium fuel. Gas gage is off so I try to refuel around 100 miles to be on the safe side. LOL

The wedding will be Saturday and we will be driving the wife's new Dodge Dart to Dearborn so that is not a problem.

Thanks
Steve
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
lateFormula

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2014 03:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lateFormulaSend a Private Message to lateFormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This year I-96 is under construction between I-275 and Telegraph road. The project is slated for early completion, but is not finished yet, and will not be open next weekend. I would suggest I-96 from Grand Rapids across the state through Lansing to I-275 South in Novi. Take I-275 south and exit at Michigan Avenue, then head East on Michigan Ave. You will drive approximately 10 miles east to Oakwood Boulevard, turn right on Oakwood and follow the signs. Be aware that Michigan Avenue is a major thoroughfare and has a speed limit of 45. But there is an area of that road that passes through downtown Wayne where the speed limit drops to like 25 MPH. The eastbound and westbound lanes of Michigan Avenue diverge when it passes through Wayne so that will be your first hint to watch your speed.
solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2014 06:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lateFormula:

This year I-96 is under construction between I-275 and Telegraph road. The project is slated for early completion, but is not finished yet, and will not be open next weekend. I would suggest I-96 from Grand Rapids across the state through Lansing to I-275 South in Novi. Take I-275 south and exit at Michigan Avenue, then head East on Michigan Ave. You will drive approximately 10 miles east to Oakwood Boulevard, turn right on Oakwood and follow the signs. Be aware that Michigan Avenue is a major thoroughfare and has a speed limit of 45. But there is an area of that road that passes through downtown Wayne where the speed limit drops to like 25 MPH. The eastbound and westbound lanes of Michigan Avenue diverge when it passes through Wayne so that will be your first hint to watch your speed.

Thank you that is good to know. I have been looking at maps and may take 96 to 23 to 14 to 153 to dearborn, but it looks like a lot of stop lights. Or 153 to 275 to Michigan(12). Not sure yet.

[This message has been edited by solotwo (edited 09-21-2014).]

pHoOl

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2014 12:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pHoOlClick Here to visit pHoOl's HomePageSend a Private Message to pHoOlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Keep an eye on MDOT, the site I just checked said 96 is scheduled to open on 9-30. That section in Wayne you highlighted, yes, it drops down in speed and you'll likely get stopped at a light or 3. But the rest of the route on Michigan Ave should move pretty well for you, and I think the lights are pretty well timed so that you're cruising through greens doing 50ish or so.

Just saw the part about your car being lowered and Friday traffic. It's been a few months since I went down Michigan Ave, but I don't remember it being too bad. That said, you should know, Metro Detroit roads on average suck worse that Grand Rapids roads. The roads you guys replace, we'd love to have and consider new. (Live in Novi, went to college in Allendale so I'm familiar with the 96 route... can and have driven it in my sleep)

Also, in Friday traffic, it'll take you a while. For the most part, you're going to be coming in the right direction to have lighter traffic. The heavy stuff will be going West. I forget on 275 through which way it gets jacked up, at that time of day. Especially on a Friday things start getting heavy around 3:30-4ish and stay heavy until probably 7.

Another thing. Word to the wise, the Livonia Police department makes a TON of money on 275. Once you cross the 8 mile road exit until you get down to about Ann Arbor Rd. exit, I'd make sure you're doing 78mph or less. In general you probably won't get nailed up to 80, but they seem to ALWAYS have 2-3 squad cars out there with people pulled over.
KurtAKX

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2014 08:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KurtAKXSend a Private Message to KurtAKXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I-96 is open.
KurtAKX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2014 08:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KurtAKXSend a Private Message to KurtAKXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

KurtAKX

4008 posts
Member since Feb 2002

Originally posted by pHoOl:

Keep an eye on MDOT, the site I just checked said 96 is scheduled to open on 9-30. That section in Wayne you highlighted, yes, it drops down in speed and you'll likely get stopped at a light or 3. But the rest of the route on Michigan Ave should move pretty well for you, and I think the lights are pretty well timed so that you're cruising through greens doing 50ish or so.

Just saw the part about your car being lowered and Friday traffic. It's been a few months since I went down Michigan Ave, but I don't remember it being too bad. That said, you should know, Metro Detroit roads on average suck worse that Grand Rapids roads. The roads you guys replace, we'd love to have and consider new. (Live in Novi, went to college in Allendale so I'm familiar with the 96 route... can and have driven it in my sleep)

Also, in Friday traffic, it'll take you a while. For the most part, you're going to be coming in the right direction to have lighter traffic. The heavy stuff will be going West. I forget on 275 through which way it gets jacked up, at that time of day. Especially on a Friday things start getting heavy around 3:30-4ish and stay heavy until probably 7.

Another thing. Word to the wise, the Livonia Police department makes a TON of money on 275. Once you cross the 8 mile road exit until you get down to about Ann Arbor Rd. exit, I'd make sure you're doing 78mph or less. In general you probably won't get nailed up to 80, but they seem to ALWAYS have 2-3 squad cars out there with people pulled over.

Ha, I lived in Allendale for a while, too. I have done the Dearborn to GR drive so many times that when I go through the 96/275 interchanges I sometimes autopilot towards GR.

Steve, you should have no problems at all just taking 96 all the way (it merges with 275 for a bit, just keep following the 96 East signs)...
until you get to (M39) Southfield freeway.

Take Southfield south to Exit 6.
Exit 6 is going to be kind of strange for you, you'll keep going straight past both East and West Michigan Ave turnoffs, and then you'll get off to the right just before it turns back onto M39.

lateFormula

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2014 10:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lateFormulaSend a Private Message to lateFormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Solo take Kurt's directions as he provided in the post immediately above this one. I heard on the radio this morning that I-96 through Livonia was opened this morning (construction is completed), so you will have a portion of your drive on freshly paved freeway.
solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2014 01:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Gentlemen. Thank you! I now am planning on leaving a little early. Sounds like 96 to 275 to Michigan to Henry Ford Museum is good. I have the MDOT site saved as a favorite on my computer at home. Hopefully Michigan St is in good condition. If conditions improve(no construction) I may take 96 to 275 to 96 to 39.

Thanks again on the travel conditions and routes. GVSU, one of my daughters graduated from GVSU. So two of you traveled down Lake Michigan Drive/M-45. Are you familiar with the Fuller street exit on I-196 in GR? Take that north a mile or so and that's were I live.

Steve
pHoOl

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2014 12:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pHoOlClick Here to visit pHoOl's HomePageSend a Private Message to pHoOlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yep! I know abouts where you're talking about. I graduated GVSU in 04, and my earlier years 00,01 I had a white 88GT out there. I think I met up at Brann's steakhouse a few times for a west michigan fiero club. ahhhhh back in the day!
KurtAKX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2014 07:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KurtAKXSend a Private Message to KurtAKXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by solotwo:

Gentlemen. Thank you! I now am planning on leaving a little early. Sounds like 96 to 275 to Michigan to Henry Ford Museum is good. I have the MDOT site saved as a favorite on my computer at home. Hopefully Michigan St is in good condition. If conditions improve(no construction) I may take 96 to 275 to 96 to 39.

Steve

Michigan Ave. is going to make your trip take longer- a lot more stops, and a part of it goes through crappy parts of town.
gen2muchwork

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2014 11:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gen2muchworkSend a Private Message to gen2muchworkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by KurtAKX:

Michigan Ave. is going to make your trip take longer- a lot more stops, and a part of it goes through crappy parts of town.

It's not that bad. Have a good time in Dearborn, the museum is fun you will see some cool cars there. I'll keep my eye out for a lowered fiero around the neighborhood.

PFF
System Bot
solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2014 02:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by gen2muchwork:

It's not that bad. Have a good time in Dearborn, the museum is fun you will see some cool cars there. I'll keep my eye out for a lowered fiero around the neighborhood.

With bad paint. LOL Hopefully it doesn't break down.
KurtAKX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2014 04:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KurtAKXSend a Private Message to KurtAKXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by gen2muchwork:

Do you have a silver 87 coupe?
solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2014 01:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well I will be taking off soon. I am thinking 96 to 275 to 96 to Southfield Hwy. Or 96 to 696 to Southfield Hwy. I looked at them both on MDOT and it doesn't look like a lot if any construction. Should be fun.
KurtAKX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2014 02:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KurtAKXSend a Private Message to KurtAKXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by solotwo:

Well I will be taking off soon. I am thinking 96 to 275 to 96 to Southfield Hwy. Or 96 to 696 to Southfield Hwy. I looked at them both on MDOT and it doesn't look like a lot if any construction. Should be fun.

96-275-96-Southfield.

Part of that route is brand new pavement.
solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2014 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Took the route on Friday and it worked out to be a good one. Came home late Friday evening and traveled with a few cars that were moving along nicely. I left the resturaunt in Dearborn about 9:45-9:50 and got home at 12:15. Made a couple of fuel stops as I look for a gas station when the gage is reading below 5/8 full. Fiero ran good Friday, think the long trip did it some good. When I had the 88 w/2.5, it ran better after a long trip.
But on Saturday we had the wife's car with SirusXM and I was listening to the Detroit weather/traffic station while she was in getting her face done in Farmington for the wedding and heard there was a mess on 275 so we went south until we came to 96.
KurtAKX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2014 10:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KurtAKXSend a Private Message to KurtAKXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, I don't know what was going on with 275, I got caught up in that traveling to IKEA.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock