Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  any opinions on these types of hoists to work on a Fiero?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
any opinions on these types of hoists to work on a Fiero? by cam-a-lot
Started on: 09-21-2014 10:06 AM
Replies: 11 (442 views)
Last post by: Dennis LaGrua on 09-23-2014 04:31 PM
cam-a-lot

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2014 10:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
http://www.liftsuperstore.c...MSC6K_literature.pdf

Anyone with real life experience with a similar hoist system, please chime in. Looks like I don't have room for a 2 post

thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
mental floss

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-21-2014 10:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mental flossSend a Private Message to mental flossEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
EDIT: If they can't spell accommodate and plenty correctly, I'd question their judgment on it's structural safety.

I don't (have experience on this one), but looking at the design it is paramount that the surface it's sitting on be level and the I wouldn't recommend approaching the stated 6000 lb capacity. I'd suggest (2) safety jacks under the side opposite of the operating cylinder which keep the car from bouncing. The moment on the mechanism from the lever action of wrenching on the opposing side would tattoo on my mind that there have to be Chinese parts in that lift.

For a small car, it looks like it could serve a purpose. Spending the money on a two post or 4 would be my suggestion.

[This message has been edited by mental floss (edited 09-21-2014).]

Lunatic

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2014 02:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LunaticSend a Private Message to LunaticEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think you have the room for a two post hoist. But your boat will have to sit outside! Lol. It looks like an okay unit for doing minor work though. I just hope you can roll it under the Fiero, which is already low to begin with.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2014 02:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It says the lift pads are 5" high. Will likely be marginal for a Fiero, especially a lowered one.

Having said that...

From the PDF:
Thick 13’ x 10’ column
Single 3’ x 36’ cylinder
72’ lift height

Seventy two FEET?! Must be a big sumbitch.
Scottzilla79

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2014 12:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Scottzilla79Send a Private Message to Scottzilla79Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm no engineer but that looks like a jacked up pallet jack.
Anyway, would this work for you?
http://www.northerntool.com..._200386167_200386167

[This message has been edited by Scottzilla79 (edited 09-23-2014).]

Canyonflyer

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2014 12:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CanyonflyerSend a Private Message to CanyonflyerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have that very Max Jax two post lift for my shop. I got it from bestbuy auto equipment for just over 2000 shipped. It was kind of a pain in the ass to assemble but once I got it bled it works great. I use a couple of long boards on the forward pads to spread the load across the floor pans and not crush anything. Since I have got it Its made engine and exhaust work sooooo much easier.
cyrus88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2014 01:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cyrus88Send a Private Message to cyrus88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It weights 1393 lbs and unless the car's entire weight is on the outside pads, falling over doesn't seem like an issue. I'd buy it if I had the money.

[This message has been edited by cyrus88 (edited 09-23-2014).]

cam-a-lot

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2014 06:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Canyonflyer:

I have that very Max Jax two post lift for my shop. I got it from bestbuy auto equipment for just over 2000 shipped. It was kind of a pain in the ass to assemble but once I got it bled it works great. I use a couple of long boards on the forward pads to spread the load across the floor pans and not crush anything. Since I have got it Its made engine and exhaust work sooooo much easier.

Any chance you could please post some pics of your car (or preferably a Fiero) sitting on this hoist so I can better visualize it?

thanks!
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2014 03:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks like the brochure was thrown together by a high school student during his/her lunch break.

Also, I bet maneuvering that 1390 lb thing around must get old after awhile.
Canyonflyer

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2014 04:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CanyonflyerSend a Private Message to CanyonflyerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cam-a-lot:

Any chance you could please post some pics of your car (or preferably a Fiero) sitting on this hoist so I can better visualize it?

thanks!

Sure...

The lift is removable, so the hydraulic lines can be disconnected and the posts unbolted from the floor for storage. They have wheels on the posts so they're easily maneuverable..

My shop also has a 12 foot tall ceiling. My Fieros can be lifted up to the max height of 44 inches without any clearance issues. The hood and rear decklid have been open when I have lifted it and they will touch the bottom of my hanging ceiling lights which hang about a foot below the roof joists. If you have a lower ceiling make sure you check the clearances, though, I imagine, even with an 8 foot garage ceiling, the cars would probably still be able to be lifted to max capacity.

So photos:

My GT on the lift

My 85 Fiero Sport on the lift while doing my LeMons racecar build

Me helping a friend a fellow Fiero owner with the exhaust on his Formula

My neighbor busted his shifter on his civic last thanksgiving... so rather than jack it up in the dark, I told him to bring it over... fixed it in 20 minutes and he didn't have to lay down on his back in the dark on a cold driveway

When I redid the exhaust on my 86 GT... this is what finally nudged me to get the lift... I had put up with crawling around under the car long enough and put off this purchase for too long. When I finally got under there the last time and was having trouble getting the headpipe loose... I said that's it. I'm not touching the car until I get the max jax. And I didn't.

I hope this helps... If there's any other questions about it, please let me know,.

[This message has been edited by Canyonflyer (edited 09-23-2014).]

jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2014 04:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It should work... but man, it just doesn't look right

PFF
System Bot
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2014 04:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That single post lift might work, but I wouldn't get under it. Its also Chinese made and if they say its good for 6000 lbs its probably good for 4,000 lbs. Most places that carried those single posts lifts no longer do. You have to really understand the center of gravity on a car and put the lift arms there before using this type of lift. With a small two leg base this is critical to safety.
We have a commercial 9000 lb Rotary 2 post lift here and its so strong that quality and safety is built into it. Its built in Indiana not China. . We also had a scissors lift that was great for work that needed 48" max lift. It was Chinese but held up. If you have 6"of steel reinforced concrete in your garage you can go 2 post, You can get by with 4" (as long as its steel reinforced) but 6" is better. If the situation allows I would recommend going with a quality two post lift securely anchored to a concrete floor. .

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock