Started on: 09-20-2014 09:18 PM
Replies: 172 (4686 views)
Last post by: formulaWA on 02-24-2019 12:11 PM
dobey

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post09-30-2014 01:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:
I had those issues with the 4 speed stick but not the 5 speed. The 5 speed felt like my 90 Grand am 5 speed I had a while back. I think like most sticks you just have to get the feel of that particular car and pattern. I actually usually prefer stick shift cars even in reliability to autos because auto trannys seem to wear out no matter what maintinence ifs performed or driving habits. With a stick it seems like if I know how to use a clutch right it keeps on truckin. I've only had to work on clutch hydraulics on Fieros that were neglected and sat for years. But thats just my experience.

+1

Most all manual transmissions made in the last 30 years are basically maintenance free. Flush and fill the hydraulic system every couple of years, and replace the clutch if needed after 30 years and they will generally last. Never had any real problems finding gears on any of the manual cars I've driven, unless the clutch was slipping or air in the fluid. Even with the very soft clutch pedal and slipping clutch, combined with the very narrow shift gate in my del Sol, I don't have a problem finding gears in it. I see the guys with the F40 swaps have a little trouble finding first when leaving a show sometimes though, but I think that's just due to the reverse lockout being very easy to get by on the 4 speed shifter being used with the 6 speed.

I certainly look straight past Fieros for sale that are automatics. Ironically, when running through my mind with the possibility of getting a 2015 Corvette Z06, I keep leaning slightly more toward the 8 speed automatic.
IP: Logged
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-30-2014 01:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

dobey

11572 posts
Member since Sep 2001

Originally posted by johnyrottin:
I kind of like the ease and simplicity of the auto...just wish it had a 4 speed auto instead of the 3 speed.

Don't buy a new Ferrari. 7 speeds and top gear is 1:1. Great for racing on a road course, but not so much for cruising on the highway for a 2-3 hour road trip.
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2014 08:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

I had those issues with the 4 speed stick but not the 5 speed. The 5 speed felt like my 90 Grand am 5 speed I had a while back. I think like most sticks you just have to get the feel of that particular car and pattern. I actually usually prefer stick shift cars even in reliability to autos because auto trannys seem to wear out no matter what maintinence ifs performed or driving habits. With a stick it seems like if I know how to use a clutch right it keeps on truckin. I've only had to work on clutch hydraulics on Fieros that were neglected and sat for years. But thats just my experience.

Yes you do have to get a feel for most cable shifted cars as they each have a feel of their own due to wear and adjustment.

As for reliability that is not really an issue as most automatics will last for much longer than most car will be on the road. Change the fluid and that is it. In a manual depending on the driver clutches are more often to fail and in this cars case is not something many people can or want to change at home.

I love driving a stick and on weekends it is my favorite deal. But in traffic I rather just stick it in gear and go for the daily drive to work and back.

This is one of those deals where there is no right or wrong just personal preference.

I remember tearing out the clutch in my old Chevelle. It just twisted it in half. I had to dog the car home as it would not release. I was lucky it did not let go all the way. But that one was an easy two hour change in the garage.
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2014 08:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

hyperv6

6001 posts
Member since Mar 2003

Originally posted by johnyrottin:

Not meaning to be negative or anything but...

Currently 90% of vehicles are purchased with Auto trannys with 10% being manual. Just heard that tidbit a few days ago on the news somewhere. Not sure about Fieros being more desirable if they are manuals. I don't desire them more. I kind of like the ease and simplicity of the auto...just wish it had a 4 speed auto instead of the 3 speed.

Yes I saw similar numbers and they were down to 7% of cars sold in the story I read. The truth is so many people today can not even drive a manual. My wife has never driven one and when I took a Corvette out hammered it around a bit I took my young son who had never been in a manual car with me before wondered why I was shifting all the time.

While they are trying to hold on many MFG will stop production of a full manual box in the near future. Ferrari if what I read was true is down to one model that is a full standard manual not assisted in any way. Who would have ever thought that would happen? Others are making less and less.

The lack of people buying and the difficulty of meeting emission are really making it tough. Even the automatic cars like the Camaro SS are now as fast or faster with the Automatic in some cases.

I do agree I wish the Fiero auto was 4 speed. I often wondered how the 6 speed would feel with the 2.8 as I have two of these in a couple of other cars. It is smooth and seamless.

formulaWA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

formulaWA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

formulaWA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

formulaWA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2014 08:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for formulaWASend a Private Message to formulaWAEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

formulaWA

318 posts
Member since May 2004
formulaWA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2014 09:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for formulaWASend a Private Message to formulaWAEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

formulaWA

318 posts
Member since May 2004
formulaWA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2014 09:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for formulaWASend a Private Message to formulaWAEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

formulaWA

318 posts
Member since May 2004
and here we have the very rare 4 cylinder tbar GT with 7k

http://www.chooseyouritem.c...500500/21500749.html
johnyrottin

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2014 02:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by formulaWA:

and here we have the very rare 4 cylinder tbar GT with 7k

http://www.chooseyouritem.c...500500/21500749.html

I think this is the one that is so rare Pontiac doesn't even know about it!
PFF
System Bot
mckaymotoworks

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2014 03:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mckaymotoworksClick Here to visit mckaymotoworks's HomePageSend a Private Message to mckaymotoworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I paid $1300 for mine, 2 owner former Bowling Green Corvette employees, 96K on odometer, 40K on the recall engine, had been sitting for 17 years, only the paint and headliner show it.

[This message has been edited by mckaymotoworks (edited 11-04-2014).]

formulaWA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

formulaWA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

formulaWA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

JJFieroFan

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2014 10:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JJFieroFanSend a Private Message to JJFieroFanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Be wary about low mileage cars. I thought it was fairly easy to roll back the odometer. Let condition be the determining factor on any purchase and don't get carried away about mileage you can't verify. My GT has more miles than I would like, but it is in great condition and was always garaged. Having had another one that was lower miles and nice but not tip top condition, I get the difference. When I look at pictures of low mileage cars I am skeptical. Or, I see that they have sat, and that they may as well have more miles on them because they have so many needs. Just get one that was well loved and for a fair price and you will be fine. There are An awful lot of unused cars showing up all of a sudden. Fieros are a little older now and people think they are worth $$$$ so they roll back miles..... Just my opinion, but many of these cars look used up for such "low miles."
formulaWA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2015 11:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for formulaWASend a Private Message to formulaWAEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
formulaWA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2015 11:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for formulaWASend a Private Message to formulaWAEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

formulaWA

318 posts
Member since May 2004
Cokeologist

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2015 06:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CokeologistSend a Private Message to CokeologistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
jim94

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2015 05:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jim94Send a Private Message to jim94Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In 2010 my gt purchased on eBay had 29,500 miles on it. I am the 4 owner and it was garage kept it's hole life.it now has 62,000 miles and runs great,idles like new and gets 30 mpg. The only car I own. If it went up in value my wife would been very Happy.
formulaWA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2015 02:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for formulaWASend a Private Message to formulaWAEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
1987 Silver GT 18,000 miles $15,000

silver gt
PFF
System Bot
formulaWA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2015 02:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for formulaWASend a Private Message to formulaWAEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
1985 red GT 1,500 miles $25,000

red gt
mrfred8

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2015 07:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfred8Click Here to visit mrfred8's HomePageSend a Private Message to mrfred8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by formulaWA:

1985 red GT 1,500 miles $25,000

red gt

This is the same car that just sold at mecum auction for 17k.
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2015 08:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Somehow, I don't expect them to turn a quick profit of $8 grand.

[This message has been edited by tshark (edited 02-07-2015).]

pcgold

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2015 12:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pcgoldSend a Private Message to pcgoldEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I guess this would be a low mileage Fiero. 27,000km is about 16,777 miles. Good price if correct miles, but something just doesn't seem right though.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars...hNavigationFlag=true
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2015 12:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Damaged? Can't tell 4- or 6-cyl. Suspect 4, which would seem pricey. Starter just broke. Easy enough for someone local to check out.

[This message has been edited by tshark (edited 02-07-2015).]

BV MotorSports

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 189
Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2015 02:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
14k mile 88 GT 5 speed here. I also "own" a 29k mile 1986 DGP Fiero.
E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post02-07-2015 06:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
low mile cars, ho hum.. that tells me the owners didn't enjoy them.
I can understand a 2 seater only having 60k.. as ,to many ,it was the fun car not the daily..
but the ones floating around with a few thousand miles,, or 10k.. what a waste..
it might look like new, but It'll need more work than most sold with 80-100k on them.

[This message has been edited by E.Furgal (edited 02-07-2015).]

Pontiacguy86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2015 05:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Pontiacguy86Send a Private Message to Pontiacguy86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
just picked up an 88 formula with 33k
BV MotorSports

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 189
Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2015 07:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by E.Furgal:

low mile cars, ho hum.. that tells me the owners didn't enjoy them.
I can understand a 2 seater only having 60k.. as ,to many ,it was the fun car not the daily..
but the ones floating around with a few thousand miles,, or 10k.. what a waste..
it might look like new, but It'll need more work than most sold with 80-100k on them.

You have a very narrow-minded view of "enjoyment". Just because someone enjoys their car in ways that you do not, doesnt make their vehicle a "waste". Seriously. open you mind to new and different things.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-09-2015 08:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BV MotorSports:

You have a very narrow-minded view of "enjoyment". Just because someone enjoys their car in ways that you do not, doesnt make their vehicle a "waste". Seriously. open you mind to new and different things.

Haha. Yeah. I'm sure a low mileage 250 GTO California that's now worth several tens of millions of dollars was a total waste for the original owners. :P
PFF
System Bot
E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-09-2015 09:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BV MotorSports:

It's a car, not art... ment to be driven, sure some like looking in a garage and see'n a car they like in it, then closing the garage door again,, I have an open mind, but I think it's a waste,
rolling down the road, is more fun than staring at it through a window, daydreaming about driving it..

just because I have an opinion doesn't mean I don't have an open mind,, But after going with my dad to warehouses of people he's painted cars for, and see'n vehicles that haven't moved in years because the owner see's them as more of an investment than a vehicle to be driven, to feel it run through the gears, seen by others, not just garage art..
I watch B/J and see a line of vehicles that do nothing but go from one warehouse to another, not my cup of tea..
A fiero that's 30 years old with 1500 miles, 3000 miles etc.. wasn't used.. it's a car not a photo of one..

[This message has been edited by E.Furgal (edited 02-09-2015).]

E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-09-2015 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

E.Furgal

11708 posts
Member since Mar 2012

Originally posted by dobey:

Haha. Yeah. I'm sure a low mileage 250 GTO California that's now worth several tens of millions of dollars was a total waste for the original owners. :P

yup, it was, as an owner of a vehicle like that, money isn't a problem for them in the first place.. so the value(dollar worth) is meaningless to them..
and those that thought of it as nothing more than an investment and nothing more, don't see it as a vehicle/car it's just another item of value..
and that wasn't what enzo had invisioned when his company, designed and built it..

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2015 08:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Pontiacguy86:

just picked up an 88 formula with 33k

Very nice find.
formulaWA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2015 10:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for formulaWASend a Private Message to formulaWAEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Beautiful car Ebay $8,000 starting bid Yellow 88 formula, automatic 2,000 original miles (if it had t-bars I wouldn't b posting it here I would b buying) but I already have 2 solid roof Fieros

Yellow Formula
formulaWA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2015 11:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for formulaWASend a Private Message to formulaWAEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
88 GT with 4,000 miles 88 GT
formulaWA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2015 11:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for formulaWASend a Private Message to formulaWAEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

formulaWA

318 posts
Member since May 2004
Another 87 GT this one has 7,000 miles 87 GT

[This message has been edited by formulaWA (edited 08-11-2015).]

formulaWA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2015 11:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for formulaWASend a Private Message to formulaWAEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

formulaWA

318 posts
Member since May 2004
86 4 cylinder 17,000 miles 86 COupe
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2015 06:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
But how can there be so many Fiero's for sale and low miles when people say there are none LOL!

This is why I say take your time and buy the best unrestored one with the lowest miles you can afford. In the long run it is cheaper for many. Parts and paint are not cheap and add up over time.

This is not just For Fiero's but for most collector cars,
johnyrottin

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2015 08:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have two low mile Fieros. Hulki's white 88 GT has 5900 miles and my red 88 GT TTop has 13,000 miles.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock