New Mustang 2.3 4 cyclinder by Csjag
Started on: 09-18-2014 08:02 AM
Replies: 13 (382 views)
Last post by: hyperv6 on 09-20-2014 03:35 PM
Csjag

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2014 08:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Has anyone noticed the horsepower rating on the 4 cylinder that will be in the 2015 Mustang? Over 300 hp from a 2.3 liter, wow!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post09-18-2014 10:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You going to swap one into a Fiero?
mental floss

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-18-2014 10:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mental flossSend a Private Message to mental flossEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In the 80s they destroked that version of the 2.3 block and got 1100 hp or something insane like that. Is the present 2.3 a similar design aa that one?
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-18-2014 11:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mental floss:

In the 80s they destroked that version of the 2.3 block and got 1100 hp or something insane like that. Is the present 2.3 a similar design aa that one?

It's just a turbocharged 4 cylinder with all the conveniences of modern technology. The 2.0 LNF is a little more conservative and easily makes over 300 HP in stock form with only a flashing of the ECM with a different tune.
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2014 11:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

You going to swap one into a Fiero?

Wouldn't that be something!! Way beyond my budget though and it probably would be a sacrilege too.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-18-2014 12:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Csjag:
Wouldn't that be something!! Way beyond my budget though and it probably would be a sacrilege too.

Well, this is a Fiero forum, so posts should be about Fieros in some way. There's an "Other Cars" forum to post in if you want to discuss other cars, though.
jsmorter

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2014 04:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jsmorterSend a Private Message to jsmorterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
back in the day I put a 2.3 turbo in my 85 mustang. Turned up the boost a little and it made first gear useless. I know of one guy that was getting 400 hp out of his stock 2.3. It was probably one of the best engines ford ever made. We all wish our dukes were as good. Of course the mustang became a rustang which is why I drive fieros now.

[This message has been edited by jsmorter (edited 09-18-2014).]

mental floss

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-18-2014 05:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mental flossSend a Private Message to mental flossEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Back then the head (intake side) waa a limiting factor. I drove one of the Turbo versions back then for a while. It had lights in the hood indicating boost and overboost.
Esslinger Engineering had an aftermarket head that straightened out the intake runners

hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2014 06:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not a big deal as my daily driver is the GM Ecotec from 2008 with 290 HP and 315 FT LBS. If it had a stronger tranny it would easily go higher. The engine will take 400 HP with no internal mods and up to 500 HP with rods, pistons and valves.

Note I hit 23 PSI daily with no issues and the full GM warranty.

The boost in power was with the GM Turbo Upgrade kit that only requires two 3 bar maps and a flash.

The Solstice with the same kit get 340 FT LBS with out even breathing hard.

GM's turbo was first and is still better but so few people really know or understand much about it since it has been marketed so poorly. I hated 4 cylinders and Turbo engines but now I am as happy as can be. VVT cams and DI fuel systems are just fantastic for Turbo system that are built right.
jsmorter

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2014 07:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jsmorterSend a Private Message to jsmorterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is this daily driver a fiero?
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2014 11:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cadillac has a 2.0L turbo 4-cylinder making 270hp
http://media.gm.com/media/u...11/Dec/1214_ats.html

------------------
Calgary time/temp

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT Click me
Super Duty 4 Indy #163 Click me

PFF
System Bot
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2014 12:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

Well, this is a Fiero forum, so posts should be about Fieros in some way. There's an "Other Cars" forum to post in if you want to discuss other cars, though.

I agree. Pretty soon I'm going to start a thread on lawn care since no one pays attention to where they post anymore.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-20-2014 01:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

I agree. Pretty soon I'm going to start a thread on lawn care since no one pays attention to where they post anymore.

Briggs & Straton with a hydrostatic trans in a Fiero?
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2014 03:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jsmorter:

Is this daily driver a fiero?

No a 2008 HHR SS.

I would love to have this engine in my Fiero as I go from it to the Fiero and the 2.8 almost feels like something is wrong compared to it.

The only concern I would have with the swap would be heat. You would have to use care in addressing the heat as it would effect all electrical bits as you do not have a lot of air flow in the engine compartment.

with so many on the road today they will get cheaper soon and they are durable. I expect we will see more swaps and more ways to deal with the heat as people find solutions I the Fiero.

Also you would need to locate the intercooler some where.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock