150 MPH Speedo by Angellightning
Started on: 09-14-2014 07:20 PM
Replies: 8 (932 views)
Last post by: rogergarrison on 09-15-2014 07:46 PM
Angellightning

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2014 07:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AngellightningSend a Private Message to AngellightningEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Anybody ever seen something like this? It's in an '85 GT 4 speed Copart car:

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post09-14-2014 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's not OEM. OEM gauges all had 55 MPH marked in red. There was never a 150 MPH gauge option, especially in the 85 GT.

The 85 MPH speedos did read 140 KMH though, and people have had new faces made where the KMH numbers are marked as MPH, though. An electronic buffer would also need to be added to have the speed read correctly with such a change.
mental floss

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-14-2014 08:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mental flossSend a Private Message to mental flossEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ditto the k/hr from some cars in Canada, which have been calibrated to m/hr.

[This message has been edited by mental floss (edited 09-14-2014).]

yellow peril

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2014 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellow perilSend a Private Message to yellow perilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I seem to recall someone on here had an indy car with a 150 speedo. maybe its an indy thing.
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2014 12:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's obviously a custom gauge, as the bottom of the gauge has lettering on it saying "World Wide Fiero Club". It can be pretty much surmised that it didn't come from the factory that way.

World Wide Fiero Club was a Fiero car club, that used to put out a newsletter, "Fiero Secrets" that covered all sorts of Fiero related topics and repair instructions.

Also, from doing all of the Fiero Reproduction Stickers and working with TONS of Fiero fonts, the one on the 150MPH speedometer does not match any of the Fiero fonts that I have come across. Have a look at the "2" on the speedometer, and the "2" on the Tachometer, they are entirely different. 99% of the time, all the gauges in a particular car use the same exact fonts throughout all of the gauges. You can clearly see two entirely different fonts on the Speedometer and the tachometer.

[This message has been edited by JohnWPB (edited 09-15-2014).]

hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2014 07:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The World wide Fiero Club and FOOCA both offered conversion kits where you changed out a capacitor in the gauge and it would change the speed. They would give you a decal overlay for the gauge face or a new face to put on.

Companies like Coparts takes in Cores from bad speedometers and recalibrates them for rebuilds. Someone may have sent this in and got back an 120 or 85 in place of it.

I have the FOOCA one and they used a decal that carried the numbers to 200 MPH. I has issues with the decal going back do a Graphic Artist friend made a new one for me and put it on some high grade material that overlaid my speedo and even put my last name on it and several other variations.

I remember these for sale and have not seen one in years. I bet someone hated this one getting away.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2014 08:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hyperv6:

The World wide Fiero Club and FOOCA both offered conversion kits where you changed out a capacitor in the gauge and it would change the speed.
They would give you a decal overlay for the gauge face or a new face to put on.

My Indy had one of these kits already installed by the Original Owner.
Extended tachometer reading as well for the SD4 engine.

------------------
Calgary time/temp

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT Click me
Super Duty 4 Indy #163 Click me

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 09-15-2014).]

Angellightning

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2014 09:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AngellightningSend a Private Message to AngellightningEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I totally failed to notice the Worldwide Fiero Club lettering in the gauge. It sort of looks like a stock 2.5L speedometer font wise.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2014 07:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had their custom faces and kits on my Ferrari kit. I had a 200 mph speedo and I believe a 9000 rpm tach.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock