Bumper heat shields in carbon fiber? by Bridgetown
Started on: 09-14-2014 11:31 AM
Replies: 15 (597 views)
Last post by: dobey on 09-17-2014 09:28 AM
Bridgetown

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2014 11:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BridgetownSend a Private Message to BridgetownEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My new "race" exhaust with no mufflers gets quite a bit hotter then my old system, and subsequently has melted some paint on my GT bumper.
I'm wondering if anyone makes, or has made heat shields that fit into the tailpipe openings in the GT rear bumper? Similar to what is available to many other cars.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
California Kid

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2014 12:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Haven't seen anyone post a custom shield as you described.

Regarding your heat issue, hard to make any recommendations without seeing pictures of your custom exhaust, exhaust tips, and location to bumper. Typically a very hot tailpipe is the result of running to lean, timing advance too far, or in some cases running too rich. Also sometimes a small leak in the exhaust, depending on location, can suck in fresh air which can also result in high exhaust system temps (as it helps ignite any UN-burnt fuel).
jmbishop

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 169
Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2014 02:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Heat is a problem with diesels as well. One solution is this.
Bridgetown

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2014 10:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BridgetownSend a Private Message to BridgetownEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well according to my wideband, the car isn't running lean, if anything its running a hair rich. The new exhaust has no muffler at all, and uses the c5 tips that were on my old system, and in exactly the same location in regards to proximity to the bumper. The old exhaust system never got as hot, and I can only assume its because it was a bit smaller diameter (2-1/4 vs. 2-1/2) and had a muffler.
This is a picture of the same system I have on my car now.

[This message has been edited by Bridgetown (edited 09-14-2014).]

California Kid

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2014 11:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
With the engine you have in your car, I would also suspect the 2 1/4 inch exhaust is causing the heat increase. If you are set on the high end of ignition timing, that will also jack up the temperature.

Based on your comment that system ran cooler when muffler was present, it could be that the muffler acted like a scavenger improving your exhaust flow, that in effect would not only improve performance, but can also reduce exhaust pipe temp a bit.

Just my thoughts on your issue.

Not that I have a heat issue, but I think it would be great if someone produced some great looking carbon fiber shields for this area (at a reasonable price). It would add a very nice cosmetic touch to the rear of the car, if they wrapped slightly to the flush surface of lower bumper, and also covered entire pocket.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2014 09:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Would a double wall tip help?
California Kid

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2014 12:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

Would a double wall tip help?

Don't think that is going to help, heat transmission is coming for the rest of the exhaust system.
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2014 12:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ceramic coat the exhaust?
Bridgetown

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2014 10:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BridgetownSend a Private Message to BridgetownEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by California Kid:

With the engine you have in your car, I would also suspect the 2 1/4 inch exhaust is causing the heat increase. If you are set on the high end of ignition timing, that will also jack up the temperature.

The old system was 2-1/4" the new one is 2-1/2"
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post09-15-2014 11:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The problem is you only have a test pipe, no cat, and no muffler. There are fewer bends than the stock exhaust, and no large chambers to drop the pressure and slow the gases down. Combined with a coated exhaust system, the heat is staying in the system until the tips.

I'm not sure adding a bit of carbon fiber to the body, above the tips, will really help much. A decent muffler would do wonders for you though. Even a resonator in the front to rear transfer that goes under the cradle, would help a little.
California Kid

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2014 11:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bridgetown:

The old system was 2-1/4" the new one is 2-1/2"

My bad, mis-read it.

Even with the 2 1/2" the culprit could be it's 2 1/2" thru the entire system. As said by poster above the system is not allowing any expansion, or gas slow down. One way to look at a muffler is that they do act like a heat sink, and reduce tailpipe temp. The trick is to find a muffler that doesn't restrict flow much and gives you the sound you like.

I know we aren't running same engine, but my systems uses Sanderson cc90 headers, to 2 1/2", to 3" collector, to FlowMaster 3" inlet thru pipe, and out stock tips.
PFF
System Bot

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2014 08:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Drop the pipe farther from the plastic maybe.
Bridgetown

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2014 12:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BridgetownSend a Private Message to BridgetownEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

I'm not sure adding a bit of carbon fiber to the body, above the tips, will really help much. A decent muffler would do wonders for you though. Even a resonator in the front to rear transfer that goes under the cradle, would help a little.

Originally posted by 2.5:

Drop the pipe farther from the plastic maybe.

The issue with these solutions is ground clearence. My car is pretty low, so putting a muffler in the above mentioned location wouldn't work, and lowering the system won't work either, as it is already the lowest point on the car, and does occationally "kiss" the pavement under hard driving.
I think that the solution might be adding a muffler in place of the existing resonator, and adding some paint protection in the form of a heat shield.
Bridgetown

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2014 12:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BridgetownSend a Private Message to BridgetownEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Bridgetown

1210 posts
Member since Feb 2007
i found a few STI guys using this product on the exhaust tip pockets of their cars.
http://www.heatshieldproduc...barriers/lava-shield
seems like it might be just the thing I need.

Hers one guys install of it
https://www.toronto-subaru-...exhaust-garnish.html

If that stuff can be contoured around that shape, the pockets for the tips on the fastback bumper should be a cinch.

[This message has been edited by Bridgetown (edited 09-17-2014).]

California Kid

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2014 08:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just might be the ticket, if you have an IR gun check temp on exhaust pipe area first to see if it's within limits.
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post09-17-2014 09:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bridgetown:

The issue with these solutions is ground clearence. My car is pretty low, so putting a muffler in the above mentioned location wouldn't work, and lowering the system won't work either, as it is already the lowest point on the car, and does occationally "kiss" the pavement under hard driving.
I think that the solution might be adding a muffler in place of the existing resonator, and adding some paint protection in the form of a heat shield.

I would put a cat where the test pipe is in that exhaust. If that doesn't help, I would then rework the rear section back to factory style with a muflfer in the stock location.

There are plenty of reasons why the eBay posting for that exhaust says "off road use only" in it, and your heat issue is one of those reasons.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock