Replacement Struts? 86 car by DKcustoms
Started on: 09-10-2014 09:29 PM
Replies: 9 (228 views)
Last post by: KurtAKX on 09-12-2014 03:48 PM
DKcustoms

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2014 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DKcustomsSend a Private Message to DKcustomsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What is most appropriate replacement struts for the 84-87 cars?

I'm upgrading my springs up front and doing coilovers in the rear, so I might as well do the struts up front at the same time.
Keep in mind, the car will be driven fairly hard, I'd like to go to the track once in a while as well.

Additionally, where can I get new control arms, brackets, bolts?
I have poly bushings, but I'd hate to put them in these rusted things.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2014 09:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DKcustoms:

What is most appropriate replacement struts for the 84-87 cars?

I'm upgrading my springs up front and doing coilovers in the rear, so I might as well do the struts up front at the same time.

Struts are in the back. Shocks are in the front. (Edited to add that I'm referring to Fieros. On front wheel drive vehicles it can be the other way around.)

Every couple of weeks, someone asks this same question. And then everyone else responds with the same thing about their choice of Koni or KYB or Monroe Sensa-Tracs etc.

It boils down to mostly how much money you wish to spend.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 09-11-2014).]

DKcustoms

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2014 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DKcustomsSend a Private Message to DKcustomsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Struts are in the back. Shocks are in the front.

Every couple of weeks, someone asks this same question. And then everyone else responds with the same thing about their choice of Koni or KYB or Monroe Sensa-Tracs etc.

It boils down to mostly how much money you wish to spend.

Thanks for clearing that up, we use "shocks" more for trucks and offroad toys unofficially in conversation I guess.

But is there a specific model or anything I should purchase or am I purchasing based on length/compression and weight?

[This message has been edited by DKcustoms (edited 09-10-2014).]

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2014 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DKcustoms:

But is there a specific model or anything I should purchase or am I purchasing based on length/compression and weight?

I don't know how many choices you think might be available, but basically each manufacturer will have one model of shock and strut for a Fiero. (The '88 uses a different shock than '84-'87.)
Kitskaboodle

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2014 11:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well , I can tell you what I don't recommend and that is KYB. I have had them on many cars and have found that they tend to get weak in short order. (within 8-10K miles)
Kit
zzzhuh

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2014 12:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for zzzhuhSend a Private Message to zzzhuhEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If your going to be driving them hard, Koni's really are the best. Haven't heard anything bad about them, and they cost about the same as KYB's.

------------------
Every fiero has a story, It's our job to keep that story alive.

thesameguy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2014 03:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for thesameguySend a Private Message to thesameguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Konis, for real. Might give a shout to Redshift Motorsports - usually cheaper than TireRack by quite a bit.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2014 08:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like Monroe... FWIW.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2014 08:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Check out Monroe and Gabriel brands for a stock OEM ride and KYB if you want to firm up the ride and improve handling a bit.. As for the Konis, great reputation, but I have never used them and don't have any feedback on the brand. .

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

KurtAKX

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2014 03:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KurtAKXSend a Private Message to KurtAKXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by zzzhuh:

If your going to be driving them hard, Koni's really are the best. Haven't heard anything bad about them, and they cost about the same as KYB's.

In my experience, the Koni replacements are SUBSTANTIALLY more money than KYB.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock