Started on: 09-02-2014 12:49 AM
Replies: 19 (1057 views)
Last post by: Phirewire on 12-22-2019 08:21 PM
mmeyer86gt/gtp

Feedback score:    (161)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 73
Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2014 12:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mmeyer86gt/gtpSend a Private Message to mmeyer86gt/gtpEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
MANY people have asked when i will be doing steering wheels and while i have done some and i am almost done with a final pattern i asked my wife what she thought and her first question was what would the legality of this be if someone found that removal and installation of the steering wheel caused a car crash. So i contacted a lawyer and insurance firm to see what my premiums would be to cover me and holy crap i was not expecting what the cost would be and how long i would have to maintain it if i went that route. So i had another thought. To sell a kit i send you the foam and leather ready to be put on with the holes punched so someone can install it them selves at a much discounted price because i would not have much labor involved in it. Would the fiero community be interested in this. Last i heard dallas steering wheel charged someone north of 350 for a steering wheel recover. i am looking at the kit to cost some where between 125 - 175. You would have to remove the leather and brown goo from your steering wheel put on the steering wheel leather and stitch it up with the thread provided. What are your thoughts? Tooling to go this route might take about 4-5 months and the costs for setup would be pretty steep so i am just gauging interest.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
crt454

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2014 01:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for crt454Send a Private Message to crt454Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was just thinking about this the other day. Well actually thinking if I could just replace the padding in the wheel and re-stitch the old leather, however new leather already ready would be even better. Would you include instructions on how to do the stitching? I think you have a great idea.
Danyel

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 171
Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2014 07:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

------------------

My Build Thread
Tylers Toy

JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2014 07:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like the idea. The kit should have everything needed though, as not many people have large darning style needles laying around.

On another though, did you ask you lawyer about a disclaimer form that people would have to sign? I mean you are one major step outside the process, as you are not the one removing or reinstalling the steering wheel. If you were the one actually doing that, I could see problems. But as the end user is doing that work, you "should" not be able to be held liable.

Now, as far as DOT and construction, thread, materials, padding and all that, this is the area where you could still have issues. Even if an end user puts it on their steering wheel. it was your supplied materials.

It is so sad that we have to worry about all of this stuff. We live in such a "sue everyone you can" society now

EDIT: Thinking on this more, I do not think it would be a problem. You can buy kits just about anywhere to re-wrap a steering wheel. You know the type, those cheap ones with the punctured holes in them, and the long bit of plastic rope to wrap around it to hold it in place

[This message has been edited by JohnWPB (edited 09-02-2014).]

seq

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2014 11:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for seqSend a Private Message to seqEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JohnWPB:

I like the idea. The kit should have everything needed though, as not many people have large darning style needles laying around.

A comparison could be made to Mr. Mike's seats. His kit included the hog-ring pliers, which are presumably easily obtainable, but something that pretty much nobody ordering his kit would have yet.

------------------
--
Seq

1987 Fiero GT : Information | Gallery

TXGOOD

Feedback score:    (58)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2014 12:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How do companies get by selling the "chain" replacement steering wheels?
Talk about a change from the stock item.
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2014 12:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Before you decide to move forward, see what the competition is doing.
http://www.dallassteeringwheel.com/index.htm
https://www.facebook.com/Da...tom?sk=wall&filter=2

They're a custom operation, so that's likely the high end of what's available. Check out their prices and see what you can offer to compete.
Ang84Indy

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2014 03:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Ang84IndySend a Private Message to Ang84IndyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would be interested in a kit.
jsmorter

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2014 04:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jsmorterSend a Private Message to jsmorterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you are not the person reinstalling the steering wheel then how are you liable?
yellowstone

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 250
Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2014 07:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

Before you decide to move forward, see what the competition is doing.
http://www.dallassteeringwheel.com/index.htm
https://www.facebook.com/Da...tom?sk=wall&filter=2

They're a custom operation, so that's likely the high end of what's available. Check out their prices and see what you can offer to compete.

Dallas Steering Wheel does an awesome job but not cheap...

Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2014 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by yellowstone:

Dallas Steering Wheel does an awesome job but not cheap...

Any idea on the price? I would imagine they'd be the high water mark.
PFF
System Bot
Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2014 09:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sounds to me like the lawyer & the insurance agent are trying to take you for a ride. Imagine this...

Pablo has a flat at home and removes the tire and rolls it to the tire shop. Tire shop guy finds a leaky valve stem core and replaces it and adds air. Pablo returns and puts tire back on car but forgets to torque the nuts. Wheel flies off at 50 mph and he crashes into a bus full of school kids. How is the tire shop at fault?

Now if the tire shop guy gives advice to Pablo on how to tighten the lug nuts and then we may have a case on unclear info and "he said" "she said".

If this kind of stuff stands up the business owners may as well go out of business.

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

mmeyer86gt/gtp

Feedback score:    (161)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 73
Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2014 07:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mmeyer86gt/gtpSend a Private Message to mmeyer86gt/gtpEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i get where your going with this spoon. but i just lost the new job i was hired for so work on this project is at a stand still for a little bit.
Monstertone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2019 05:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonstertoneSend a Private Message to MonstertoneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Simply have someone print up some liability release forms. Have every client sign one & keep copies.
sourmash

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
User Banned

Report this Post12-07-2019 07:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
FOR DISPLAY PURPOSES ONLY. NOT FOR ON OR OFF ROAD USE.
sledcaddie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2019 08:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sledcaddieSend a Private Message to sledcaddieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I agree with Spoon. Your lawyer/insurance rep is taking you for a ride. Another scenario could be: putting in a big power stereo/speakers in your car. With the volume up, you didn't hear the siren, so you got T-boned by a fire truck! Is this the fault of the stereo manufacturer? Definitely NOT.
seq

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2019 01:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for seqSend a Private Message to seqEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
FWIW, Redline Goods doesn't seem to have any legal issues selling steering wheel covers.

------------------
--
Seq

1987 Fiero GT : Information | Gallery

NOTE: If you re-host any of my images on PIP, send me the Image URL and link to this post, and I'll update it.

[This message has been edited by seq (edited 12-16-2019).]

fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2019 11:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Spoon:

Sounds to me like the lawyer & the insurance agent are trying to take you for a ride.

Agreed.

If you were making a new steering wheel assembly, that would be a different matter,
because that would need to be tested for strength and crash worthiness etc.

Recovering a wheel is no different than repainting your dash or putting new covers on your pedals.

Otherwise, Dallas Steering Wheel would have the same issues.
http://dallassteeringwheel.com/

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 12-16-2019).]

sledcaddie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2019 10:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sledcaddieSend a Private Message to sledcaddieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the names of other steering wheel cover resources. Good info in case it's needed in the future.
Phirewire

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2019 08:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhirewireSend a Private Message to PhirewireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

Agreed.

If you were making a new steering wheel assembly, that would be a different matter,
because that would need to be tested for strength and crash worthiness etc.

Recovering a wheel is no different than repainting your dash or putting new covers on your pedals.

Otherwise, Dallas Steering Wheel would have the same issues.
http://dallassteeringwheel.com/

This, and as always the safety net of " Offroad Use Only". Done.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock