Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  I was planning on selling, but I may have changed my mind (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
I was planning on selling, but I may have changed my mind by bmwguru
Started on: 08-31-2014 07:14 AM
Replies: 57 (2008 views)
Last post by: fierobug on 11-14-2014 05:34 PM
bmwguru

Feedback score:    (38)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2014 07:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Some of you know that I was planning on selling off my gold GT 3800s/c. I've been kicking around the idea and the last few months pushed me over the edge. First, the clearcoat literally started falling off in sheets. The final straw was when I drove it to work, the passenger side quarter window fell off.
Mechanically, the car is perfect. It has a new transmission and a spare with a pair of spare axles.

Here is a pic from years ago.

A little more recent...

And here is a few weeks ago and my frustration.

So, I drop it off at the body shop that I have done business with for years. I tell him to keep the bill reasonable because I plan to sell it. He calls me up a few days later and asks me to stop by. He asks why I don't like the car anymore. I told him that I just don't like the gold....it looked great for a few years and faded quickly since the last paint job. He told me the car was painted three times total and If I were to change the color, now is the time to do it.
Puzzled, I look into the shop and find my car with all the body panels removed. My initial thought was to have him just sand and respray the clear, but if he took it that far, let's change the color.

Now, I am looking forward to keeping it. It is funny how when you find the one little thing that was bothering you about the car and fixing it, your prospective changes. I still may sell it, but the price will have to be right.

I'll post more pics in the next few weeks.

Dave

------------------

www.hausofguru.com

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Francis T

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2014 07:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good move!
BTW: What color did you decide on?
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2014 08:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll post up pics of the color once finished. I don't want to post it up in case I hate it and have them change the color.

Dave
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2014 08:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The bigger question is why is the clear coat peeling off in sheets?
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2014 09:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Maaco painted it five years ago. I hoped that with regular washing and waxing, it would have lasted, but it didn't. This time, I'm doing it right. The Maaco paint looked good, but it started to show its age about a year ago.

Dave
Fierochic88

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2014 01:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierochic88Send a Private Message to Fierochic88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My dad had similiar problems with his 85GT. I guess you get what you pay for in end.

Glad to hear you are keeping it!

~ Jen
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2014 01:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Maaco wasn't exactly cheap by their standards. I went with their 5 year (hence the irony) paint job for $2500. I plan to get some in progress pics to post up this week.

Dave
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2014 01:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How much for this paint job?
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2014 05:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I never ask price when I deal with this body shop. I've been dealing with him for many years and he is always fair. Once, I lost my cool and took a shovel to a customer's Audi A6, he fixed it for me at a very reasonable price. I realized after the fact that I may have gone a little overboard.

Dave
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2014 04:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It has come time for me to paint my black 87GT as well. There is a slight bit of peeling but not very much, I have decided on a single stage paint job. With todays high tech enamels you can apply and buff single stage paints to a very high gloss. With black you might not even be able to tell the difference between a single stage and clearcoat job. Basecoat/clearcoat if properly applied probably has a deeper gloss but the clearcoat must be applied while the basecoat is still tacky. It looks like the shop applied the clearcoat while the basecoat was too dry and it didn't take hold. If you have a nice Fiero I would hold on to it. They are a blast to drive. We were at Somerville cruise night last Friday night and parked next to a Vette. The Vette owner remarked "I wish that I owned one of these small supercharged plastic wonders" and he had an LS2 w 400 HP. Just for laughs, I asked him if he wanted to try his luck at the track on street night and he backed down. I never thought that a 3800SC Fiero could be that intimidating but the name "The Black Paralyzer" and the sound of the supercharger seemed to scare him away..

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2014 05:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Dennis LaGrua

15139 posts
Member since May 2000

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 09-01-2014).]

PFF
System Bot
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2014 06:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If the car is parked outside all the time in New Jersey weather I am sure that is very tough on the clear coat what with the ice, snow and then hot sun in the summer. Hope you get a good job that you like
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2014 04:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Typically the gold car stays in my enclosed trailer over the winter. My garage already has the VR6. My orange car stays at the shop. Last year was the first year that the gold car unfortunately wound up outside on the worst possible weather days due to needing the trailer to move my shop.

Mechanically, the car is perfect. I may redo the interior later on. It looks good, but I'd like to add black to mix in with the saddle brown.

Dave
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2014 07:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
After you get it painted try using Malm's pure carnuba wax on it. A perfectionist friend of mind who happens to live in New Jersey told me about it years ago. You won't believe how it enhances the depth and quality of the paint.
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2014 07:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Csjag:

After you get it painted try using Malm's pure carnuba wax on it. A perfectionist friend of mind who happens to live in New Jersey told me about it years ago. You won't believe how it enhances the depth and quality of the paint.

I've been using Zaino. It is made locally and I seem to bump into the owner driving in his Ferrari or Mclaren. The stuff is really good. here are a few pics of my other Fiero from this weekend.

Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2014 08:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Beautiful!!
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2014 04:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What we need more gay Fieros

Looking forward to the finished pictures!

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2014 04:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I do think people end up hating their cars because they dont fix what is wrong with them. They let one thing go.. then another.. then more, then look at it one day and say what a piece of junk.
Its almost never the cars fault
Good choice on keeping it and fixing it.
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2014 04:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jake_Dragon:

What we need more gay Fieros

Looking forward to the finished pictures!

lol.....Here are some in progress pics from yesterday.

Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2014 08:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by bmwguru:

lol.....Here are some in progress pics from yesterday.

All of the best paint jobs seem to be done by disassembling the body panels and thoroughly sanding to remove all of the imperfections. Far more work but best results. I am assuming a coat of plastic adhesion promoter will be applied before the paint goes on..

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H

josef644

Feedback score:    (71)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2014 10:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Remove the two front fenders and fix those door hinges NOW !!!!!!!!!! Piece of cake.

I am gonna gloss black the undersides of my hood and trunk. Saw one that way at a meet, it was fine. Replacement decals are in the mall and Rodney has some.

[This message has been edited by josef644 (edited 09-03-2014).]

PFF
System Bot
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2014 10:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yeah, they are taking off the fenders and the rocker panels next. They called to say that they are pulling the headliner. I'm not crazy about that idea. I know I can strip the interior without breaking anything. They need to repair the area by the sunroof.

Dave
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2014 07:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got the call today that the special order paint arrived and if all goes well, they plan on painting this weekend as long as the prep is done.

Dave

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2014 09:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cant wait to see what color!
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2014 05:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It has been moved to Tuesday or Wednesday. Here are some pics from yesterday. They spent some time repairing the roof that had cracked all the way through by the sunroof. Maybe it is the sticky tires and the torque, but that is just a theory. I dropped of dew wipes for them to change as well.

[This message has been edited by bmwguru (edited 09-07-2014).]

Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2014 09:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks like they are doing a very thorough job.
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2014 02:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here are more pics. They had to repair part of the fastback clip that was improperly previously repaired. I knew about that and they wound up fixing it....I'm glad because that was bothering me.

This is in the booth getting ready to be painted today....

and this came out of the booth yesterday and still need to be wet sanded.....This is the color.

I really fell in love with the color of a 2012 Ford Mustang GT500 and wanted my car that color. It really is a nice blue and every time I see the Mustang, I turn my head so I chose that. The other color I planned on using was Porsche yellow, but I changed my mind. There is a lot of pearl in the blue and the painter sprayed it in a way to make the metallics stand up. I'm really not sure of what that means, but he said it would look great when it is done. I think it will be a nice match with the yellow powdercoated calipers and valve covers.

The side molding, mirrors, decklid vents and fastback inner clips are staying black.

Dave
shandaman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2014 12:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for shandamanClick Here to visit shandaman's HomePageSend a Private Message to shandamanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by bmwguru:

I've been using Zaino. It is made locally and I seem to bump into the owner driving in his Ferrari or Mclaren. The stuff is really good. here are a few pics of my other Fiero from this weekend.

Wow that is like my DREAM paint job.

However my fiero has orig red paint on it in perfect condition as it was garage kept.

Not sure if I should re-paint it more to my style or keep it stock since it will be worth more.

I dont have a garage to keep it in anyways so the paint will fade eventually either way.
fierogt28

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2014 01:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dave, nice to see your keeping the car. Plus, I like the way the bodyshop guys
are doing the job with caution and care. Doing it right is the solution.

The other 88GT you have is very, very nice. That paint job is a classic.

BTW, I notice the front passenger marker light has the older groove molded light...gotta fix that.

Cheers,

------------------

fierogt28

88 GT, Loaded, 5-speed.
88 GT, 5-speed. Beechwood interior, All original.

bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2014 04:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierogt28:

Dave, nice to see your keeping the car. Plus, I like the way the bodyshop guys
are doing the job with caution and care. Doing it right is the solution.

The other 88GT you have is very, very nice. That paint job is a classic.

BTW, I notice the front passenger marker light has the older groove molded light...gotta fix that.

Cheers,

I intentionally had the bumper trim modified to use the grooved molding and the front bumper on that car. I had a 1986 SE that was destroyed the day after Christmas 2000 and the only part left of the car that wasn't destroyed was the front bumper, so I wanted to keep it on my orange car. The SE was the first Fiero I purchased back in 1993 and I was very attached to it.

I stopped by the body shop yesterday to check on the car and it is all painted. I didn't get pics because they were in the middle of buffing it, but the color looks awesome. I am hoping to be able to get some assembled pics this weekend and they are hoping to get the completed for this weekend.

Dave

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2014 09:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thats a very nice blue!
PFF
System Bot
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2014 04:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks....I really like it. The body shop is kind of dark, but here are a few pics from today. i have about 20 or so to go through later this weekend.

Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2014 10:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Csjag:

$34.95 for 1/2 pint on Amazon!!! + 7 bucks to ship it!!

http://www.amazon.com/Malms...x-Pint/dp/B002DRZGU2

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2014 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Spoon

3762 posts
Member since May 2004

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

It has come time for me to paint my black 87GT as well. There is a slight bit of peeling but not very much, I have decided on a single stage paint job. With todays high tech enamels you can apply and buff single stage paints to a very high gloss. With black you might not even be able to tell the difference between a single stage and clearcoat job. Basecoat/clearcoat if properly applied probably has a deeper gloss but the clearcoat must be applied while the basecoat is still tacky. It looks like the shop applied the clearcoat while the basecoat was too dry and it didn't take hold. If you have a nice Fiero I would hold on to it. They are a blast to drive. We were at Somerville cruise night last Friday night and parked next to a Vette. The Vette owner remarked "I wish that I owned one of these small supercharged plastic wonders" and he had an LS2 w 400 HP. Just for laughs, I asked him if he wanted to try his luck at the track on street night and he backed down. I never thought that a 3800SC Fiero could be that intimidating but the name "The Black Paralyzer" and the sound of the supercharger seemed to scare him away..

"Just for laughs, I asked him if he wanted to try his luck at the track on street night and he backed down."

You were bluffing, right?

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2014 03:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Almost complete

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2014 08:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking forward to seeing some pics of this out in the sunlight!
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2014 03:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just picked the car up from the body shop. I will post some pics tomorrow. Let's just say that I am very pleased with the new look of my car.

Dave
Chandler5192

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2014 06:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chandler5192Send a Private Message to Chandler5192Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Definitely looks awesome! I love that color so much! Congrats on finding the love in the car again! I too go in spurts of wanting to get rid of my fiero and driving it a thousand miles a week! Roller coaster of emotions all the time haha
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2014 06:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I took two quick pics today back at my shop. It was overcast outside, so the color didn't pop as much as it will in the sunlight. Here are the pics.

Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2014 06:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow, now that's a killer paint job! The car looks better than new!

------------------
"THE COLUSSUS"

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock